Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > USB vs. audio in/out jack, headset?

USB vs. audio in/out jack, headset?
Thain Esh Kelch
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 15, 2007, 11:36 AM

Im looking for a headset, and not in the particular expensive end. Just for some Skype/Ventrilo when gaming and such. So I was wondering, having a MBP with that fancy audio in/out jackstick, is that gonna give me better quality than a USB-headset? And are there anything else to think of when looking for one?

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 15, 2007, 11:59 AM

If I am not wrong, the built-in line-in port isn't powered... so you may end having to purchase something like Griffin Technology's iMic....... get a USB one... or maybe pair your Mac up with a Bluetooth headset?
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2007, 12:18 PM

andretan is correct - the audio port is line in not mic in.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Thain Esh Kelch  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 15, 2007, 01:02 PM

Ah, I actually though so. Which means, that if I want any kind of audio conference going, I'll need to go USB?

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 15, 2007, 05:29 PM

Thats correct, you need a USB headset, or a USB sound device like the iMic.

Overall, if your going to use it for gaming this is better anyhow, as you can then set the voice chat to come in over the USB headset while keeping the game sounds coming through the laptop speakers. The group of people I game with all use USB headsets for this reason, Mac or PC.
<This space under renovation>

Thain Esh Kelch  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 22, 2007, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Drakino View Post
Overall, if your going to use it for gaming this is better anyhow, as you can then set the voice chat to come in over the USB headset while keeping the game sounds coming through the laptop speakers. The group of people I game with all use USB headsets for this reason, Mac or PC.
A convincing point indeed!

So, can anyone recommend any headsets?

Forum Links
Forum Rules