Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Bow Howdy does this thing ever scratch easy!

Bow Howdy does this thing ever scratch easy!
no use for a nick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2001, 08:49 PM

Wow. I've had my iBook for two weeks now and I've done nothing but baby it, yet it seems to scratch incredibly easy. I can't even figure out what's caused most of the scratches on it. Scratch-Resistant Polycarbonate Plastic? Hmmmmm...

nick
--
nick

whodisbe
Sep 13, 2001, 10:21 PM

same here... I'm super careful with this thing, and its never anywhere it'll scratch... but I have deep scratches, and a lot of tiny ones all over the ibook. Its nice that the ibook is light, but I wish they'd given it a more scratch proof casing even if it weighed a pound or so more.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2001, 01:31 AM

I've had my iBook for about a month now, and I have yet to get a single scratch on my iBook. It's been pretty beaten up, too, going back and forth to classes and the library (our campus has wireless internet, very cool). I am more than pleased with it's durability. =)

All glory to the hypnotoad.

x user
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2001, 08:06 PM

Well I got my iBook to use so I don't care about scratches. But it is very good for portiblity and I WOULDN"T take an extra pound on it for a stinkin scratch-proof case.

no use for a nick  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2001, 09:51 AM

Originally posted by x user:
<STRONG>Well I got my iBook to use so I don't care about scratches. But it is very good for portiblity and I WOULDN"T take an extra pound on it for a stinkin scratch-proof case.</STRONG>
Well that's a heck of a thing to say. Do you think I got my iBook to look at? I'm using my iBook too, but I just figure for $1800, I ought to be able to get something that doesn't look like I've owned it for 2 years after just 2 weeks of use.

Nobody likes a smart-a$$ jerk.

nick

[ 09-15-2001: Message edited by: no use for a nick ]
--
nick

TJH
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2001, 11:18 AM

Well, as I just get my new iBook I was very careful about not getting any scratches on it. But I soon realized that it's not possible to keep it scratch-free... so now I don't mind these scratches anymore cause my iBook is for use and not only to look at it...

and 'no use for a nick'; isn't the silver-looking material polycarbonate?
TJH

<still being assembled>
Sep 15, 2001, 01:49 PM

i've had my ibook for a long time, i've been using it in the field in third world countries, and it is impossible to keep it from getting scratched. but the scratches are small and you can only see them from a certain angle. but still, my ibook looks so cool wherever it is.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2001, 06:49 PM

I hate to tell you, but it's not impossible to keep it scratch-free. For in fact, my machine IS scratch-free. i've had it for about a month, not one scratch. I'm betting that my sleeve from sfbags.com is to thank for that one. =)

All glory to the hypnotoad.

guerro
Sep 16, 2001, 11:45 PM

Some people's definition of "babied" or "babying" is entirely different than others
Damn you all to the bowels of bloody hell ! - Stewart Griffin

whodisbe
Sep 17, 2001, 12:34 AM

true you can keep it scratch free if its in a sleeve, but the fact that I paid 1800 for it and it scratched the first few days of using it, when it only was used on my bed is sad. It shouldn't be this scratch prone. But it is. Hopefully the next revision won't be so scratchable.

<rossie>
Sep 17, 2001, 02:19 AM

iam actually in the process of buying an ibook, well my parents are buying me one for school. And all your negitaive coments about scratches are turning me off, the thing i like most about the i book is its grovy apperance. so i have to ask does it scratch as badly as all u people say it does???

Ryu
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 17, 2001, 08:34 AM

Yeap... but it still is a lovely machine. Just make sure you receive your sleeve before you get the iBook.

no use for a nick  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2001, 08:59 AM

Hey &lt;rossie&gt;...definitely still get yourself an iBook. I don't like the scratches, but they're not that noticable and this machine is wonderful.

I'm sure you can get a case that will keep it scratch free, but mine didn't. The lining was nylon which I thought would be ok. Guess not. I relined the case with another material. We'll see how that goes.

nick
--
nick

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2001, 10:01 AM

I thought posts about the scratches were a big deal before I got my iBook. But now that I have it, I don't see what the big deal is. Really, the only time I look at the thing is when it's open and I'm working on it. I never marvel at its closed case--though I've noticed my fingerprints on it. It may even be scratched, but I can't say I've even looked at it.

This really is a non-issue.

no use for a nick  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2001, 10:21 PM

Ah, but it is not a non-issue. You see, this is very relative.

I plan on selling the iBook in May or June of 2002. I'm using it for my current work which requires the portability, but come June I definitely won't have a need for the iBook anymore.

Therefore, the scratches are an issue. It's not that I expected to keep it flawless. I knew that some signs of use would be showing. The problem is that I've only had the thing about three weeks and it already looks like I've owned it for two years. To me, this IS an issue.

nick
--
nick

gto47
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 17, 2001, 11:06 PM

Apple's been there and done that with the durability thing. The old revision of the ibook is a tank. It hardly shows the wear at all. The new one's certainly a bit more refined looking, and a bit smaller to tote around. Apple makes great machines, but i think sometimes they get so wrapped up in the design of their machines that they put form over function.
Mac Pro 8x2.8 | Macbook 2.13 | Saab Trionic 7 (thats right, runs on a 68k!)

