Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > '11 iMac memory upgrade - does vendor matter?

'11 iMac memory upgrade - does vendor matter?
ph0ust
Senior User
Jul 27, 2011, 01:51 PM

I'm going to order a new, loaded iMac but would rather buy 16GB of RAM outside of Apple's crazy prices. In the past, I never thought the memory manufacturer mattered and I'm wondering if that is still the case. Recently my company upgraded a few devices and it seriously affected a Mac Mini. I normally buy from Amazon and get either Corsair, Kingston or Crucial, which all seem like good vendors. I'm also looking at buying right from Samsung, which is only a bit more but should be exactly what Apple uses when it upgrades memory, yes? The Samsung memory is here: http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/m...ge/MV-3T4G4/US (model: MV-3T4G4).

Any advice here? I know there are a million memory upgrade threads. There isn't a sticky on the subject at the moment though and I figured perhaps now is time to see if things are status quo or if anything has changed. Thanks.
( Last edited by ph0ust; Jul 27, 2011 at 02:48 PM. Reason: had wrong link and product model)

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2011, 01:53 PM

The previous generation regularly had serious issues when upgraded to 16 GB using anything other than Samsung memory.

I don't know whether that's still true. Fact is, the Samsung worked better than any other brand, for reasons that are bordering on the metaphysical.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2011, 02:03 PM

Apple also uses Hynix.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ph0ust  (op)
Senior User
Jul 27, 2011, 02:38 PM

Is there a way to confirm the model of Samsung RAM used in current iMac lineup? I haven't found that anywhere online.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2011, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Apple also uses Hynix.
Not in the previous-generation iMacs, AFAIK.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2011, 03:13 PM

You could well be right. I don't get to service new ones as often as I used to.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Rev2Liv
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 29, 2011, 03:48 AM

I'm currently running 16gb (4x4) MV-3T4G4/US Samsung RAM in my 2011, core i7 quad-core iMac. It's been very reliable. No memory errors.

Forum Links
Forum Rules