Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Cannot install OS X on new hard drive?!?

Cannot install OS X on new hard drive?!?
david33
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 2004, 07:20 PM

I just installed a new hard drive on my G3 iBook and everything went well up until the installation of the operating system. The computer works. It started up from the installation disk, but the computer would not recognize the new hard drive. When I opened disk utility, it listed the hard drive so I formatted the disk to Mac OS Extended (Journaled), but when I went back to the installer the computer said that I couldn't install or start up from the hard drive. What is going on?!? Do I need to format it in a particular way? Is there anything I can do? I thank any advice you can give in advance. PLEASE HELP ME!

david33  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 2004, 07:27 PM

Never mind the post---I figured it out!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2004, 04:38 PM

Originally posted by david33:
Never mind the post---I figured it out!
So, let us know ?!?!?

Or was it plain stupidity ?

-t

david33  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2004, 06:51 PM

It WAS plain stupidity. I installed the OS and everything went well. It was working perfectly fine last night and this morning, but now it's all screwed up. It won't start up. Instead it beeps three times and then the LED blinks four times, over and over. From other posts that I've read I guess it has something to do with the RAM, but who knows. I got this ibook for free becasue it had a busted hard drive, but now after putting in a new one, I don't know what's wrong!?! Is it me or is it the damn machine. Should I bite the bullet and take into an Apple Store to see if it is worth fixing?

david33  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2004, 08:10 PM

This is ridiculous. Now the damn thing works. I didn't do anything to it. I got home and figured I'd give it one more try. So I just plugged it in, started it up, and then heard that wonderful tone. This thing needs to be exorcised by a priest or somethingl. Either way it was free, so I can't really complain. Has anyone else who has experienced this problem figured out the cause? (or the solution)

Forum Links
Forum Rules