Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple's Five Most Beautiful Products Ever?

Apple's Five Most Beautiful Products Ever? (Page 2)
CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2007, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by SirCastor View Post
-The Powerbook G4... Amazing. Absolutely amazing.
I actually don't like the design of the Titanium PowerBooks. The paint tends to peel off after they're a few years old, and then they start to look really junky.

I think the design of the aluminum PowerBooks (and the MBP, since it's the same design) is/was much better.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2007, 02:11 AM

No question about it. It's a gorgeous machine, and one of the first Macs that ever caught my attention. I would absolutely buy one if they released it with Intel Inside™, even if it was just a Mac Mini.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Koralatov  (op)
Senior User
Oct 4, 2007, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by Judge_Fire View Post
1) The full cube setup, which I'm happy to own. It was a great machine and one can always hope...
It is a truly beautiful machine, and I can't wait to get my hands on mine. If only there wasn't a postal strike on just now!

I never really liked that mod, though. It never looked quite right. The handles just looked weird on the casing—totally out of proportion with the rest of it. Also, I did worry about cooling; the stock Cube cools by convection, but that Cube is at a ninety-degree angle so, unless it has a fan, surely it would overheat?

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy View Post
If Apple did this I would be on the Apple Store site ordering one within five minutes of hearing the news.

You know . . . you're right. A Mac mini could easily fit inside the semi-circular base of that model iMac. I wonder if it is possible to retro-fit a g4 iMac with a mini on the inside. Hmmm? (goes to Google to find out)
I'd be all over an Intel iMac G4 like a rash. I did think about trying to retrofit a mini into my iMac, but I really don't have the technical know-how. A mod of that complexity is beyond me. If you find anything, though, please do let me know!

Another idea I had along a similar line was a kit for the Mac mini that basically comprises of a base that the mini slots into with a VESA-compatible arm-mount attached, effectively emulating the iMac G4's basic form, if not its style exactly. I thought if it was all aluminium, and the base was weighted correctly, you could easily fit a Cinema Display (or any LCD) on the VESA mount. Also, if you were so inclined to manufacture such a thing, you could include a FireWire hard-disk in the base unit.

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
I must be the only person alive who really disliked the iMac G4. Love the 24" white iMac however - one of the best Macs ever built, IMO.
That's dangerous talk around these parts!

JonoMarshall
Senior User
Oct 4, 2007, 05:47 AM

I'd be all over an Intel iMac G4 like a rash. I did think about trying to retrofit a mini into my iMac, but I really don't have the technical know-how. A mod of that complexity is beyond me. If you find anything, though, please do let me know!
The mod's not that feasible as you'd have to replace the screen and innerds (the logic board of the iMac G4 is required to run the display), so most people have been put off. I might try it one day though, you'd want all the ports and superdrive to work as per the original (of course, heh) which is where it gets tricky!

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 4, 2007, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Mac User #001 View Post
2. Apple (Pro) Mouse
I never liked it at all. No feel or feedback.
3. Cinema Displays
Over-priced. You can get just as good of a LCD for cheaper.

JonoMarshall
Senior User
Oct 4, 2007, 06:25 AM

Is price a factor in this? If so, I retract my likes and state that Apple are bad at design...

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 4, 2007, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by JonoMarshall View Post
Is price a factor in this? If so, I retract my likes and state that Apple are bad at design...
You are correct. I apologize. That didn't make a lot of sense did it.

fhoubi
Senior User
Oct 4, 2007, 08:40 AM

FireWire Power Adapter
USB Power Adapter
G4 Cube
iBook G3 (Snow)
G5 iMac (iSight) / CD iMac (first one)
( Last edited by fhoubi; Oct 4, 2007 at 08:48 AM. )
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2007, 03:42 PM

1. iMac G4
2. iMac G5
3. Apple Studio Displays
4. Apple Pro Speakers
5. Mighty Mouse

Sealobo
Oct 4, 2007, 09:27 PM

OS X

(title didn't say hardware only!)

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 4, 2007, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by JonoMarshall View Post
My most hated would be the Apple remotes, tsk.
Why? I would have thought the remotes were some of the most design-neutral (and thus hard to hate) product they've ever done...

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
I must be the only person alive who really disliked the iMac G4. Love the 24" white iMac however - one of the best Macs ever built, IMO.
Nope. I'll risk the wrath of Koralatov and come out and say it, too. I liked it when it was brand new and all, 'cause it was so different from all other computers back then. But I think almost every single Mac produced since is more beautiful (even the new iMac, of which I am most definitely not a fan).

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2007, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Sealobo View Post
OS X

Nice
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2007, 11:31 PM

I like the one that's designed like a big, white rectangle

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2007, 01:05 AM

When the G5 iMac came out, I thought it looked stupid. But within a few weeks, I thought it looked way better than the G4. Then the next revision came out and I got the 20". It's just a big white slab, but it looks so elegant, far more than the G4, I think. I like it a little better than the aluminum model, but I'm sure it'll get replaced with one of those eventually..

What else? I think the MacBooks are the best-looking laptops I've ever seen. There's a special place in my heart for the Apple IIGS. And while I think they compromised function for form too much in designing it, the Mac mini looks great.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2007, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
I've always loved the colour Classic
What's with the smirk?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 5, 2007, 02:05 AM

Nice.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

JonoMarshall
Senior User
Oct 5, 2007, 04:17 AM

Why? I would have thought the remotes were some of the most design-neutral (and thus hard to hate) product they've ever done...
Not sure really, I hate their size, the feel is cheap to me, I personally don't have a use for them (I use my mobile phone as a remote & more), I'm not sure how they could be improved, I just dislike them. It's subjective, but it's how I feel.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2007, 06:29 AM

I used my mobile phones as remotes since 2002. I had paid for Salling Clicker. I loved showing it off. I loved the iPodesque interface it gave me on the screen. Yet, as soon as I had an Apple Remote I gave all that up.

There is something to be said for simplicity, and Apple gets it.

JonoMarshall
Senior User
Oct 5, 2007, 06:38 AM

Hmm, maybe, my phone is always on me and takes one extra click to activate, the remote may be useful for a film, but I'd have to carry it around with me when at home for iTunes control, etc, so it's not that useful.

My version of simplicity would be an iPhone with Mac remote features as standard.

vexborg
Senior User
Oct 5, 2007, 07:16 AM

iGasm
The gene pool needs cleaning - I'll be the chlorine.

Koralatov  (op)
Senior User
Oct 5, 2007, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
4. Apple Pro Speakers
5. Mighty Mouse
Damn. Forgot about the Pro Speakers. They are fantastic-looking, and the sound is surprisingly good. If I can get an iSub reasonably cheap to beef up the low-end, I'll be a happy man.

I agree with you about the MM too, though I prefered the one with the grey 'Exposé squeeze' buttons--the white doesn't quite work as well, especially considering that the scroll-ball is still grey...

I think we're probably developing a reputation on these boards as Might Mouse-loving cranks. Oh well.

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
Nope. I'll risk the wrath of Koralatov and come out and say it, too. I liked it when it was brand new and all, 'cause it was so different from all other computers back then. But I think almost every single Mac produced since is more beautiful (even the new iMac, of which I am most definitely not a fan).
Everyone gets one warning, then I get the G4 fan-club together, we get our pitchforks and drive y'all haters out of here...

ajprice
Professional Poster
Oct 5, 2007, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Koralatov View Post
I think we're probably developing a reputation on these boards as Might Mouse-loving cranks. Oh well.
Not me. I had one, I tried it, the ball kept going wonky, then scrolling up died. And as for looks, I'd take any black Pro Mouse over a Mighty Mouse. Just something special about seeing it glow red through the casing . Everything after that with the solid white plastic - white Pro Mouse and MM - lost something.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 5, 2007, 11:36 AM

I think the Mighty Mouse is a fairly good-looking product—but the functionality is not optimal. Obviously, I haven’t had time to adjust properly to using it yet (only received it yesterday morning), but it just doesn’t feel as ergonomically good as most other mice do. And what’s with giving me a mouse with a cord that’s less than 60 cm long? I keep the computer under the table, and the mouse cord was too short (that goes for the keyboard as well).

I’m very happy, though, that I got one of the old keyboards, despite ordering the Mac Pro only about a week ago online, because I hate the new Apple keyboards. So ugly. And like the MacBook keyboards, not very pleasant to type on, either. This one rawks (though I’m so used to the laptop layouts, I keep pressing the wrong buttons)!

paul w
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2007, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by rickey939 View Post
In no particular order...

1.) Apple Titanium PowerBook G4
2.) Apple Titanium PowerBook G4
3.) Apple Titanium PowerBook G4
4.) Apple Titanium PowerBook G4
5.) Apple Titanium PowerBook G4
YES. I can't seem to part with mine.

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2007, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
No love here for the Pismo?

(I see Mindwaves remembers it....)
Totally agree with this.
Other than that, I have to say the new Airport Extreme base station looks mighty nice. So my five..

Pismo
Airport Extreme
Macbook Pro
iPod Nano
Apple Cinema Display

Patrick
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2007, 02:50 PM

They're known for products that look good… I'll try to pick 5.

•the new iMac G5
•the iPhone
•the 20th Anniversary Macintosh
•the 2nd generation Powerbook G3
•the iPod

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Oct 5, 2007, 03:19 PM

I think the Mighty Mouse is a fairly good-looking product—but the functionality is not optimal. Obviously, I haven’t had time to adjust properly to using it yet (only received it yesterday morning), but it just doesn’t feel as ergonomically good as most other mice do. And what’s with giving me a mouse with a cord that’s less than 60 cm long? I keep the computer under the table, and the mouse cord was too short (that goes for the keyboard as well).
The mouse is designed to be plugged into the keyboard and the keyboard is designed to be plugged into a display/iMac, hence the short cords. That's something I've always liked about Apple keyboards and mice. I hate the overly long cords supplied with PCs.

I can understand the complaint with the keyboard if you don't have USB in your display, but why aren't you plugging the mouse into your keyboard?
Vandelay Industries

iREZ
Professional Poster
Oct 5, 2007, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
They're known for products that look good… I'll try to pick 5.

•the new iMac core duo
•the iPhone
•the 20th Anniversary Macintosh
•the 2nd generation Powerbook G3
•the iPod
fixenated
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Oct 5, 2007, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
•the new iMac Core 2 Duo
Fixenated²
Vandelay Industries

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 5, 2007, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
The mouse is designed to be plugged into the keyboard and the keyboard is designed to be plugged into a display/iMac, hence the short cords. That's something I've always liked about Apple keyboards and mice. I hate the overly long cords supplied with PCs.

I can understand the complaint with the keyboard if you don't have USB in your display, but why aren't you plugging the mouse into your keyboard?
*smacks forehead*

Because I’d completely forgotten to consider the fact that there are in fact no less than two USB ports on the keyboard...

There’s no USB port in the screen, but the Mac Pro did come with one USB extension that I’m using.

Still, though, for those who are just buying a Mighty Mouse alone and might not have a USB port in their keyboard, there should be an extension for the mouse, as well. Perhaps there is one in the standalone MM boxes?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2007, 06:31 PM

A mouse with a cord longer than 60 cm would be a complete mess if you plugged it into the keyboard on your desk, the way you're supposed to.

And the keyboard no longer comes with an extension cable?

Edit: ^

(and no, no extension cord in the MM boxed version. But every USB Apple keyboard ever made has two USB ports on it, and the Mighty Mouse only has limited appeal to Windows users, seeing as it's not configurable under Windows.)

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2007, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
Not me. I had one, I tried it, the ball kept going wonky, then scrolling up died. And as for looks, I'd take any black Pro Mouse over a Mighty Mouse. Just something special about seeing it glow red through the casing . Everything after that with the solid white plastic - white Pro Mouse and MM - lost something.
Agreed.

The scrolling ball was the worst mechanical failure ever. There was a reason Apple quickly shunned the mechanical scroll wheel from the iPod.

My scroll ball died too, as well as countless others. Stupid stupid stupid. Great idea in theory - failure in practice.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2007, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Koralatov View Post
Damn. Forgot about the Pro Speakers. They are fantastic-looking, and the sound is surprisingly good. If I can get an iSub reasonably cheap to beef up the low-end, I'll be a happy man.
You'd be hard pressed to find the standalone iSub anymore. Besides, the Pro Speaker + iSub combo was always inferior and sometimes problem-ridden compared to the SoundSticks. Just pick up a pair of SoundSticks II. They're reasonably cheap, have great sound and completely floors anyone who sees them for the first time STILL.

Down here they are pretty much available from the all the biggest electronics outlets even.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2007, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
There was a reason Apple quickly shunned the mechanical scroll wheel from the iPod.
What reason was that?

I don't think I've ever seen a 1st-generation iPod where the scroll wheel failed.

I've just had to re-grease it because it ran too freely after a few years, but the scroll wheel has never given me the slightest trouble in five-and-a-half years. (The hard drive's starting to show the odd glitch, however.)

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2007, 10:28 PM

What?!! No love for the hockey puck mouse?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2007, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post

I think the design from an artistic standpoint is nice, but they are horrid to use.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2007, 01:28 AM

i dunno why, but the power bricks that come with the new mbps i really enjoy looking at. the new smaller ones. probably because it's the same size as the ones that came with the TIbooks. anywho

1) power brick
2) cinema
3) external isight
4) 2nd gen nanos
5) pro speakers

alex

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 6, 2007, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post

Once they added the notch on the button, I actually liked the mouse.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 6, 2007, 07:10 AM

OS X

As usable yes. As far as GUI design goes.. Platinum was more elegant.
Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I could not STAND it. Or the small keyboards they came with. I love the keyboards that came out RIGHT AFTER that. The clear ones with the black keys...

I'd love to get my hands on about 5 of those...

nikstar101
Oct 6, 2007, 06:00 PM

In no order

Pro Mouse (Black)
G5 PowerMac
Original iMac (just because it set a trend)
G4 Cube
Titanium PowerBook

Of which i owned to of these items, the PowerMac and Pro Mouse

Nik

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2007, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
What reason was that?
The reason was that they feared that it would fail, just as mechanical parts tend to do. Doesn't matter if they did or not (as a matter of fact, they did turn out to be incredibly resistant to failure), mechanical parts tend to break down. The ball of the mighty mouse just turned out to have a significant ratio of failure. A ball that gets covered in grease every single day? Surely they couldn't anticipate that causing trouble?

loki74
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2007, 05:48 PM

OS X

Agreed, especially if you use the "Graphite" scheme.

The ProKit scheme seen in Motion, Soundtrack, and DVDSP is also very gorgeous (FCP itself is similar, but not as pretty imho).

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2007, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
No, they were always ADC.
That's why I sold mine. It was otherwise a beautiful monitor. (Probably the best CRT I've ever owned!) But: I saw the writing on the wall with regards to ADC.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Koralatov  (op)
Senior User
Oct 8, 2007, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
You'd be hard pressed to find the standalone iSub anymore. Besides, the Pro Speaker + iSub combo was always inferior and sometimes problem-ridden compared to the SoundSticks. Just pick up a pair of SoundSticks II. They're reasonably cheap, have great sound and completely floors anyone who sees them for the first time STILL.

Down here they are pretty much available from the all the biggest electronics outlets even.
I actually saw a set in PC World just the other day. I suspect the Soundsticks would make a better purchase than a single iSub, especially if it’s going to cause problems when used in tandem with the Pro Speakers. And yourre right, they do look stunning. They’re not so cheap though—they seem to go for about £80, which is many things, but sadly not cheap in my book. I think I will get around to buying them at some point, though. Thanks for pointing them out to me!

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I actually quite like it too; I use a graphite one with my Clamshell iBook. The only problem is that the cable is too short because the Clamshell has its USB port on the left-hand side. That irritates me somewhat. I get round it by using one of Apple’s keyboard extension cables I had lying around.

To be honest, I think I might be pretty much the ideal Apple mouse user—I’ve never had any problems with any of their mice, from the teardrop ADB mouse right up to the Mighty Mouse. I think I must naturally use a mouse in the way Our Lord Steve intended. That said, I can see why people would hate the ‘puck’ mouse, and also the Mighty Mouse.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2007, 10:03 AM

I've got the original Soundsticks (USB version). I love them ... and yes, they do work very nicely on any PC I've ever plugged them into also.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

hayesk
Oct 8, 2007, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Not much cheaper. You can get an LCD with the same specs for a lot cheaper, but for some reason they seem to omit color-shift across the viewable angles when quoting the specs.

Apple has consistent color across the viewing angle, the cheapy LCDs do not. I agree once in a while you can find a good Dell or Samsung on sale, but for the most part they aren't cheaper.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2007, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by hayesk View Post
Not much cheaper. You can get an LCD with the same specs for a lot cheaper, but for some reason they seem to omit color-shift across the viewable angles when quoting the specs.

Apple has consistent color across the viewing angle, the cheapy LCDs do not. I agree once in a while you can find a good Dell or Samsung on sale, but for the most part they aren't cheaper.
I got two 24" Dells for less than a 23" ACD, and I had a 3 year warranty on both. I'd call that a LOT cheaper.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2007, 12:08 PM

Good that no one mentioned the iPod mini.

My list:
1) PowerBook G4 Titanium (original models) .... Apple shipped it out a month after I placed my order.
2) G4 Cube ...... I was so close to getting it, but I ended up with a TiBook.
3) iPod nano (1st gen) ...... I told myself while watching the Stevenote™, I gotta have one. At that time, I was still using the 10GB iPod (touch-wheel).
4) Cinema Displays (pinstripe) ...... They still look good IMHO.
5) Apple Keyboard (aluminum) ...... Who would have thought? Lusting on a computer keyboard.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2007, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
5) Apple Keyboard (aluminum) ...... Who would have thought? Lusting on a computer keyboard.
You know its funny, I would have agreed with you except I was using the alu keyboard since it came out and found that I preferred using the white keyboard.

The key spacing is off just enough to continually mess me up. Lack of tactile feedback and finally the $#%^ caps lock. Apple put a delay in the caps lock so your typing away it won't engage. You need to hold it down a fraction of a second longer then what most touch typists are
used to.

Koralatov  (op)
Senior User
Oct 9, 2007, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
You know its funny, I would have agreed with you except I was using the alu keyboard since it came out and found that I preferred using the white keyboard.
I'm unsure whether or not I'd prefer the new keyboard. I haven't used one, but I type reasonably fast (about 50wpm), but I'm not sure I'd get up to that on the new MacBook-styled keyboard without some heavy practise. Also, the white Pro Keyboard matches my G4 iMac much better than the new aluminium one would. Petty and shallow, I know, but it would bother me to have a keyboard sticking out like a sore-thumb...

The key spacing is off just enough to continually mess me up. Lack of tactile feedback and finally the $#%^ caps lock. Apple put a delay in the caps lock so your typing away it won't engage. You need to hold it down a fraction of a second longer then what most touch typists are used to.
I think you'll probably get over your first issue with continued use, but the caps lock won't be resolved so easily. I personally like the idea, especially seeing as it would be all to easy to hit the key accidentally and activate it, given that the new keyboards have much lower travel. I should, however, be an option that you can turn on and off, like selecting whether your Mighty Mouse has a secondary button or not. Perhaps Apple may give you the option in a future software update?

Forum Links
Forum Rules