Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I >>hate<< Female Cops!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I >>hate<< Female Cops!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Page 2)
Cipher13
Jun 9, 2003, 09:49 AM

Originally posted by Timo:
I don't have to.
Right. Are you afraid to classify people for fear of being called racist? Sexist? If so, that's pretty pathetic.

In my experience, in general, female cops are much harsher than male cops. Keep in mind these experiences are not from any "wrong side of the law" which may bias my opinion. I've never been arrested, etc etc.

If this were looked into, I think that pattern would become evident.

You automatically assume I'm sexist. If you were at all open minded, you'd have thought to yourself, "gee, maybe there is creedence to this claim. I mean, for example, women are generally smaller, and weaker than men; maybe this causes female cops to be more forceful, rather than laid back, so as not to invite a dismissive attitude from their target."

Now, to me, that makes sense. But no. You would probably call me sexist for saying "women are generally smaller than men".

Pathetic.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2003, 10:40 AM

I thought you might let this drop, but I guess not.

Originally posted by Cipher13:
Right. Are you afraid to classify people for fear of being called racist? Sexist? If so, that's pretty pathetic.
I think what you should be asking yourself is why you're so ready to making sweeping generalizations. What do you have invested in this kind of Linnean impulse?

I think it would be naive for anyone to say that they don't make judgments, each and every moment, about the people they meet (online too ). However, one makes a serious error, an error of hubris perhaps, in jumping from the individual or snap judgment to a categorization of a group.

In my experience, in general, female cops are much harsher than male cops. Keep in mind these experiences are not from any "wrong side of the law" which may bias my opinion. I've never been arrested, etc etc.
I don't get this. I'm supposed to rely on your experience, and to "keep in mind" you've never been arrested? Doesn't this statement already point out the limitations of basing judgments of a group on experience: that is, it's unknowable to others? How am I supposed to know your experience --am I supposed to take your word for it?

Perhaps when you take, e.g., Zimphire's experience as evidence I'll buy into the infaliability of your experience.

If this were looked into, I think that pattern would become evident.
I encourage you to look into it. I would guess your initial hypothesis would not survive a rigorous inquiry, unless of course you model your inquiry to simply prove what you set out to prove.

Here's what I think would survive: an examination into how women adapt and respond in a male-dominated profession. This isn't as much about biology (they all have, e.g., guns, so the playing field for inflicting force is more level) as it is about socialization.

How do I know this? As I stated above, my half-brother's a cop. And my other half-brother is a paramedic. These guys chose the most macho profession going, for interesting reasons not pertinent here. Through them I've met a number of female cops.

There's no doubt female cops, in a male cop world, have to keep up, so they've got to keep up with whatever the norms are for that particular group. I suspect it's the same for female military recruits: keep up. Be as tough and, importantly, do as good of a job as the guys.

Now getting back to the matter at hand, and the most OBVIOUS and NEGLECTED point: in the description above, there's a female cop and a male, teenage driver. We've heard a whole lot from the male teenagers about the female cop, yet we haven't heard anything from the male teenagers about male teenagers.

Thus, we have no description of the bias of observation and the bias of experience. You know the old Russian proverb: "He lies, like a witness." You've got to understand that everything you, me and anyone else sees is so filtered thorough our brains ("You see with your brain, not with your eyes") that judgments invariably say MORE about he who is judging that what is being judged.

You've got no self-reflexive game.

You automatically assume I'm sexist.
I've done nothing of the kind, but let me go you one better: I don't really care if you're sexist. If anything, you should be the one who cares.

See, I'm old enough to know that even as egalitarian as I try to be, I have my sexist tendencies. You can call me a sexist and I don't much care, because I can point out when I am better than most (well, maybe not better than my wife).

Ah, but lemme guess: such sin doesn't taint you, eh? Enjoy it for as long as it lasts.

If you were at all open minded, you'd have thought to yourself, "gee, maybe there is creedence to this claim. I mean, for example, women are generally smaller, and weaker than men; maybe this causes female cops to be more forceful, rather than laid back, so as not to invite a dismissive attitude from their target."
Here's the deal. While you find this hypothesis compelling, I don't. You've only proved it to your satisfaction, not mine, and probably not to a female cop's, either.

If you're so sure, why don't you convince them?

I don't put much faith into this biology-dictates-behaviour model, because it's so broad as to be open to abuse. Surely you can see that there is a long history of using evolutionary theory for purely political reasons, and nothing closes an argument faster (in favor of the accuser) than the assertion that "it's just natural."

Now, to me, that makes sense. But no. You would probably call me sexist for saying "women are generally smaller than men".
I'm not your politically correct boogie-man, but keep looking! I haven't called you sexist, but I'll call you young and arrogant. Your problem is that you don't have a good POV on this subject.

Think about it. Nothing wrong with being young and arrogant, but I wouldn't overestimate your reach.
( Last edited by Timo; Jun 9, 2003 at 10:46 AM. )

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 9, 2003, 10:58 AM

I am going to play devils advocate here. I know there are SOME female cops that HAVE had a tendency to over do what is necessary. They feel they have to PROVE they can do just as good of a job as a male cop. I've never experienced this myself, but I have seen it on "Cops"

Now, is it there fault, or is it people like Cash that act the way they do to female cops that make them so defensive as Cipher was talking about?

If they was treated as a equal with male cops, maybe they wouldn't have to feel the need to prove their worth.

All in all I think some people have problems with women authority figures. It boils down to insecurity.

Cipher13
Jun 9, 2003, 11:19 AM

I thought you might let this drop, but I guess not.
After being called sexist? I think not.

I think what you should be asking yourself is why you're so ready to making sweeping generalizations. What do you have invested in this kind of Linnean impulse?
Sweeping generalisations? I admitted that I didn't know the majority of police out there, male or female.

I said that in my experience, with the limited number of police that I've had contact with, the trend emerged.

That is reason for me to believe it may well be more widespread, hence my statement. I never said it was carved in stone, or anything of the sort.

I made it explicitly clear that it was my opinion, and that it was based on limited evidence; limited observations.

I think it would be naive for anyone to say that they don't make judgments, each and every moment, about the people they meet (online too ). However, one makes a serious error, an error of hubris perhaps, in jumping from the individual or snap judgment to a categorization of a group.
An error of hubris? Where does pride factor into this? I fail to see it.

Of course. It's in our nature to judge people from the get-go.

Again, I stress that I acknowledge the limits of my statement. Regardless, you dismissed it. My experience is enough to base an opinion on. It's the accuracy of that opinion that is in question, which you failed to address. You practically dismissed the possibility of my opinion being correct.

I don't get this. I'm supposed to rely on your experience, and to "keep in mind" you've never been arrested? Doesn't this statement already point out the limitations of basing judgments of a group on experience: that is, it's unknowable to others? How am I supposed to know your experience --am I supposed to take your word for it?
No, but you're supposed to consider it, as I would yours. Not put it down to sexism. I agreed with cash that in general, in my experience, female cops are pains in the ass in the ways discussed; moreso than male cops.

I encourage you to look into it. I would guess your initial hypothesis would not survive a rigorous inquiry, unless of course you model your inquiry to simply prove what you set out to prove.
What, attacking my integrity now?

I believe it would indeed hold up. One way to find out. If it did not, however, I'd openly admit so. It is, after all, merely a hypothesis. Psychologically, quite a well based one, now that I think about it.

Here's what I think would survive: an examination into how women adapt and respond in a male-dominated profession. This isn't as much about biology (they all have, e.g., guns, so the playing field for inflicting force is more level) as it is about socialization.
Guns don't really level the playing field as much as you suggest. Nobody really wants to shoot a person - you'd much rather simply have to give them a pistol whip or something. Avoiding any conflict at all is a key aim, but moreso, avoiding damage to oneself; something women, bare handed, are much less capable of than men (in general, again).

How do I know this? As I stated above, my half-brother's a cop. And my other half-brother is a paramedic. These guys chose the most macho profession going, for interesting reasons not pertinent here. Through them I've met a number of female cops.
In that case, I can't help but wonder what their opinion on this is, then - though it would most likely be biased... they wouldn't want to say anything negative about their friends or colleagues...

Now getting back to the matter at hand, and the most OBVIOUS and NEGLECTED point: in the description above, there's a female cop and a male, teenage driver. We've heard a whole lot from the male teenagers about the female cop, yet we haven't heard anything from the male teenagers about male teenagers.
Even the statement about male teenagers would be a generalisation. One that I hope I'd be exempt from. Regardless, I will admit that in general, teenage males are idiots. Largely, they're total morons.

Relating to my statements, I have no doubt that female cops HAVE to be more firm. My point remains unscathed - and in fact supported, if you think about it. What cop wants to deal with a smart-assed, drunken, horny male teenager? What FEMALE cop wants to deal with that?

Thus, we have no description of the bias of observation and the bias of experience. You know the old Russian proverb: "He lies, like a witness." You've got to understand that everything you, me and anyone else sees is so filtered thorough our brains ("You see with your brain, not with your eyes") that judgments invariably say MORE about he who is judging that what is being judged.
Naturally. To be honest, I don't see what bias would be affecting my opinion here. Not largely, anyway. I do not have any biases against women, regardless of what you think, or what you may say about not knowing what biases we do have. I don't have anything against cops - quite the contrary, I respect them greatly - mostly. I don't have anything against women. When I say female cops are generally bitches, that isn't on a personal level. They may be very nice people. It's on a professional level.

I've done nothing of the kind, but let me go you one better: I don't really care if you're sexist. If anything, you should be the one who cares.
Oh, and I do. That's exactly WHY I continued this conversation. Something I won't tolerate is accusations of being sexist (and yes, you did imply it), racist, etc etc. I despise sexism, and racism, and so forth, and having it implied that I have those tendencies is a massive insult... which would explain my overly hostile tone which I didn't mean to use.

See, I'm old enough to know that even as egalitarian as I try to be, I have my sexist tendencies. You can call me a sexist and I don't much care, because I can point out when I am better than most (well, maybe not better than my wife).
This is where you play the age card.

"I'm older than you, you're young and arrogant, blah blah".

Fine, whatever. I honestly don't think I have any sexist tendencies. You'll dismiss that claim with a wave of your hand, thinking "he doesn't know what he's talking about. He's young and arrogant. He'll realise one day". And then you should realise that you're ageist. But no, you simply think, "I'm not ageist... I just know better, through experience".

Right.

Ah, but lemme guess: such sin doesn't taint you, eh? Enjoy it for as long as it lasts.
I shall.

Here's the deal. While you find this hypothesis compelling, I don't. You've only proved it to your satisfaction, not mine, and probably not to a female cop's, either.
It was never designed for your satisfaction in mind. It was an example of a valid reason for such behaviour thought up in a matter of seconds.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Timo:
[B]If you're so sure, why don't you convince them?

I'd love to.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Timo:
[B]I don't put much faith into this biology-dictates-behaviour model, because it's so broad as to be open to abuse. Surely you can see that there is a long history of using evolutionary theory for purely political reasons, and nothing closes an argument faster (in favor of the accuser) than the assertion that "it's just natural."

This isn't about biology dictating behaviour. This is more psychological. I'd love to compare the behaviour between a 5-foot-nothing fair-haired petite, pretty cop with a glock to that of a 6'5", 200lbs ex weight-lifter with a glock. It's largely about self-confidence, also.

I'm not your politically correct boogie-man, but keep looking! I haven't called you sexist, but I'll call you young and arrogant. Your problem is that you don't have a good POV on this subject.
Think about it. Nothing wrong with being young and arrogant, but I wouldn't overestimate your reach.
Already addressed. I'm sure being young and arrogant beats being old and arrogant, either way.

It's late, I've been studying, and I'm tired. I hope this makes sense. If not... I'm sure you can make some sense of it, at least.

Cipher13
Jun 9, 2003, 11:23 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
I am going to play devils advocate here. I know there are SOME female cops that HAVE had a tendency to over do what is necessary. They feel they have to PROVE they can do just as good of a job as a male cop. I've never experienced this myself, but I have seen it on "Cops"

Now, is it there fault, or is it people like Cash that act the way they do to female cops that make them so defensive as Cipher was talking about?

If they was treated as a equal with male cops, maybe they wouldn't have to feel the need to prove their worth.

All in all I think some people have problems with women authority figures. It boils down to insecurity.
Absolutely.

The party at fault is not the issue.

Like I said in the 6'5" female cop example... it's about insecurity, self-confidence, etc. Along with how they are recieved by people... if you blow off a midget cop as being harmless, naturally they're gonna have to be more forceful so you know they're serious. This becomes natural behaviour - not only a smartass teenager would be treated as such by somebody insecure about how well they'd hold up in a bad situation, but anybody else too. People that have a problem with female authority figures are only half of the problem.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 9, 2003, 11:39 AM

The party at fault is not the issue.
I believe it is. And from what I have seen, female cops react differently to different people. Like myself, I would rather be pulled over by a femal cop.

If you treat them with respect, they usually give it back to you. You don't have to deal with the Macho "I'm the MAN" male cops that are usually 10x worse than any female cop. But a lot of males can handle that better, because it's another MALE telling them that.

Female cops can sense when they are being treated the way they are because they are female. And you better beleive they will react upon it in a negative way.

Now is it their fault that someone is insecure? of course not.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2003, 12:23 PM

To be clear: this is a debate about the nature of knowing, not the nature of Cipher13.

Naturally. To be honest, I don't see what bias would be affecting my opinion here.
Quite.

It's not fair to single you out (or cash), but let me just ask that you keep an open mind about two things:

1. the idea that our perspective colors our judgment
2. sushi.

Something I won't tolerate is accusations of being sexist (and yes, you did imply it), racist, etc etc. I despise sexism, and racism, and so forth, and having it implied that I have those tendencies is a massive insult... which would explain my overly hostile tone which I didn't mean to use.
Look, I doubt you're particularly or overtly racist or sexist. Racist or sexist means taking snap judgments from experience and applying them to a category of people, and more importantly, being in a position of influence to make this judgment stick.

Besides, I don't know you, and I try as a policy to not hold opinions about things I don't know about. In fact, the only thing I know about you is what you write.

This is where you play the age card.

"I'm older than you, you're young and arrogant, blah blah".
Let's borrow your argument. In my experience, you've got all the talk of a young know-it-all man. Follow me?

Next step. I fully expect you to reject the "age card." Were the tables turned I sure would. No problem. Perhaps a petulant older man might counter with "ah, youth is wasted on the young," but we all know that insults are base and only incite tit-for-tat accusations.

My point isn't that my POV (including experience) is better than yours, it's that it is different. And since it's different, our conclusions will be different, because even the same events would be seen differently by us. This existence of this difference goes to my main point above: what you observe is colored by your POV, so if one wants a chance at a more objective POV, one had better have their reflexive game on.

By reflexive, I mean examining with a jaundiced eye the merit of one's perceptions.

Fine, whatever. I honestly don't think I have any sexist tendencies. You'll dismiss that claim with a wave of your hand, thinking "he doesn't know what he's talking about. He's young and arrogant. He'll realise one day". And then you should realise that you're ageist. But no, you simply think, "I'm not ageist... I just know better, through experience".
No, no, you've missed my point -- let me try to be more clear. I'm glad you despise sexism and racism. Good work. (Please excuse any patronizing overtones, if you see any.)

Again, I don't make any claims about the existence, or not, of your sexist tendencies, for a number of reasons (as above: I don't know you, I don't have any data, and I try not to hold opinions about things I don't know).

Now when I wrote: "I don't have to." in response to your statement:
Other than my numerous observations - not some "gut feeling". I'm not trying to "prove" the existence of anything. I'm noting what my observations suggest.

By the way, don't ever imply that I'm sexist.
I was pointing out that your words are evidence, or not, of sexism. The old saying is "Speak, so that I may know thee." Your own words are the evidence, or not; not my assertions or my "experience."

Like you said, you don't see any evidence, but let me gently suggest not everyone might share this assessment.

Now on to the "young and arrogant" part: nothing wrong with either. Wallflowers don't get far in this world.

Already addressed. I'm sure being young and arrogant beats being old and arrogant, either way.
Heh, good one. Maybe it does. Personally I wouldn't trade experience for youth, but ask me again when I'm infirm (THEN I'll bemoan my glib arrogance, no doubt).

It's late, I've been studying, and I'm tired. I hope this makes sense. If not... I'm sure you can make some sense of it, at least.
Peace. Good luck with studies.*

*although we all know studies have little to do with luck

Cipher13
Jun 9, 2003, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
I believe it is. And from what I have seen, female cops react differently to different people. Like myself, I would rather be pulled over by a femal cop.

If you treat them with respect, they usually give it back to you. You don't have to deal with the Macho "I'm the MAN" male cops that are usually 10x worse than any female cop. But a lot of males can handle that better, because it's another MALE telling them that.

Female cops can sense when they are being treated the way they are because they are female. And you better beleive they will react upon it in a negative way.

Now is it their fault that someone is insecure? of course not.
It is not the issue being discussed in this thread. The issue is simply whether the behaviour exists, not its cause.

I'd also say that yes, if a person is insecure, it's generally their own fault.

shanraghan
Senior User
Jun 9, 2003, 05:19 PM

As I see it, I find it very likely that there may be a greater number of female cops with so-called 'bad attitudes', or, rather, feel the need to be more and perhaps excessively assertive in order to establish their authority. Some may be so jaded as to pick on little things, just to prove themselves. This may have to do with percieved physical inferiority, as Cipher mentions, however that is not the whole problem. After all, all perceptions aside, males and females are physically equal. Females make up for lack of raw physical strength with greater agility and endurance, of which the latter would be essential in a law enforcement job. The whole problem is more the fact that ours is a traditionally patriarchical society, in which case a female cop might not have to just prove herself physically but more fundamentally and importantly she has to overcome percieved gender roles in both her current workplace and, perhaps, in her upbringing. Some have more or less to deal with, some deal with it more elegantly than others. And then there's the other half of the problem: the reciever. It seems to me that, to males, and especially younger ones, a female cop who's acting 'tough' would seem even more bitter for several reasons. Firstly, the man might not be used to interacting with tough women, and therefore would overract to it as a subconscious breach of natural order. Secondly, and more importantly, he probable is used to/likes the idea of being somehow 'dominant' over women, consciously or subconsciously, and this situation turns the whole thing around. This, naturally, would be more prevalent amongst younger men as they have yet to become secure in their own power, and thus exerting their power upon others is a higher priority. I believe Zimphire indicated this in his post, but there's no harm in mentioning it again.
[CENSORED]

Newbies generally fulfil one of two functions: being a pain in the ass or fodder for the vets. If they survive to Senoir Membership, then their role undergoes a little change...

shanraghan: self-appointed French-speaking Chef de MacNN! Serving gourmet newbie-yaki to vets since the demise of the Drunken Circle Tool!

Cipher13
Jun 9, 2003, 06:03 PM

Quite.

It's not fair to single you out (or cash), but let me just ask that you keep an open mind about two things:

1. the idea that our perspective colors our judgment
2. sushi.
Yeah, I know, I know. In this case, I believe a very minimal amount of bias exists, if any. As little as is possible.

Look, I doubt you're particularly or overtly racist or sexist. Racist or sexist means taking snap judgments from experience and applying them to a category of people, and more importantly, being in a position of influence to make this judgment stick.

Besides, I don't know you, and I try as a policy to not hold opinions about things I don't know about. In fact, the only thing I know about you is what you write.
Shame... I'm much more likeable in person

Let's borrow your argument. In my experience, you've got all the talk of a young know-it-all man. Follow me?

