Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > IBM Travelstar 20G HD - CRUNCH....

IBM Travelstar 20G HD - CRUNCH....
ymir23
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2000, 03:55 PM

A friend and both ordered IBM Travelstar 20G HD's the same day from the same site (Megahaus), for our Pismo's. His is completely silent, the quietest I've ever (not) heard.

Mine, however, crunched like mad at every operation, driving me crazy. It would also make an occassional, horrendously loud snapping sound. So, I returned it and they sent me another. Installed it. Same problem, without the snapping. The crunching makes me _very_ nervous.

I've read other posts here regarding the silent performance of this drive. That's why I bought it. Is it possible that I have something set up wrong, somewhere in the system? I'd like some feedback before I bug Megahaus again for yet another drive.

Dakkon
Forum Regular
Dec 15, 2000, 04:20 PM

The only problem that I seen, is that you have TERRIBLE luck with hard drives. Have you called IBM? See what they have to say, tell them that this is the 2nd drive that you have received and they both have mad unusually loud noises. I've had an IBM drive go bad on me before, I called them and they were quite helpful.

As I stated above you got crappy luck, the way that I see it anyway.

Give megahaus a call and tell them the situation.

Forum Links
Forum Rules