Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > need an app to create pdf documents

need an app to create pdf documents
dmcnickle
Senior User
Oct 20, 2009, 11:12 AM

Is there an application to create or author pdf documents besides Adobe Acrobat?
I want to combine different text documents, photographs, graphics etc. into a pdf document and was hoping to find something other than Acrobat. I can find applications to merge pdf documents.

Thanks for the help

Gregg
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2009, 11:38 AM

Set up your document in a word processor, when you Print, select the PDF drop down in the lower left corner and choose Save as PDF. Do you need something more than that?
( Last edited by Gregg; Oct 21, 2009 at 12:12 PM. )
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2009, 12:19 PM

PDFPen is a great (albeit not free) alternative to Adobe Acrobat.

I use that a lot.

But I agree with Gregg: the layout needs to be done in a separate app. Acrobat or PDFPen is only to give it the finishing touch.

-t

dmcnickle  (op)
Senior User
Oct 20, 2009, 12:27 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I have used the "save as PDF" option before when saving documents. I also need to combine several "text" documents, graphics and photographs into pdf format. Right now they are all separate documents and I want to create one pdf document with all of them.
Will PDFpen do that? What other choices are there?

OnTheKeys
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2009, 01:13 PM

What Gregg was saying is to dump everything into something like Pages or Microsoft Word, which both display picture files as movable text boxes.

And the text documents you can copy/paste in. Any word processor might work (not sure if TextEdit handles image files though).

EndlessMac
Senior User
Oct 20, 2009, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by OnTheKeys View Post
What Gregg was saying is to dump everything into something like Pages or Microsoft Word, which both display picture files as movable text boxes.

And the text documents you can copy/paste in. Any word processor might work (not sure if TextEdit handles image files though).
Yes, that's the quick and easy way to do it with existing software on most people's computers. I've always loved the save as PDF feature which comes standard with Macs.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 20, 2009, 02:23 PM

Also, on Leopard and Snow Leopard, you can use Preview to drag pages from one PDF to another. Easy way to combine PDFs without having to d**c around with a layout app.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2009, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by tooki View Post
d**c
dikc ?

-t

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 20, 2009, 02:40 PM

hahahaha
whoops.