Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Time Machine and backing-up

Time Machine and backing-up
Harvey
Forum Regular
Nov 27, 2017, 06:39 PM

I have been using Time Machine and Time Capsule for many years and am currently at a point where I have filled my TC and a 4TB Seagate drive with backup from my iMac , and 2 other family laptops.

I currently am using a second 4TB Seagate drive for backup and am unsure what to do with my 2TB TimeCapsule as well as the first 4TB Seagate drive. Should I archive them? Where and how? Or can I simply erase them . . . . and how do I safely do that?

I looked online for these answers without much luck. Backing up on a Mac is not discussed much online it seems. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Harvey

reader50
Administrator
Nov 27, 2017, 09:04 PM

A TimeMachine hard drive can be erased and used as normal for other purposes. It's not a "special" drive, if that's what you are asking.

Few people discuss TM because it mostly "just works". You can run into problems though if you need a bigger TM drive than say, a TC came with. Or worse, if your machine has multiple volumes, and you need a TM space bigger than any HD currently on the market.

iFixit has guides on how to replace the TC internal drive, say to a bigger one. Considering Apple's habit of going for compact size instead of cooling capacity, definitely go for a 5400 or 5900 green drive.

If you need more than 14TB, then you need a RAID array for backups. A NAS is the best option, though there are others. Like USB multibay drive enclosures.

Harvey  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 27, 2017, 10:39 PM

Thanks reader50 for that very clear and helpful explanation.

Forum Links
Forum Rules