Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Customizing Sounds in Mail

Customizing Sounds in Mail
jtice
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2003, 04:40 PM

Trying to customize the sounds in Mail but the only one that sticks is the New Mail Sound. Are the other's not selectable? That No Mail Sound is the most irritating thing on the computer. Is there another way to set these preferences?

JT
Now that everyone knows it's just a matter of waiting for 1.20.09.

mcsjgs
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2003, 07:14 PM

There is a thread here you might want to look at:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...ghlight=temple

and here:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...ghlight=temple

The latter explains how to convert sounds to aiff using Itunes. Works.

brachiator
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2003, 09:12 PM

I think the question is how to select different sounds for events other than "New Mail," rather than how to obtain additional sounds.

I agree that the "No Mail" sound is horrendous, but there does not seem to be an option/pref to change it. Maybe there's a hack via the plist... Have to check once I get home and can look at it (I think its com.apple.mail.plist...)

brachiator
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2003, 11:51 PM

Nope, com.apple.mail.plist only contains a key for setting the New Mail sound. i don't know where one could go to change the others...

mcsjgs
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 7, 2003, 12:11 AM

Maybe I'm missing something here. The only sound I get in Mail is when new mail arrives.

So, the only sound customization I have is the new mail sound which uses the same files as the system sounds. Have I got something wrong here?

Brass
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2003, 12:28 AM

Originally posted by mcsjgs:
Maybe I'm missing something here. The only sound I get in Mail is when new mail arrives.

So, the only sound customization I have is the new mail sound which uses the same files as the system sounds. Have I got something wrong here?
Go to Mail's Preferences (General pane). See where it says, "New Mail Sound"? Now look just below that. See where it says, "Play Sounds For Other Mail Actions"?

So you can turn on sounds for other actions in Mail, but it's only a checkbox, so you cannot configure what those sounds are. Use the "New Mail Sound" popup menu to get a sample of the different sounds (the mail sounds are at the top of the list). But you can only choose a custom sounds for New Mail.

mcsjgs
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 7, 2003, 01:16 AM

Go to Mail's Preferences (General pane). See where it says, "New Mail Sound"? Now look just below that. See where it says, "Play Sounds For Other Mail Actions"?

You are absolutely right. I missed that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules