Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Panther installed�iTunes music files gone

Panther installed�iTunes music files gone
jtice
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2003, 01:46 PM

Over the weekend I backed up my data to a new internal drive, formatted the original drive and did a clean install of 10.3. I copied my files back over and thought I had made it through unscathed. I didn't copy applications though�only data files. One problem�apparently all the free music that was included with previous versions of iTunes were in the application folder rather than in the User/Music/iTunes folder and they're goners. I know they're on the old disks which I have, but I don't want to install a bunch of old iApps into a brand new setup to get to them. Is there a utility or something that will allow me to browse and copy those mp3 files out of the older OSX install disks?

Thanks,
JT

Wevah
Senior User
Nov 4, 2003, 03:15 PM

Pacifist, maybe? I forget the URL...someone here has to know (or look at CharlesS's sig, I guess).
[Wevah setPostCount:[Wevah postCount] + 1];

jtice  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2003, 10:58 PM

Originally posted by Wevah:
Pacifist, maybe? I forget the URL...someone here has to know (or look at CharlesS's sig, I guess).
Wevah,
Thanks for telling me about Pacifist. Opened a bunch of packages, but unfortunately I didn't find the lost music. All those tunes must have come on the machine but not on the disks. Pacifist is a nice piece of work. Guess it's time for an iTunes store account.
Now that everyone knows it's just a matter of waiting for 1.20.09.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2003, 11:41 PM

Those files would have been on your Mac's Restore disc(s). However, it's been quite a while since Apple has bundled music with Macs. The Restore discs are probably ASR images. I'm not aware of a method to extract files from them.
Vandelay Industries

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2003, 11:44 PM

Originally posted by Art Vandelay:
The Restore discs are probably ASR images...
Correct.

jtice  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2003, 01:07 AM

Originally posted by Art Vandelay:
Those files would have been on your Mac's Restore disc(s). However, it's been quite a while since Apple has bundled music with Macs. The Restore discs are probably ASR images. I'm not aware of a method to extract files from them.
Well, I do have that brand new 120 gig internal that's sitting in there completely empty now. If I did a restore to it would my current startup disk remain completely untouched? If so I could just retrieve the files and format the drive. But the tunes are not worth taking achance of confusing my clean install. I've got an embarrasing number of hours invested.

J.
Now that everyone knows it's just a matter of waiting for 1.20.09.

Wevah
Senior User
Nov 6, 2003, 02:14 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Correct.
Word...I couldn't remember what OS the music came with.
[Wevah setPostCount:[Wevah postCount] + 1];

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 6, 2003, 02:24 PM

Well, people have successfully copied the ASR image pieces onto the hard drive and then were able to use Pacifist (or something) to extract individual files.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules