Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Is LinuxPPC dead?

Is LinuxPPC dead?
natro301
Forum Regular
Jan 1, 2002, 04:51 PM

Well is it?There still 4th Q 2000 Rev of there

man0
Jan 2, 2002, 09:33 AM

Originally posted by natro301:
<STRONG>Well is it?There still 4th Q 2000 Rev of there </STRONG>
as far as i know people working on the project abanddoned it...so i think it is dead...Q4 was the latest release...but i am not sure about it
------&gt;man0

cwagar
Jan 2, 2002, 12:29 PM

Originally posted by natro301:
<STRONG>Well is it?There still 4th Q 2000 Rev of there </STRONG>
http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2002, 01:03 PM

The company that made LinuxPPC disbaned and is trying to reform as a not-for-profit firm that will help fund and over see Linux development on all PPC platforms.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2002, 03:04 PM

How much of a market exists for Linux on the Mac? It there an active user community? With OS X, the Unix jones is filled, and Linux has always been much better supported on x86.

Please don't take this as a criticism of the movement or it's users, but Linux on Mac was always a bit fringe, and with OS X in full swing, I think it begining to really sputter.

Thought?

Paco

Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 14, 2002, 03:36 PM

Yellodog seems to be surviving so far. They have some cool stuff.. their black lab dist. computing setup is popular in universities etc. I think.

I just downloaded the latest LinuxPPC image but the burned disk doesn't seem to boot.

Any suggestions?

thanks

bd
1.25GHz PowerBook

i vostri seni sono spettacolari

msykes
Senior User
Jan 15, 2002, 04:38 AM

It really does seem that linux on the mac has lost a lot of it's appeal with the advent of Mac OSX. I used to dual boot OS9/Linux on my laptop, being a graduate student in a primarily x86 linux research lab. I really wanted linux there to be able to do some light development work (plus I just love the command line), but I certainly didn't need to do any heavy duty development, and dual-booting was just a real pain. OSX is the ideal OS for me, unix with all the good mac stuff to, and I'm certainly not the only person that feels this way. None of us who use Macintoshes run linux anymore, it just really doesn't seem to have much to offer that OSX doesn't.

Maybe that's a good question, what can linux offer that OSX cannot?

msykes

Jansar
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2002, 11:02 AM

Although LinuxPPC is no more, there's nothing to miss at all. There are many other Linux distributions out there for the Mac, which are all much better than LinuxPPC. I would recommend either Debian or YDL for first time users.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

agentz
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2002, 04:18 PM

We've just put Yello Dog on a couple of RevA iBooks - just don't ask why! The installation itself was nowhere near as straightforward as it should've been.

Boondoggle - had the a similar problem, but we couldn't even get the iso image to burn properly. Then it did burn but wouldn't boot. Eventually got it to work by using another Linux system (I forget, it was a colleagues home system) to burn the discs.

First couple of times, we selected the graphical installer and it hung consistantly at about 70% complete. Re-ran the installer in text mode and again it hung at about 65% this time. Reformatted the drive and the install went sweet as anything. Going to put OS9 back onto the drive again as we need the machines to be dual-bootable.

But with the advent of OSX, two words spring to mind - never again!
MI5 doesn't do evil. Just treachery, treason and armageddon.

Jansar
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2002, 06:31 PM

Originally posted by agentz:
<STRONG>But with the advent of OSX, two words spring to mind - never again!</STRONG>
True, but for those Linux freaks out there like me, Linux still needs to be there. It may also be UNIX like Mac OS X, but it's an entirely different kernel.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2002, 02:48 PM

The real appeal of Linux on PPC to me is running it on old hardware. We ran our entire domain including email, web server, and DNS on a Powermac 6100/66 running LinuxPPC for 2 years with about 6 months between reboots. It's now on a couple of G4s running OSX, but it does show that Linux on PPC has a viable role. You can't put OSX on a 6100 (maybe darwin, who knows?)
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2002, 05:25 PM

I like Yellow Dog. It works really well on my G4/400. The thing about about Mac OS X's Darwin core is it is non-standard even by BSD standards (Hello? NetInfo) which makes porting more challenging than it should be.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2002, 12:47 PM

Its interesting to know that "big" PC Linux distros have offered their distributions for the PowerPC as well. Debian, Mandrake, SuSE, and TurboLinux among others have made PPC distributions of Linux.

I've tried LinuxPPC 2K/Q4, YDL 2.1, MDK8-PPC, and DebianPPC, and so far I've given YDL2.1 and MDK8-PPC as my favorites. Debian is nice in that it has apt, which makes maintaining programs a little bit easier. I've always had problems "managing" applications though, and sometimes Linux on the Mac doesn't "feel" as comfortable as on the PC.

Angrysmiley
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2002, 04:04 AM

Well YDL is the best distro towards the PPC platform in my opinion, i never had any problem buring YDL images... when it comes to LinuxPPC images some of them are not in iso format, but toast images, it is mentioned in the readme files.

I also use Linux more frequent than OSX, due to the fact that Apple has decided not to provide accelerated drivers for 99 Powerbook (Lombard).

Furthermore the Terminal application in OSX has some limitations, for instance when it comes to remote scrollback, (Im unable to use GLTerm for some reason). //

SATOSHI
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2002, 07:45 AM

Are they officially dead? I can't seem to connect to either &lt;a href="http://www.linuxppc.org/&gt;linuxppc.org&lt;/a&gt; or &lt;a href="http://www.linuxppc.com/"&gt;linuxppc.com&lt;/a&gt;.

jcadam
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2002, 01:19 AM

If I were building a box to run Linux on, I go x86 for sure.

Hmm.... maybe Linux would be a good idea for my G3 Beige carcass(needs drives and a keyboard, stole the ADB keyboard for my B&W) I've got shoved under my bed

You know you're a geek when you have a dead G3 Beige, an Amiga 500, and a big-a$$ PC-AT shoved under your bed.
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

Forum Links
Forum Rules