Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Bloom Box

Bloom Box
torsoboy
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2010, 05:10 AM

This is a potentially awesome, game-changing invention. It is a new electricity generating box that is already being used/tested by eBay, Google, Staples, Walmart, FedEx, etc. Supposedly, a box that can create enough electricity for 1 US home is small enough that you could hold it in your hand. The creator's vision is to have it working on residential properties within 3 - 5 years, and have it cost less than $3k to purchase and install. I would buy one for that price.

Check out the video for more details: The Bloom box - 60 Minutes - CBS News

Tee
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 26, 2010, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by torsoboy View Post
This is a potentially awesome, game-changing invention. It is a new electricity generating box that is already being used/tested by eBay, Google, Staples, Walmart, FedEx, etc.
The majority of the savings that those companies are reaping from the Box is actually coming from tax subsidies rather than the Box itself. So, we the taxpayers are actually paying for their savings...

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 26, 2010, 08:19 AM

Over the long term, cutting energy consumption in half is a big deal - both in cost and in terms of other benefits.

Also, decentralizing the electricity supply without losing the efficiency of scale (which so far has made piping it halfway across continents worthwhile) is a *major* advance.

torsoboy  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2010, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Tee View Post
The majority of the savings that those companies are reaping from the Box is actually coming from tax subsidies rather than the Box itself. So, we the taxpayers are actually paying for their savings...
Yes, those companies are getting a tax subsidy, but at the same time they are testing out these boxes and working out the kinks. Right now those big boxes are very expensive, but the home units are supposed to be under $3k. I don't mind paying for this type of research with my tax money.

Tee
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 26, 2010, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by torsoboy View Post
Yes, those companies are getting a tax subsidy, but at the same time they are testing out these boxes and working out the kinks. Right now those big boxes are very expensive, but the home units are supposed to be under $3k. I don't mind paying for this type of research with my tax money.
I don't mind helping to pay for some of the research with tax money, but we are basically funneling tax payer dollars to boost the profits of public companies with this arrangement.

Let them hook-up the test machines to a government building.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 26, 2010, 01:49 PM

I approve of the spending of tax dollars to facilitate adoption of the Less Stupid.

If they tested this stuff in gov't buildings, you'd complain about tax money being spent on unproven technology from a private company. Here, the net effect is similar, but firms like Google and FedEx are funding half the cost, and there's no accusations of corruption and cronyism (except possibly from the lunatic fringe).

Apropos Lunatic Fringe: BEST GAME EVER!

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2010, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Tee View Post
Let them hook-up the test machines to a government building.
How do you know they are not?
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2010, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I approve of the spending of tax dollars to facilitate adoption of the Less Stupid.

If they tested this stuff in gov't buildings, you'd complain about tax money being spent on unproven technology from a private company. Here, the net effect is similar, but firms like Google and FedEx are funding half the cost, and there's no accusations of corruption and cronyism (except possibly from the lunatic fringe). !
I don't mind my tax money to help adopt a technology to help Americans live better and in the pursuit of happiness. Always seems someone has a conspiracy.

Go BloomBox!!!
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

design219
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2010, 04:30 PM

This all looks very promising. Here is something similar, but I don't think it is as fancy.

Looks like little energy stations might be the future.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Forum Links
Forum Rules