Next step. I fully expect you to reject the "age card." Were the tables turned I sure would. No problem. Perhaps a petulant older man might counter with "ah, youth is wasted on the young," but we all know that insults are base and only incite tit-for-tat accusations.

My point isn't that my POV (including experience) is better than yours, it's that it is different. And since it's different, our conclusions will be different, because even the same events would be seen differently by us. This existence of this difference goes to my main point above: what you observe is colored by your POV, so if one wants a chance at a more objective POV, one had better have their reflexive game on.
I follow... and naturally, I rejected the "age" card. And naturally, you don't take that rejection seriously, as if it was rejected simply out of arrogance. I have no counter to this that you'll accept, nor one anybody else will. I'm younger, period. Okay. Fine. I can't be right. My views and opinions are plagued by bias that I can't see; whether out of a pure lack of a taste for such things, or out of arrogance, or ignorance, or whatever. My enlightenment will come in tandem with my years. Is that satisfactory?

I've already stated that you'd dismiss what I said... and you did. With a wave of the hand, perhaps even.

That said, I see the point you're making regarding the scope of your experience with me, and my very countering of your statement is exactly what this is all about. Nice job engineering a role reversal of sorts I have considered the issue, and I addressed it very early on, by stating the very limitations of my opinion.

By reflexive, I mean examining with a jaundiced eye the merit of one's perceptions.
I think I've considered the accuracy of my own perceptions quite thoroughly... but, of course I think that, right? I'm young and arrogant.

I have to consider such things every single day of my life (but who doesn't, I suppose). See the ways in which my perceptions are warped. Why they're warped. How to see around such impurities in my looking glass.

Everyones vision is tainted somehow... by minor personal bias, to flagrant discrimination and hatred of something or someone. I'd like to think I've got that all ironed out... and I think I do, as arrogant as that really does sound.

No, no, you've missed my point -- let me try to be more clear. I'm glad you despise sexism and racism. Good work. (Please excuse any patronizing overtones, if you see any.)

Again, I don't make any claims about the existence, or not, of your sexist tendencies, for a number of reasons (as above: I don't know you, I don't have any data, and I try not to hold opinions about things I don't know).

Now when I wrote: "I don't have to." in response to your statement:

I was pointing out that your words are evidence, or not, of sexism. The old saying is "Speak, so that I may know thee." Your own words are the evidence, or not; not my assertions or my "experience."

Like you said, you don't see any evidence, but let me gently suggest not everyone might share this assessment.

Okay. Any interpretation of my words other than their intended message is invalid. Sure, you can easily psychoanalyse a person by what they say - but this isn't an exercise in Psychology 1A. The clear and intended message of my words should take precedence over any undertones somebody might think they pick up on; undertones which themselves are more likely to fall victim to the personal bias' of the interpreting party. If a person doesn't like me, sure they're going to say "yeah... sexist pig" after reading some things I have to say. A person that does like me, however, might not see those same undertones. It depends on how strong they are, and dare I say that the undertones perceived by a person, in many case, say more about the interpreter than the author.

Heh, good one. Maybe it does. Personally I wouldn't trade experience for youth, but ask me again when I'm infirm (THEN I'll bemoan my glib arrogance, no doubt).
The grass is always at least a little greener...

Peace. Good luck with studies.*

*although we all know studies have little to do with luck [/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks.

An exam in an hour, and here I am on MNN... this place will be the death of me.

This post was a little hurried, but... yeah.

Tatran68  (op)
Banned
Jun 9, 2003, 07:00 PM

Argh. I can't believe you guys are even arguing what I've said. Like Cipher said, in MY EXPERIENCES, female cops tend to be complete bitches. Why? WHo knows. Maybe they feel inadequate in a mainly male job, maybe they're mad at males, I don't know. What I do know is that in my experience, any interaction with a female cop is generally bad while an experience with a male cop can be good or bad, but generally male cops are a lot nicer.

This lady was being a F*CKING BITCH. She was parked perpindicularly across 4 spots on the top of the Monona Terrace, WATCHING the fireworks. She then drove over to my parked car (after she had clearly seen Kristin and I exit my car to watch the fireworks), which was parked on the side of the road (there were not any "NO PARKING" signs on this street, it was a dead end street, it's only purpose was the exit of the terrace, and the entrance/exit of an aparment building.), and decided to flex her nuts just 'because she can'. If she had been polite about her 'flexing of cop nuts', perhaps I would have felt differently, but the plain solid fact is she was acting like a complete bitch. Even my fiance thought so. It was the middle of the night, and we happened to spot something cool, so I pulled over on a DESERTED STREET (from another deserted street) to shove the car so I could enjoy some fireworks for 5 minutes or so. This wasn't bothering anyone, my car was not in the way, and there would have been absolutely NO problem with it if she hadn't had something shoved up her ass.

- Rob

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2003, 09:09 PM

I follow... and naturally, I rejected the "age" card. And naturally, you don't take that rejection seriously, as if it was rejected simply out of arrogance. I have no counter to this that you'll accept, nor one anybody else will. I'm younger, period. Okay. Fine. I can't be right. My views and opinions are plagued by bias that I can't see; whether out of a pure lack of a taste for such things, or out of arrogance, or ignorance, or whatever. My enlightenment will come in tandem with my years. Is that satisfactory?
Hey, easy. I played the "age" card, as you say, but not to end up like this, making or supporting sweeping generalizations of my own! I may be arrogant but I try to keep my hypocrisy down to a dull roar.

Look, I expected you to reject any and all of my age-based assumptions FOR THE SAME REASONS that as I would reject the too-easy characterizations of any group (like...female cops, maybe?): not enough data points, and our experience may be too colored on the question at hand.

Didn't mean anything more than that / hope the exams went well / and yes MacNN makes my client presentations a little too much on the lean side

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2003, 09:12 PM

Originally posted by Tatran68:
Argh. I can't believe you guys are even arguing what I've said. Like Cipher said, in MY EXPERIENCES, female cops tend to be complete bitches. Why? WHo knows. Maybe they feel inadequate in a mainly male job, maybe they're mad at males, I don't know. What I do know is that in my experience, any interaction with a female cop is generally bad while an experience with a male cop can be good or bad, but generally male cops are a lot nicer.
Heh. Why? Who knows. You got it.

This lady was being a F*CKING BITCH. She was parked perpindicularly across 4 spots on the top of the Monona Terrace, WATCHING the fireworks. She then drove over to my parked car (after she had clearly seen Kristin and I exit my car to watch the fireworks), which was parked on the side of the road (there were not any "NO PARKING" signs on this street, it was a dead end street, it's only purpose was the exit of the terrace, and the entrance/exit of an aparment building.), and decided to flex her nuts just 'because she can'. If she had been polite about her 'flexing of cop nuts', perhaps I would have felt differently, but the plain solid fact is she was acting like a complete bitch. Even my fiance thought so. It was the middle of the night, and we happened to spot something cool, so I pulled over on a DESERTED STREET (from another deserted street) to shove the car so I could enjoy some fireworks for 5 minutes or so. This wasn't bothering anyone, my car was not in the way, and there would have been absolutely NO problem with it if she hadn't had something shoved up her ass.
No doubt. But it doesn't follow that all female cops are united in an avowed purpose to harass and humiliate you.

Tatran68  (op)
Banned
Jun 9, 2003, 09:48 PM

united in an avowed purpose to harass and humiliate you.
But it CAN mean that in my area, at least, female cops are generally not very nice, or that in the very leas, I've been unfortunate enough to only experience the bitchy ones. There are probably some nice female cops out there, but I haven't experienced them.

- Rob

shanraghan
Senior User
Jun 10, 2003, 04:56 AM

Note to self: never unwind on message boards. It always winds others up...
[CENSORED]

Newbies generally fulfil one of two functions: being a pain in the ass or fodder for the vets. If they survive to Senoir Membership, then their role undergoes a little change...

shanraghan: self-appointed French-speaking Chef de MacNN! Serving gourmet newbie-yaki to vets since the demise of the Drunken Circle Tool!

Forum Links
Forum Rules