Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Import directly from CD to iPod

Import directly from CD to iPod
wjdennen
May 21, 2003, 01:55 PM

Hi there-

Is it possible to rip a CD directly to an iPod, without saving the encoded files on the computer's hard drive? I am low on disk space and would like to do this to avoid taking up the disk space.

(for what it's worth - I have a new iPod 15GB, with no music on it yet!)

Thanks-
Bill

boardsurfer
May 21, 2003, 04:17 PM

Umm, no. Although, there is evidence that a recording type feature is sure to follow. Check out www.ipodding.com for more info.

wjdennen  (op)
May 21, 2003, 05:15 PM

Just to be clear... I meant rip music right to the iPod from within iTunes. That is, I'd like to drag a song on a CD right to my iPod -- all within iTunes.

Instead, it seems as though you *must* add the song to your iTunes library first, and then copy if to your iPod.

Parky
Mac Elite
May 21, 2003, 05:28 PM

You need to set up the iPod so that you can manage songs manually rather than let the iPod use AutoSync.

Once you have done that you can then rip the CD into iTunes as normal, drag the iTunes tracks to the iPod then delete the tracks from the iTunes library.

This way they will stay on the iPod even though they are not in iTunes.

There is no direct way to do it, this is your only option, not that bad really.
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

wjdennen  (op)
May 21, 2003, 05:37 PM

Thanks. I'm doing this. You're right, it's not that bad. But, I had hoped there was some way to cut out the middleman in all of this.

Thanks for replying.

Forum Links
Forum Rules