Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Nintendo Wii

Nintendo Wii (Page 39)
wallinbl
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2006, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
Nintendo is trying to protect kids with this nonsense and it is baffling as the Wii has parental controls anyway so they should treat every customer like a pedophile target.
I think they care more about that market than they do about you. They don't care if you are inconvenienced so long as they don't get any press along the lines of what MySpace gets. Parents of preteens are scared to death of MySpace.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2006, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
I think they care more about that market than they do about you. They don't care if you are inconvenienced so long as they don't get any press along the lines of what MySpace gets. Parents of preteens are scared to death of MySpace.
But the point is the Wii already has parental controls that let you limit things so it should just have been an option within there.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2006, 01:52 PM

But the point is the Wii already has parental controls that let you limit things so it should just have been an option within there.
You could make the same argument about MySpace on computers.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2006, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
You could make the same argument about MySpace on computers.
Ya brilliant answer.

Anywho, these Japanese warning instructions are awesome. I thought they were smart enough in Japan to know that you shouldn't stick 4 leaf clovers or pour drinks on your Wii.

The Japanese Super Safe Wii Safety Manual - Kotaku

What does this one mean? Don't sell your wii at a garage sale with your old socks?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2006, 02:13 PM

Be careful with the Wiimote. Don't spill things on the Wii. Don't stick things in the fan vent. Don't leave your Wii outside.

Doesn't look that hard to me.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2006, 02:17 PM

I would say "don't throw away as household waste".

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2006, 02:18 PM

Be careful with the Wiimote. Don't spill things on the Wii. Don't stick things in the fan vent. Don't leave your Wii outside.

Thank you for even being on the defense when I was being light hearted about it. Somehow being a Nintendo fan has sucked all the fun out of you

Online games in Q2 not Q1:

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/12/04/re...es-in-q2-2007/

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2006, 02:43 PM

I finally was able to pick up a Wii from Target yesterday. Zelda is a freaking blast to play, though it's not as easy to fight when you're the wolf. OoT was one of my favorite games and had a great UI, and I like how well Nintendo uses the Wiimote & Nunchuck for fighting. It seems easier than the button combos for the GC.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2006, 02:46 PM

Which Target?!?!?! I can have my bro snag one if they still have any!
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2006, 02:49 PM

And correct me if I'm wrong: it only ships with 1 controller, so I'll need to get a second Wiimote and nunchuck for 2-player games, right?
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 4, 2006, 02:56 PM

What does this one mean? Don't sell your wii at a garage sale with your old socks?
In Japan, you have to separate your garbage into "burnable" and "non-burnable" trash, so they're saying that you can't dispose of the Wii with the burnable garbage.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2006, 02:58 PM

The sign above the pile says it's trash that's meant for burning. So I suppose they're saying not to put it in with your flammable trash. (Like most countries have normal trash and recyclable trash, flammable trash is another type in Japan.)
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2006, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by JHromadka View Post
I finally was able to pick up a Wii from Target yesterday. Zelda is a freaking blast to play, though it's not as easy to fight when you're the wolf. OoT was one of my favorite games and had a great UI, and I like how well Nintendo uses the Wiimote & Nunchuck for fighting. It seems easier than the button combos for the GC.
I just got it at Target too. I find fighting as the wolf a lot easier so far, though. That circle attack is pure cheese.

I wish you the ability to move the camera around (I keep missing clues on the ground just because they don't appear on the screen), but otherwise, I like the controls a lot too. It's much easier to pull off, for example, the spin attack by shaking the nunchuck than it was to do a 360 and swipe or whatever it was in the last game.

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
And correct me if I'm wrong: it only ships with 1 controller, so I'll need to get a second Wiimote and nunchuck for 2-player games, right?
Correct. Though not all games use the nunchuck, so you might not need it, depending on what you want to play.
Chuck
___

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2006, 03:14 PM

I like the "bad luck to insert four-leaf clovers into fan vent" diagram myself.

Calimus
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2006, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
Yes, depending on the game you'll only need a Wiimote (for instance in Wii sports, the only game that uses both is boxing, the others ask you to disconnect the Nunchuck before you can play).

I've been having a heck of a time finding any controllers though. I got the last system a week ago at a local store, but have been calling places all week looking for a second controller.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2006, 05:02 PM

Don't stick things in the fan vent. Don't leave your Wii outside.

Yet you still got it wrong.

Who needs to be told not to leave expensive games systems outside?

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2006, 05:47 PM

Ok it has messaging but who really uses that over real email anyway?
Your age is showing, as is mine. I don't like instant messaging either, but I can't deny the trends: it sees almost as much use as e-mail nowadays, and it's continuing to take mindshare away from e-mail.
The friends codes are so stupid with those long numbers, you can't even remember your own.
Better than having to put long strings of digits after your chosen name because it's already taken. I rather prefer being able to refer to myself as whatever I please, because the uniqueness of my account isn't tied to my username. This is no worse than phone numbers.
Nintendo is trying to protect kids with this nonsense and it is baffling as the Wii has parental controls anyway so they should treat every customer like a pedophile target.
Numeric IDs equal parental controls? Dude; I want some of whatever you're smoking.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2006, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium View Post
Numeric IDs equal parental controls? Dude; I want some of whatever you're smoking.
You wanna tell me why else? it is for privacy.