<rossie>
Sep 18, 2001, 01:38 AM

thanks fro your coments but iam still a bit weary of it. some of u say that it doesnt really matter but i think it dose its a big deal, especially when the price here in australia is double teh amount u guys have to pay.

<macoroni>
Sep 18, 2001, 05:45 PM

I am considering buing the ibook, when I looked at it in the store i wasnt really focused on scratches, but if i was to get one I think it may bother me.Some of you posted that there is some type of sleeve/protector of some kind. I would like to know where to buy one. I thought someone may have said that it came with the purchase, if not how much is it? [img]null[/img] [img]null[/img]

<TomR>
Sep 18, 2001, 07:52 PM

Originally posted by no use for a nick:
<STRONG>

Well that's a heck of a thing to say. Do you think I got my iBook to look at? I'm using my iBook too, but I just figure for $1800, I ought to be able to get something that doesn't look like I've owned it for 2 years after just 2 weeks of use.

nick

[ 09-15-2001: Message edited by: no use for a nick ]</STRONG>
Well I've had my ibook a month now and honesty can't see any scratches and I don't baby it but I am careful with it. I suppose if I look REALLY REALLY CLOSE and hold it to the light JUST RIGHT I may see a few but mine still looks good. I LOVE the hell out of it and it's my first Mac. I think some folks are just really anal retentive sometimes. The thing is BOUND to get some scratches, after all it's a laptop and is pure white and really shiny. I wouldn't freak out over a few hardly noticable scratches after awhile.

Tom

funkboy
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2001, 11:24 PM

The only time I have noticed the scratches on my iBook is when I hold it at a weird angle specifically looking for the scratches - I have one somewhat-deep one and a ton of tiny little ones.

The scratches have not affected my enjoyment of the iBook one bit - and if you're worried about resale value, I think the fact that it's a small, feature-complete machine will more than outweigh the scratches the machine just happens to pick up in everyday use.

Scratches should not keep you from buying this machine, as it is much too useful and awesome to worry about such a minor, minor complaint - you'll be having WAY too much fun with it to notice the scratches!
...that is, too much fun if you get AirPort

<rossie>
Sep 19, 2001, 04:45 AM

over the past few days as i have been cheking the ibook out more iam kinda getting over teh whole scratches thing, and i cant wait to get my airport either how does it work?

Matsu
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2001, 07:36 AM

You guys know about the clear plastic film people use to protect the fornt of their cars from dings? I wonder if some company sells a similar material to protect the outside of you iBooks.

I wish I had an iBook. I told myself I'd buy one in Sept. but I have to demo it with OSX.1 first.
Apple: bumping prices, not specs.

lenz
Sep 21, 2001, 09:27 PM

Some guy said that there is a difference between a person's definition of bayied...well this is true. But there is another fact that there is a difference between any two people's definition of scratch free. Just slipping the ibook into the sleeve will cause miniature scratches. But I don't give a rat's ass cuz I decided it was too much trouble to keep this thing "relatively" scratch free. I still am gentle, but the scratches no longer bother me..

PS. What is this polycarbonate crap? That's just a fancy name for a certain palstic polymer.

mainemanx
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2001, 12:18 PM

Doncha think that eventually someone will make replacement coverings ... say in titanium silver, or bright red, or ?

Hello digitalHipps?

Bill
HWMO: 2.5gHz DP G5, 1.25 gHz 15" AL PB, 1st Gen iPod, Shuffle
SWMBO: 0.8 gHz 15" FP iMac, 0.5 gHz iBook, 3rd Gen iPod, Shuffle

Kestral
Senior User
Sep 23, 2001, 01:54 PM

This is interesting - I read this thread a couple of days ago and right now I am in the market for a new portable computer. Went to an Apple-only authorized retailer yesterday and they had a TiBook as well as an iBook dual USB on display - the displays cases were both near the sun so there was a nice bright light source, I knew the iBook had been on display for at least a month now so I'm sure it's gotten its share of knocks, I picked up the iBook and tried my best to find scratches, flipping it at every which angle and I couldn't. The case seemed really sturdy. Same with the TiBook, I found it really sturdy as well. In any case, it's kind of funny but I actually found myself preferring the iBook - the LCD screen is what really makes it - the iBook's LCD is just so bright and sharp compared to the TiBook, especially in OS X. In any case, I'll probably wait until OS X 10.1 comes out before I make my purchase (hopefully within the next couple of weeks). Who knows, maybe a new TiBook with a hi res screen is on the horizion?

Milo Waye
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2001, 02:23 PM

Originally posted by lenz:
<STRONG>Some guy said that there is a difference between a person's definition of bayied...well this is true. But there is another fact that there is a difference between any two people's definition of scratch free. Just slipping the ibook into the sleeve will cause miniature scratches. But I don't give a rat's ass cuz I decided it was too much trouble to keep this thing "relatively" scratch free. I still am gentle, but the scratches no longer bother me.</STRONG>
lenz,
took the words right out o my mouth. Was about ta say, before IE or Limewire froze my machine, the same thing applies to the noun "scratch". Have had mine since mid-May, use it constantly, and if the light's right and I'm looking I can see marks in the surface. But they pass the fingernail test and don't diminish the finish as far as I can tell.
OTOH I'll never buy another black car. Mebbe the next version will have a flatter or textured finish to appeal to the more discerning among us.

[ 09-24-2001: Message edited by: Milo Waye ]

ekserb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2001, 06:44 PM

As I sit here reading this thread with my shiny Chicklet hooked to a 19" Mistubishi monitor, I wonder what the hell you people are doing to your 'Books that would scratch them so easily. I have owned and used this one for months and there isn't anything other than fingerprints on it.

If you don't want scratches on your computer, then keep it away from things that are harder and pointier than the iBook's polycarbonate case. I mean, come on! The one comment about getting all scratched up while using it in bed ... how did that happen? Do you have extra hard cotton sheets? Or maybe the tooth under your pillow got too close to your 'Book?

Whenever I want to take mine on the road I slide it into my $17 Gap Commuter computer bag and off I go. No scratches, no dents. Just a pretty and useful piece of well-designed hardware from the only computer maker who really cares about making technology that works.

iBook 2001, 384MB, 10GB, Combo ... Mitsubishi Diamond Plus 91, Apple Pro Keyboard/Pro Mouse.
Do ... or do not. There is no try. --Yoda

<SNAPPER HEAD>
Sep 29, 2001, 03:14 PM

I recommend usind a jewler's burnishing wheel. hehehehehe...

sorry...

That'll make a lovely mess of your iBook. I originally thought of leaving my recommendation as it was, but some of the people here might just be dmb enough to try it. And not matter how dumb you are your iBook at least deserves a better fate.

x user
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2001, 02:27 AM

Like I said they don't matter much to me. I find that many scratches aren't even noticible unless your looking for them. The only thing I've done to my 'book is change the lid screws to Phillips and add a custom Apple .
Like others say though, this is a non-issue. But if it's a big deal to you. I'll buy yours for say.... $300

Yeah, all those scratches really affect the resale value.

MemeTransport
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2001, 04:33 AM

I remember reading a thread about a 6 months ago in which a guy claimed to have covered his 'book (don't remember what model) with car wax. It was probably a TiBook. I wonder how it would work on an iceBook?

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 1, 2001, 09:46 AM

As I sit here reading this thread with my shiny Chicklet hooked to a 19" Mistubishi monitor &lt;snip&gt;
Do you use your iBook with the lid closed when you use the external monitor? Care to post a pic of your computer setup if you do? I'm curious to see what that looks like...

Thanks!

Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2001, 10:08 PM

Originally posted by murbot:
<STRONG>

Do you use your iBook with the lid closed when you use the external monitor? Care to post a pic of your computer setup if you do? I'm curious to see what that looks like...

Thanks!</STRONG>
With OS 9.2.1 ans OSX you cannot use your iBook when the lid is closed.

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.

SunSeeker
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 2, 2001, 07:28 AM

Scratch-Resistant Polycarbonate Plastic? Hmmmmm...

nick
As far as I'm aware polycarbonate is simply impact resistant, when they use it for spectacles it usually has to have a scratch resistant coating.

I've had my ibook for a couple of months now and I have been pretty careful. I think that a lot of the finer scratches are from polishing.
There are perfectly concentric circles all over the surface.
They must have been there when I got it new from the reseller.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2001, 11:21 AM

Originally posted by jokell82:
<STRONG>I hate to tell you, but it's not impossible to keep it scratch-free. For in fact, my machine IS scratch-free. i've had it for about a month, not one scratch. I'm betting that my sleeve from sfbags.com is to thank for that one. =)</STRONG>
Boys, get a grip: what the heck is a SCRATCH-FREE iBook good for if it's NEVER visible because always stuck in some ugly sleeve ???

C'mon, you don't show of telling everyone you've got the prettiest girl in the world, but she wears a long, thick winter-coat all-year long.

Be real! Get a scratch, get a life !!!

So far,
-t

lenz
Oct 2, 2001, 02:04 PM

&gt;&gt;With OS 9.2.1 ans OSX you cannot use your iBook when the lid is closed.

Not completely accurate my friend. I have used my iceBook with the lid closed. It seems to work fine if you're connected to an external monitor in both OS 9 + X. It didn't work when I had the video signal going out through the a/v port.

PS. I too will never buy a black car again...talk about scratch easily. Next time it's gonna be silver. Damn paint never scratches.

OreoCookie
Oct 3, 2001, 07:28 AM

The thing about the scratches is that they appear larger than they actually are.

The iBook case is similar to a CD - a translucent outer layer and a colored inner layer. Ever noticed the scratches on old CDs? Most of them are extremely thin (a couple of mircons wide) -- you cannot 'feel' the scratch on the CD if you take your finger tip. Why do they appear larger than they are?
The translucent plastic has a different optical density than air. Thus the scratch is magnified. It's the same with the iBook's shell -- the scratches are magnified.

P. S. I have scratches on it, too, although it did not even leave my home yet!
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules