Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 17" MBP Screen Problem

17" MBP Screen Problem
File13
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2007, 12:13 PM

So ive been having this problem for a month or two now (maybe even longer) but while i am using my MBP and have multiple finder windows open, or any windows for that matter, after i go about click on the desktop by either opening more folders or say deleting a folder the screen will blank out all the windows (the desktop will remain). But then when it finally shows back up in like two seconds all the windows are lost. I made alot of music and edit films and when i have to have alot of windows open for different things this almost makes using the computer impossible! The apple said do an archive and install but i dont want to really do that, i dont know if their are any other options perhaps, other than doing a total clean install as well. Im kinda bummed ive been having problems with the MBP because its the first mac laptop that i had and i dropped more than 3k on everything for it just to have it malfunction . I've been a mac user forever via desktop units and never really had problems with my computers but till i got the laptop ive experienced more problems than ever. Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

ibook_steve
May 17, 2007, 01:45 PM

I don't quite understand the problem. You have a bunch of windows open. Then you click on the desktop and they all disappear? Do you mean that the Finder is crashing and relaunching (Finder icon bounces in dock and windows all disappear then reappear in the configuration they were in when you last booted)? If your Finder is constantly crashing like this, first try repairing permissions in Disk Utility. If that doesn't help, do an archive and install. It won't hurt anything. You won't lose any of your settings. You don't have to do a clean install for something like this.

Steve

File13  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2007, 03:30 PM

Well im not sure if the finder is relaunching or not, i cant remember if the dock itself disappears as well. And yeah you got it as far as the problem goes, ill have windows open and if i like right click my desktop a couple times be it sending something to the trash,etc. is when all the windows just disappear. The mac "genius" said he thought it was a redraw problem and told me to just start clean, which im not going to do unless its absolutely necessary.

Northeastern292
Forum Regular
May 17, 2007, 04:28 PM

I have a screen flicker problem on my 15.4" MBP.
The Mac Collection:

Power Mac G4 Sawtooth at 450MHz, Power Mac G4 Gigabit Ethernet at 400MHz, three Power Mac FW800's at 1.0GHz, MacBook Pro at 2.0GHz, my late father's G3 iMac at 350MHz, an iMac at 500MHz, a PowerBook G4 (12-inch VGA) and a PowerBook 170

Sub
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2007, 04:46 PM

Sounds like you might just have expose on. Go to system prefs, and to dashboard and expose, and just make sure you don't have any of the mouse corner functions (on the top) configured.

ibook_steve
May 17, 2007, 05:00 PM

No, this isn't expose. It is Finder relaunching. Follow my advice.

Steve

markponcelet
Dedicated MacNNer
May 23, 2007, 06:58 PM

I agree. This is definitely the Finder crashing.

Disk Utility ought to fix the problem -- hopefully, anyway. The last time this happened to me, I just erased everything and reinstalled. But I'm brutal to my machine anyway. Chances are I do things to it that can never be repaired by a mere utility.

File13  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2007, 11:12 PM

disk utility had nothing to do with it, had to do an archive and install and now it works fine, although i seem to have lost alot of custom installed things in my system preferences (like my mbox install)

Forum Links
Forum Rules