God forbid someone knows my Xbox Live ID of "Silly Hoe" much better to have 928-398-315-498-196

Also is it one code per SYSTEM or user?

Railroader
Banned
Dec 4, 2006, 06:27 PM

Ok it has messaging but who really uses that over real email anyway?
From my experience, most kids under 20 send way more IMs far and above any email. And for the under 16 crowd most don't even use email at all.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2006, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
From my experience, most kids under 20 send way more IMs far and above any email. And for the under 16 crowd most don't even use email at all.
I literally get people saying "myspace me" WTF?

Railroader
Banned
Dec 4, 2006, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by zerostar View Post
I literally get people saying "myspace me" WTF?
Exactly.

Calimus
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2006, 08:28 PM

You wanna tell me why else? it is for privacy.

God forbid someone knows my Xbox Live ID of "Silly Hoe" much better to have 928-398-315-498-196

Also is it one code per SYSTEM or user?
Per system as far as I can tell. Fits better with the whole "the family system" idea where any friend on the system would be a friend of everybody that plays the system, plus easier for parents to monitor I suppose.

Makes it a bit confusing if a friend is sending messages to say.. little billy, and the whole family uses the console, I'm not sure how you would know who the message was to besides putting a "To name:" at the top of your messages.
( Last edited by Calimus; Dec 4, 2006 at 08:34 PM. )

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2006, 09:20 PM

Score.

Went to NYC today for the Christmas Show at Radio City. Passed by TRU, waited on line for 15 minutes. They had THOUSANDS of them. From what the security guard said, they received a sh*tload, and have been selling them since yesterday at a steady pace.

I set it up. NO LAG ON THE Wii MENU. I have yet to try a game, and I'm late for going out for football (cross fingers that the Eagles lose). I'll report back later.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

zerostar
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2006, 09:22 PM

I had to box mine up and now it sits for 21 days... I didn't have any lag either.... 36" CRT though...

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2006, 09:26 PM

So anyone hearing these rumors about one big surprise left on the Wii?

zerostar
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2006, 09:37 PM

I want Wii Play!!! Maybe that is it?

Anyways, I got an S-Video question....

I am considering getting the s-video cables for my Wii. A couple reasons...

1) My Pelican switcher, while it supports component, everything is hooked up via s-video besides my dvd player (taking up the 1 component in the back of my TV)

2) I don't have an HDTV, I have a nice Sony 36" CRT Wega it takes component in but it doesn't even support 480p.

3) I will be getting a new TV but not till probably end of 2K7 unless I get a bonus this year as I have all my funds allocated right now... so no need for 480p YET

Should I go component or s-video with this setup, seems to me the quality difference would be small on an SDTV and make it a paint for my switcher to work properly (not a huge deal, but 1-button switching is WHY i have a switcher)

Thanks for any opinions....

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 4, 2006, 09:45 PM

If you know you're going to get an HDTV eventually, why not just get the component cables now? Seems to make more sense than buying two sets of cables.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2006, 09:48 PM

Yeah I guess so... I gotta get another set for the switcher so I can go between the DVD and Wii I guess.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2006, 09:54 PM

I want Wii Play!!! Maybe that is it?
I'm unfamiliar with what that is.

I'm putting forth online play for retro titles (if the rumors of a surprise are true). The Wii isn't fully online yet, correct?

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2006, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Score.

Went to NYC today for the Christmas Show at Radio City. Passed by TRU, waited on line for 15 minutes. They had THOUSANDS of them. From what the security guard said, they received a sh*tload, and have been selling them since yesterday at a steady pace.

I set it up. NO LAG ON THE Wii MENU. I have yet to try a game, and I'm late for going out for football (cross fingers that the Eagles lose). I'll report back later.
Good to know. Might head up there and pick one up.

"I start fires!"

zerostar
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2006, 10:01 PM

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2006, 10:05 PM

Thanks.

I'm not sure that something that is so well documented would be the secret, though (But what the hell do I know).

zerostar
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2006, 10:09 PM

Yeah, I was joking, but the Wiki says it comes with the Wiimote, this isn't the case is it?

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2006, 10:13 PM

I wouldn't know, I haven't been in a store since before either system was released.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 4, 2006, 10:16 PM

Yeah, I was joking, but the Wiki says it comes with the Wiimote, this isn't the case is it?
In Japan, I think it does. And they also have the Classic Controller bundled with a 5000 Wii Points card. Not to mention a MUCH better virtual console selection.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2006, 10:16 PM

set it up. NO LAG ON THE Wii MENU.
Ditto. I do see the same lag SWG was talking about in Zelda menus, though. It seems to be some kind of motion-smoothing algorithm, because my hands are normally very shaky, but the cursor is stationary on the Zelda menu.
Chuck
___

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 4, 2006, 10:19 PM

There is very little lag on the Wii menu compared to in some games. You can see if you do the laser pointer trick, but it's not a problem at all. I wish the games were as responsive.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2006, 11:10 PM

Well, Toys R' Us in Times Square sold out earlier today. Didn't get one. They had a huge bin of nunchucks, though. Thought about getting a few to put on eBay, but I figured it wasn't worth the hassle if I didn't also have a console to sell. I asked the woman if they had any Wiis and she looked at me like I just asked for a hamburger. Repeated myself and she said "Oh... sold out today." Oh well. Might get a 360, but not tonight.

"I start fires!"

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2006, 12:28 AM

Tennis: cool, but I had my first Wii casualty. I swung too much and knocked over a glass of iced tea. Mail works. Trying Zelda next.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 5, 2006, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by MaxPower2k3 View Post
I asked the woman if they had any Wiis and she looked at me like I just asked for a hamburger. Repeated myself and she said "Oh... sold out today." Oh well. Might get a 360, but not tonight.
Did you ask for "Wiis" or "Nintendo Wiis"? A side effect of Nintendo's choice of name is that if you don't say "Nintendo Wii" it's hard for people to understand what the hell you're talking about, but "Nintendo Wii" sounds kind of lame.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2006, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Ditto. I do see the same lag SWG was talking about in Zelda menus, though. It seems to be some kind of motion-smoothing algorithm, because my hands are normally very shaky, but the cursor is stationary on the Zelda menu.
The same lag is also when NOT in the menus when playing Zelda. Also in raving rabbits.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2006, 01:02 AM

Mail - either it's slow, or something, but I had to send the verification email twice. Entourage thinks Wiimail is spam

Zelda - in the first 10 seconds of OoT I was hooked. I'm bored already with TP. I'll give it time, but so far I'm not really impressed. I don't see/feel lag in TP.

The controllers - I already hate Nintendo for the stupid wrist strap. I can't just put the controller down, I have to remove it from my body. Stupid. I really don't see a SERIOUS advantage in using the Wii controller over any other type of previous console analog controller with Zelda. Sure, it's neat, but it's not THAT neat. Again, maybe later.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2006, 01:35 AM

Zelda - in the first 10 seconds of OoT I was hooked. I'm bored already with TP. I'll give it time, but so far I'm not really impressed. I don't see/feel lag in TP.
Everybody — even the glowing reviews — have said that Twilight Princess takes a little while before it gets going. (I'm not saying that's a good thing, just that it might be worth it to go on a little longer.)
Chuck
___

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 5, 2006, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Everybody — even the glowing reviews — have said that Twilight Princess takes a little while before it gets going. (I'm not saying that's a good thing, just that it might be worth it to go on a little longer.)
Yeah. You probably won't get hooked until the 3rd dungeon at least. (Water Temple FTW!)

At least there is no damn Triforce hunt. Now that was boring.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2006, 01:50 AM

Couldn't find Classic Controllers anywhere. "No biggie" I thought. Downloaded Super Mario 64, and the screen had the icons of the CC and the GC controller. Well, it turns out that SM64 won't work without the CC. Terrific.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 5, 2006, 01:59 AM

Couldn't find Classic Controllers anywhere. "No biggie" I thought. Downloaded Super Mario 64, and the screen had the icons of the CC and the GC controller. Well, it turns out that SM64 won't work without the CC. Terrific.
Sounds like a bug. I don't have any Gamecube controllers, otherwise I'd try it out. But I do remember when I downloaded Super Mario 64 it showed both the Gamecube pads and the Classic controllers.

Odd, Gamespot says the opposite, that it claimed to require the Classic controller but work fine with the Gamecube Pad:

Super Mario 64 for Wii Review - Wii Super Mario 64 Review

Here is a thread on the topic:
I am experiencing problems with Super Mario 64 - Nintendo Wii Forum

Try plugging into Port #4. Apparently Nintendo may have numbered the ports from back to front, so what looks like Port #4 is really Port #1.

Edit: Kotaku notes the same thing (read the comments for fixes):
Wii Mario 64 Requires Classic Controller - Kotaku

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2006, 02:18 AM

Ah. That worked. Thanks.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2006, 02:26 AM

Wii Have A Problem...

#2 on the list happened to me already, althought the glass didn't break, it just fell over.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2006, 03:06 AM

Man, even the staunchest opponents of Nintendo have purchased this thing! crazy.

2 days to go here in Australia.....

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 5, 2006, 03:34 AM

I'm in my post Zelda slump. The downside of buying party games is they are lame to play without a party. I'll wait until the next round of Wii games. In the mean time I'm going back and playing Mario 64 (never did beat it, but I got to the 3rd floor).

It's good that I already beat Zelda though. Otherwise I'd be distracted for my finals this week.

The side quests are fun, although there is one that is pissing me off right now. It's the one that starts under a bridge. Every time I leave to go boost my health back up it makes me start all over again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules