Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Things that don�t work in Panther DP1...

Things that don�t work in Panther DP1...
hellmachine
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2003, 08:01 PM

hi! just had some impressions on different machines running panther. as others already said, panther is another big step forward. with its speed and functionality even the dp1 has the potential to work with on daily basis. but after a few days on different machines i also found some malfunctions which can be critical for some but unimportant for others.

i like to start a thread featuring the malfunctions and bugs so others have some insight before installing dp1.

i run the following problems:

1. all aliases are broken
that�s a dramatically cut maybe caused by the redesigned finder. i got this on two machines.

2. i can�t connect via pppoe/dsl to my service provider. another machine running on an ethernet network and a t1 works fine so it may be a pppoe problem.

3. camino don�t work
yes, for many web designers it is still a very helpful app because it has a smaller footprint on ram/cpu than mozilla/netscape and for browserchecks work as good as his big brothers.

4.ichat can�t connect to aol. at least not for me.

5. toast 5.2 don�t work.

please only post bugs/solutions so we get some nice bugtracker...

thanks!
( Last edited by hellmachine; Jun 26, 2003 at 08:11 PM. )

mark9939
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 26, 2003, 08:14 PM

None of my aliases are broken, jsut to let you know. I, too, have a problem w/ iChat, but I don't have a problem w/ any other IM clients.

My biggest issue right now is not being able to access my Hotmail via Mail.app. Httpmail plugin is not compatible w/ 10.3.

A small bug for me is that "Mac OS X Install Disc 2" is stuck on my desktop, and there's no way to remove it. (The disc in not in the drive, yet it still appears in Finder)

I just installed Panther, and I'm sure I'll find more bugs to post later.
MBP 1.83 GHz CD/iPod 30GB

hellmachine  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2003, 08:26 PM

Originally posted by mark9939:
None of my aliases are broken, jsut to let you know. I, too, have a problem w/ iChat, but I don't have a problem w/ any other IM clients.

My biggest issue right now is not being able to access my Hotmail via Mail.app. Httpmail plugin is not compatible w/ 10.3.

A small bug for me is that "Mac OS X Install Disc 2" is stuck on my desktop, and there's no way to remove it. (The disc in not in the drive, yet it still appears in Finder)

I just installed Panther, and I'm sure I'll find more bugs to post later.
yes, please post

can�t help with homail. i don�t use it. maybe someone else has this problems too?

yes, the second cd makes problems somethimes. on an ibook the second cd got stuck while optimising and didn�t finish the install. after restart i manually did a prebind...

no alias problem? wow, i wish i can hunt it down because i got it on two machines. funny enough unix symlinks still work.
i got a massive alias collection linking to a second and third drive. maybe aliases from drive to drive don�t work? don�t use panther made aliases. they have to be done in jag.

i will summarize acknowledged bugs in a list later...

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2003, 08:46 PM

odd little thing just happened...
was on iMac playing a song on iTunes, i quick changed users...came back to the account using iTunes, and all of a sudden my music was all missing...then my desktop disapeared and my home was GONE...
restarted and its back...and its fine..odd

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2003, 08:57 PM

In b4 the lock.

Some people can't read.

gthyb
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 26, 2003, 08:58 PM

-spell checking is broken on mine.

-if you close the disk utility window while using it to burn a dvd/cd, it will quit the program with no warning, resulting in a coaster.

-when using expose with many many windows open, you have to hold your designated button. if you press it once, it will show the tiles for a short time, then go back to normal.

-using the contextual menu to change the desktop background does nothing.

-ejecting is iffy

gthyb
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 26, 2003, 09:01 PM

-you can not select icons in get info/inspector to copy/paste

hellmachine  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2003, 09:05 PM

Originally posted by gthyb:

-when using expose with many many windows open, you have to hold your designated button. if you press it once, it will show the tiles for a short time, then go back to normal.

-ejecting is iffy
that�s true. one solution is to keep your f-key for expose pressed and make your selection.

hellmachine  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2003, 09:19 PM

btw. a great trick i posted years ago at macosxhints helps to switch quickly to a clean installed older / newer os-version:

you need two partitions/drives.

one for the system, one for your user folder. copy your user folder on one partition.
clean install osx on the other one.
after the first login you get a default desktop. open Applications/utilities/netinfo. go to users/your username. here edit the homepath to the path on your other partition with the userfolder.
looks like: /Volumes/your_userpartition/your_user_folder
save and logout.
after login you have all settings with a fresh new system. no copy orgies needed.
for the future keep all your stuff on your user partition so the next clean install can come without loosing data.

this works with the ipod too. just keep your userfolder there and create a new user on the hostmachine witht the homepath directing to the ipod...
the ipod drive only get used to read or write pref files...

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2003, 10:25 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules