Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Google Maps through services?

Google Maps through services?
Thain Esh Kelch
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 3, 2008, 05:57 AM

Does anyone know of a simple plugin, so that I can mark an adress anywhere (Especially in a browser), select Google Maps in Services or through a contextual menu, and get it to look it up on Googlemaps.com? I know of the plugin for Adressbook, but I would like one that is systemwide. (Or just Camino-based...)

DarkStarRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 3, 2008, 06:23 AM

Esh you may want to try Google Maps Widget Apple - Downloads - Dashboard Widgets - Google Maps Search
It works for USA, UK & Canada, if looking world-wide you must put (include) the countries name.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2008, 08:05 AM

What if you select the address, right click it and choose "Search in Google". I tested this in Safari with an address and the top link is a Google Map that you can select.

Thain Esh Kelch  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 3, 2008, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by DarkStarRed View Post
Esh you may want to try Google Maps Widget Apple - Downloads - Dashboard Widgets - Google Maps Search
It works for USA, UK & Canada, if looking world-wide you must put (include) the countries name.
Good suggestion, thank you!
Originally Posted by mdc View Post
What if you select the address, right click it and choose "Search in Google". I tested this in Safari with an address and the top link is a Google Map that you can select.
Two problems with this though, it only opens in Safari (Even though I have Camino as my main browser), and it only seems to work with US adresses (It didnt work for me with a danish adress, Googlemaps usually recoignice).

zro
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2008, 12:40 PM

Use this as the URL of a new bookmark:

code:
javascript:if(getSelection()!=''){q=getSelection() ;}else{void(q=prompt('Enter search term (Google maps)',''))};if(q){window.open('http://maps.google.com/maps?q='+escape(q));}

Not actually tested with a danish address, but you can run these (bookmarklets) from most modern browsers. Safari, OmniWeb, Camino, and Firefox all handle them just fine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules