Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Problems with magsafe adapter on MB?

Problems with magsafe adapter on MB?
david33
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2006, 03:16 PM

I just bought a new Blackbook and I need to buy an extra magsafe adapter to keep at work. Upon looking at the reviews of the magsafe adapter on the Apple website, I could not believe how many people have had problems with them. Many were screaming for a recall. Has anyone on this forum had any problems with their adapter? Have the adapters been revised with the new revisions of the MB and MBP? Should I hold off from buying an extra one until the "problem" is fixed?
( Last edited by david33; Nov 12, 2006 at 05:04 PM. )

masugu
Senior User
Nov 12, 2006, 05:05 PM

some have complained that the devices get hot...some say they hear "crackling" noises. Mine do get warm at times, but most all PC power bricks do.

I would just buy a spare...use the 3-prong cable it comes with. Simply plugging in the little brick is not the best solution. It often won't stay plugged in a socket as the weight can unplug it!
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

acoustix
Nov 13, 2006, 12:38 AM

The temperature your MacBook runs at is kind of your responsibility these days. I installed Fan Control 1.1 and keep my MacBook cool by adjusting the fan speed and cut in/cut out parameters. I did not install the (very latest) firmware update as it is not reversable and as a technician, I don't fix things that aren't broken, and my Book has so far mercifully been spared the widespread problems. When I first received it, it ran very hot, over the F keys and around the MagSafe connection. It is much cooler now with Fan Control.
MacBook 2.0/60GB/2.0GB
iBook 1.42/60GB/1.0GB
iBook 300/6GB/320MB

Retrograde
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2006, 02:22 AM

The magsafe adapter on my wife's MBP has problems as it stops sending current through to the MBP and the little light on the plug goes out. I have tried figuring out the cause of this and it appears that where the cable meets the plug (the plug with the light attached directly to the MBP) there is a short. Wiggling the cable about at the computer end seems to turn the plug light on and off until I twist the cable the right way for the little light to stay on. It isn't where the adapter plugs in at the wall. So it will have to go back to Apple soon.
Ceci n'est pas une pomme. Magritte

HouseSold
Senior User
Nov 13, 2006, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by Retrograde View Post
The magsafe adapter on my wife's MBP has problems as it stops sending current through to the MBP and the little light on the plug goes out. I have tried figuring out the cause of this and it appears that where the cable meets the plug (the plug with the light attached directly to the MBP) there is a short. Wiggling the cable about at the computer end seems to turn the plug light on and off until I twist the cable the right way for the little light to stay on. It isn't where the adapter plugs in at the wall. So it will have to go back to Apple soon.

We had the same trouble and Apple sent another overnite DHL with a return label for the original.

The replacement is much improved and a little cooler with a heavier supply cable. Maybe my imagination, but the MagSafe seems stronger.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2006, 03:49 AM

The only gripe I have about my MB's magsafe is that comes out pretty easily sometimes. I had the no light thing happen once. But it has also already saved my laptop from major damage, soooo. I like it. I lost a power adapter once, as well as a printer because of the very problem that magsafe pevents. I like Magsafe overall, but it is not perfect.
( Last edited by Tuoder; Nov 13, 2006 at 04:04 AM. Reason: moronic spelling errors)

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 13, 2006, 11:12 AM

My MBP's magsafe is STIFF but otherwise it's been perfect. I'm thinking of changing from wrapping the cord around the cord hooks and just wrapping it around the body of the brick because the cord seems to be getting sort of kinked, but that's the only thing I've thought of being less than great.

Keep in mind that you're very UNLIKELY to find lots of glowing praise in online posts-people are lazy that way and tend to only provide negative feedback. The "these things need to be recalled" stuff is really over the top, though. If you overtwist any piece of cable it will fatigue and fail, and junctions between cables and connectors are particularly sensitive to this sort of fatigue. If they made the connector swivel that would probably eliminate most of the "at the magsafe connector" problems, but it would change the whole dynamic of how the thing's safety features work in the first place.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

HouseSold
Senior User
Nov 13, 2006, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
My MBP's magsafe is STIFF but otherwise it's been perfect. I'm thinking of changing from wrapping the cord around the cord hooks and just wrapping it around the body of the brick because the cord seems to be getting sort of kinked, but that's the only thing I've thought of being less than great.

Keep in mind that you're very UNLIKELY to find lots of glowing praise in online posts-people are lazy that way and tend to only provide negative feedback. The "these things need to be recalled" stuff is really over the top, though. If you overtwist any piece of cable it will fatigue and fail, and junctions between cables and connectors are particularly sensitive to this sort of fatigue. If they made the connector swivel that would probably eliminate most of the "at the magsafe connector" problems, but it would change the whole dynamic of how the thing's safety features work in the first place.

The adapters have been subtly redesigned and improved, looking at revisions, side by side. Wrapping the cord around the shell of the power adapter is the natural way to wrap the cord, but this method over time is too fragile on the earliest models. Also, greatly overlooked is the supplied (when new) end cap for the MagSafe electrical connector for the MacBook and MacBook Pro's electrical end connector which is susceptible to normal grit over time, most especially basic lint existing everywhere, which can make for less than perfect contact. Use this vital cap when leaving home or traveling. it will save the connector from all the unknowns while it is disconnected from your MacBook or MacBook Pro.

Let common sense prevail and pick up a 2nd adapter for work (and as a fail safe back up unit)

david33  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2006, 12:10 PM

I tend to agree with your thoughts, but the sheer number of complaints on Apple's site is crazy. I really like the magsafe, but I don't like the idea of needing to shell out another $80 down the road. I guess I'll have to wait and see how my new adapter handles my daily routine.

uribendovid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2006, 05:54 PM

the other night my magsafe's rubber shielding warped and melted a hole (about the size of a pea) in itself near the connector...macbook was undamaged, magsafe was replaced at apple store 20 hours later yay apple

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 14, 2006, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by HouseSold View Post
The adapters have been subtly redesigned and improved, looking at revisions, side by side. Wrapping the cord around the shell of the power adapter is the natural way to wrap the cord, but this method over time is too fragile on the earliest models. Also, greatly overlooked is the supplied (when new) end cap for the MagSafe electrical connector for the MacBook and MacBook Pro's electrical end connector which is susceptible to normal grit over time, most especially basic lint existing everywhere, which can make for less than perfect contact. Use this vital cap when leaving home or traveling. it will save the connector from all the unknowns while it is disconnected from your MacBook or MacBook Pro.

Let common sense prevail and pick up a 2nd adapter for work (and as a fail safe back up unit)
I am looking at the connector cover for my magsafe right now-but the way I use it, this cover wouldn't last a day-my pack is not a "friendly" environment. I'm thinking of getting a padded bag to keep the charger in, along with the cord, carefully wrapped in a circle. Something the size of a Chivas bag (for those who don't know, Chivas Regal scotch whiskey comes in a velvet bag of about 15cm wide and 30cm tall (6"X12") which would be more than adequate for an MBP charger.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

HouseSold
Senior User
Nov 15, 2006, 01:45 AM

I am looking at the connector cover for my magsafe right now-but the way I use it, this cover wouldn't last a day-my pack is not a "friendly" environment. I'm thinking of getting a padded bag to keep the charger in, along with the cord, carefully wrapped in a circle. Something the size of a Chivas bag (for those who don't know, Chivas Regal scotch whiskey comes in a velvet bag of about 15cm wide and 30cm tall (6"X12") which would be more than adequate for an MBP charger.
A small rubber band looped, if necessary, will work to keep the cap in place. A small paper clip shaped around and over the cord then over the cap as a retainer, should also work in a back pack environment.

Schmutz in the open connector can impair the electrical connection over time. It is a lower voltage vs house current that is there.

The Sony Vaio 13" laptop neoprene sleeve (Amazon, Frys, Circuit City) that fits the MacBook came with a separate neoprene zippered bag/pouch that's perfect for the adapter.

Forum Links
Forum Rules