Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Entourage update, Free/Busy calendar problem

Entourage update, Free/Busy calendar problem
Evan_Williams
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2003, 09:21 PM

Hey there everyone,

I've read through all of the MS docs on how to configure Entourage to work with an Exchange server and I still can't get the calendaring to work (Free/Busy data not found, error -3170 OR error -3248). Sending and receiving mail works, Public Folders are visible, I can search the Global Address List through the LDAP service, but no calendar.

I am running MS Exchange 2000 SP2. We meet all of the MS requirements for Entourage to work with the server (IMAP4, SMTP, Outlook Web Access--OWA, and LDAP are all running on the server) so I'm not sure what it is.

I've tried reducing the authrentication settings to the lowest possible thinking maybe it was a SSL/authentication problem, I've compared all the port/security settings between the Entourage client and the Exchange 2k System Manager and they all match up.

Anyone have any ideas? The only thing I can think of is that we ran the MS IIS Lockdown tool and maybe that disabled some part of the WebDAV protocol that the Entourage calendar needs. Can anyone confirm this? Also, the error -3170 occurs if I'm trying to invite someone w/ an Exchange mailbox to a meeting, the error -3248 is if I'm trying to invite someone with an outside email address...but this isn't even consistent.

-Evan

wjdennen
Aug 4, 2003, 09:29 PM

Is it necessary to turn on a public free/busy server on the Exchange server?

Or, to put it another way, is it necessary/possible to do something to the Exchange server to make the free/busy server "public"?

I notice that in Microsoft's screenshots, they have "//" in the free/busy address. This makes me wonder if we should be typing in a URL there.

this page -- it's the "Address Book synchronization" screenshot.

cwagar
Aug 4, 2003, 10:36 PM

I'm having the same problem and here's the bits I've been able to find out:

When I create a new calendar item, and then use the GAL to invite someone to the event, I then click the 'scheduling' tab to see free/busy information. (Free/Busy server is correct according to sysadmin).

A packet trace reveals that Entourage does a DNS query on the domain part of the email address, and receives a valid "A" record in reply, then gives me an error message. That's it.

So if I use the GAL to invite [email protected], the packet trace reveals a DNS query for 'bigcompany.com', with a valid reply of 'bigcompany.com is 172.16.4.16.

Weird stuff. I would love to solve this.

-CW

JRT
Forum Regular
Aug 4, 2003, 11:20 PM

I have not been able to make this work either. In fact, after scanning various newsgroups I have yet to find anyone that has gotten this scheduling stuff working...
JRT

Evan_Williams  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2003, 06:31 PM

That's an interesting point wjdennen--

Looking in the IMAP4 properties page in the Exchange System Manager I see that under the "Calendaring" tab there is a URL with a path to our Exchange server.

http://SERVERNAME/exchange <--SERVERNAME being the name of our local Ex2k server.

Using a URL under the Entourage "Advanced" tab would also make sense because the WebDAV protocol runs over port 80 (since WebDAV is just a set of additional http commands) and http runs on port 80.

Unfortunately the company I am doing the IT for only has 2 Mac users and they're both out of the office now--I will have to wait till tomorrow to test this.

I will post my results back here.

-Evan Williams

bcsarge
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2003, 07:00 PM

Same here. Some update. No native MAPI Exchange support, just a poorly cobbled together IMAP connection. Oddly enough I used to be able to check others' availability via the standard IMAP setup I was using previously. Now no dice. Panther Exchange compatibility, we're waiting...

Evan_Williams  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2003, 07:47 PM

Well, changing the server under the Advanced tab does nothing. I tried averything from http://servername/exchange to servername.domain.com\exchange and still no luck.

When I entered servername.domain.com\exchange I noticed that the error changed to 1403...whatever that means. Also, when I click on the Contacts or Calendar folder (under the Exchange folder) it will start to access and then quit before anything comes up. I doubt it would find anything even if it ran longer but it'd be nice to know.

If there are any users out there with a working Entourage Calendar, could you please tell us what your Advanced settings look like?? Is the Free/Busy server just your servername or is it servername/exchange or something else?

-Evan

Evan_Williams  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2003, 09:31 PM

I finally got the calendar to show and sync with the Excahnge server. Turns out that if you use Outlook Web Access (OWA) over https that you need to enable the DAV over SSL option--duh!!

So now that I have the calendar working, I'm now trying to get the ability to view other peoples free/busy data--which unfortunately wasn't addressed w/ the calendar fix. Any ideas? One thing I've noticed is that when pulling names from the Exchange server's Global Address List that the email addresses are wrong. It just puts the name of the employee in front of our domain. For example--if I type in John Doe for an email/meeting and use the default from what appears to be a GAL entry, it gives me an address of [email protected], although it should be [email protected].

FYI--I found the Microsoft newsgroups to be the best source of Entourage tips. Also, I think you need to re-launch Entourage before any config changes take effect--since I'm pretty sure I've tried enabling the DAV SSL before but without quitting and restarting Entourage and it didn't work.

-Evan

msamacman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2003, 03:53 PM

Hang in there! I am currently working with my Senior Message Admin to resovle this issue.. btw how did you get the gal/ldap to work,

I should now something by monday, vactaions must be nice...

Originally posted by Evan_Williams:
Hey there everyone,

I've read through all of the MS docs on how to configure Entourage to work with an Exchange server and I still can't get the calendaring to work (Free/Busy data not found, error -3170 OR error -3248). Sending and receiving mail works, Public Folders are visible, I can search the Global Address List through the LDAP service, but no calendar.

I am running MS Exchange 2000 SP2. We meet all of the MS requirements for Entourage to work with the server (IMAP4, SMTP, Outlook Web Access--OWA, and LDAP are all running on the server) so I'm not sure what it is.

I've tried reducing the authrentication settings to the lowest possible thinking maybe it was a SSL/authentication problem, I've compared all the port/security settings between the Entourage client and the Exchange 2k System Manager and they all match up.

Anyone have any ideas? The only thing I can think of is that we ran the MS IIS Lockdown tool and maybe that disabled some part of the WebDAV protocol that the Entourage calendar needs. Can anyone confirm this? Also, the error -3170 occurs if I'm trying to invite someone w/ an Exchange mailbox to a meeting, the error -3248 is if I'm trying to invite someone with an outside email address...but this isn't even consistent.

-Evan

MitchEls
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2003, 08:32 AM

Guys, any news regarding the Free / Busy calendar problem? Still waiting for a answer, please advise...

M.

Forum Links
Forum Rules