Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > PATRIOTism, or how tight should security be?

View Poll Results: Which of these measures or ideas do you support?
Poll Options:
National ID 1 votes (9.09%)
Implantable ID (microchip implanted in skin containing personal information) 3 votes (27.27%)
Use of national database to monitor citizens for terrorist activity 1 votes (9.09%)
Use of national database to monitor citizens for criminal activity in general. 1 votes (9.09%)
Use of national database to monitor known criminals. 4 votes (36.36%)
Search and seizure of property from suspected terrorists without notification. 1 votes (9.09%)
Search and seizure of property of suspected criminals without notification. 1 votes (9.09%)
Holding suspected terrorists without trial for indeterminate periods. 1 votes (9.09%)
Some or all of the above measures can be considered due process and compatible with the Constitution. 3 votes (27.27%)
All suspects, without exception and despite the crime in question, must be given a speedy trial. 4 votes (36.36%)
No search and seizure without a warrant outlining specific items and notification of the property owner. 6 votes (54.55%)
I need more information to decide on these issues. 2 votes (18.18%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll
PATRIOTism, or how tight should security be?
shanraghan
Senior User
Jul 30, 2003, 01:31 AM

I must admit that for myself, personally, the idea of the PATRIOT act, namely any sections that seem to ignore due process in order to search for terrorists, dislike the idea of national ID given the circumstances, finds the idea of data mining US citizens close to abominable, implantable chips a clear sign of danger, and believes the whole terrorism issue easily transformable into an excuse for some within the government to maintain undue power, not to mention a justification for what could easily be a neo-colonialist exploitation of Iraq. The Iraq bit is definitely up for question and I do not proclaim to have answers, or at least not definite ones at any rate, and for some of these interpretations I would need much more research to confirm. However, my ideas regarding the privacy and freedom of American citizens is clear: the investigation of innocent citizens is unconstitutional and unjust, and could lead to dangerous ideological regulation.

However, I realized, there must be some who support some of these measures. There are proponents of national ID, data mining, and I imagine a number who wholeheartedly support the PATRIOT act, even the more restrictive portions of it. Some of these are no doubt those who are pushing those very bits of legislation, but it is not their opinion I wish to hear. Rather, I would like to know what your opinions on these issues are. Especially those of you who disagree with me. The reason? I would like to know why a citizen of the United States, or any country, would support measures such like the ones outlined above, or any others, as well as your opinions on the Bill of Rights, specifically the right to due process in investigation and your opinion on how it is upheld. However, the argument of citizens regarding the powers of investigators are what interest me most. I look forward to hearing what you have to say, should you wish to respond. Thank you.
[CENSORED]

Newbies generally fulfil one of two functions: being a pain in the ass or fodder for the vets. If they survive to Senoir Membership, then their role undergoes a little change...

shanraghan: self-appointed French-speaking Chef de MacNN! Serving gourmet newbie-yaki to vets since the demise of the Drunken Circle Tool!

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2003, 08:16 AM

They'll be implanting a chip under my cold, dead skin. Whoever "they" are.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2003, 09:18 AM

I will not trade my civil liberties for "security".
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2003, 09:56 AM

considering i am bordering on hospitable paranoia (i mean who really writes their own serverless chat program that sends encrypted data using only ACK packets), i whole heartingly disagree with any of these actions. They are against our liberties, and are bordering on totaltarian(sp?). Most of these actions are equivical to the government sayting that "you are free, to do what we tell you to".

if it came down to it, i would give up my citizenship before i allowed myself to be subjigated to any of these actions

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2003, 12:42 AM

Don't mind any of them.

Do mind profiling though. Radom/All/None. That simple.

I'm willing to bet money in the Pentagon's stock market game that the next big Al Queda attack will be some John Walker Lind guy. A white guy/gal from suburbia. US Born, Rised... and twisted.

I think the evidence supporting this, including the fact that there are many who went to the region to study Islam (and since no contact has been made)... is just scairy.

The sad thing is. I can also make a nice bet that as obvious as the risk appears now. It will go off without detection until people sadly die.

If I were able to use that Pentagon Stock Market game... I would put my money on that.

And I would retire soon after.

Plus side of it all is I will have enough cash to live next to Bill gates and throw eMacs on his front lawn every morning! Take that Billy Boy!

shanraghan  (op)
Senior User
Jul 31, 2003, 12:43 AM

Interesting... lots of people have voted, I see, but only three replies. Is that all? Doesn't anyone want to back up their votes? Everyone who's posted so far agrees with me. I call that boring. Please, post! I beg you!

Edit: oops. didn't notice the other reply. gomen.
( Last edited by shanraghan; Jul 31, 2003 at 01:58 AM. )
[CENSORED]

Newbies generally fulfil one of two functions: being a pain in the ass or fodder for the vets. If they survive to Senoir Membership, then their role undergoes a little change...

shanraghan: self-appointed French-speaking Chef de MacNN! Serving gourmet newbie-yaki to vets since the demise of the Drunken Circle Tool!

Forum Links
Forum Rules