Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Monolith - when?

Monolith - when?
olorin15
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 29, 2003, 01:45 PM

This is a question for the folks planning to release Project Monolith:

Is there any chance you guys are going to get your product out the door in a few days? Because otherwise SS trial period will expire, and people who want to keep themeing their Macs will be faced with a choice of waiting indefinitely for competition to arrive, or paying Unsanity now, and therefore most likely staying with SS ... I'm bringing this up because I will not pay for both products. I was hoping to be able to compare them and choose the best. But if there's to be a significant lapse between expiration of SS and coming of Monolith, I'll probably go with Unsanity. I'm sure there are others out there who feel the same way. If you guys will not realese your product very soon, I think you might loose a good number of potential customers ... Just a thought. From the long discussion in the Monolith thread, it sounded like you folks really think you are making a better product than SS, but if it does not come out in time to start the competition, it may not matter in the end if it's really a better product or not.

So, give us at least an estimate on the arrival time, will you?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 15, 2003, 01:57 PM

Just doing some research and I ran across this topic.

We're currently integrating Monolith into something else. We're hoping to re-define our theme changer into something far greater. We've pushed back the eta until February or March next year.

Another project thats just hit beta involves some theme creation.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2003, 02:23 PM

Sounds interesting. I'm pro SS, but I'm not going to be anti-"Monolith" too. Sounds promising from what you've said.
click one

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 15, 2003, 05:21 PM

I was holding off buying SS to see if Monolith was better (you kept saying it would be soon). I guess I'll go buy SS now.

keston
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 15, 2003, 06:40 PM

yes, but doesnt all vaporware sound promising? That said, i'm looking forward to seeing it in action

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
Sounds interesting. I'm pro SS, but I'm not going to be anti-"Monolith" too. Sounds promising from what you've said.

swiz
GUI Punk
Dec 15, 2003, 07:17 PM

Originally posted by goMac:
Just doing some research and I ran across this topic.

We're currently integrating Monolith into something else. We're hoping to re-define our theme changer into something far greater. We've pushed back the eta until February or March next year.

Another project thats just hit beta involves some theme creation.
Now dont you seee the folly of announcing Monolith prematurely? It never even got a public view and already it is going to be swallowed by yet another idea. What happens when Shapeshifter is at 1.5 in march of 2004 and yet again you need to rethink a new idea because Shapeshifter is at least two steps ahead. Competition is good but not when the competition never gets to be tested by the public.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 16, 2003, 03:10 PM

We're breaking away from the traditional theme changer market, so we don't see SS as a similar application. Our feature set is quite strong and we see it as very serious competition for Unsanity.

We see our application as more powerful than Kalaidescope ever was, but of course, time will tell. The new additions we are making are going to take quite a while to code.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

ambush
Banned
Dec 16, 2003, 04:42 PM

Originally posted by swiz:
Now dont you seee the folly of announcing Monolith prematurely? It never even got a public view and already it is going to be swallowed by yet another idea. What happens when Shapeshifter is at 1.5 in march of 2004 and yet again you need to rethink a new idea because Shapeshifter is at least two steps ahead. Competition is good but not when the competition never gets to be tested by the public.
Swiz... I don't know how to tell you this but..

you seem to be so biased now that SS is out.. it's a bit weird.

I feel a lot of anger in your posts.. just calm down, mmmkay?

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 16, 2003, 05:06 PM

Swiz doesn't seem very angry in that post, just pointing out how it was a bad idea to announce monolith that early, and I agree with him.

And better than kaleidoscope? This, I'll have to see.

Tarambana
Forum Regular
Dec 16, 2003, 06:07 PM

Hi!

I don't either think that was angry. Indeed, you announced Monolith first before SS, and then you have decided to change its focus, and so push the release date. I think it is conceivable that by the time it is supposed to arrive, SS is far more advanced, and so you have to rethink it over again. All in all, I think it's better to wait before having a somewhat more definitive product, but that's just me! Also, if it is as good as you say it will, I sure will buy it (already have SS).

kovacs
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2003, 06:17 PM

Monolith ? What a joke

I totally understand swiz...

ambush
Banned
Dec 16, 2003, 06:27 PM

Originally posted by kovacs:
Monolith ? What a joke

I totally understand swiz...
dude, Colin asked for NOTHING in that thread. He is simply answering the questions.

What the hell is wrong with you guys?

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 16, 2003, 07:01 PM

Oh my, its so far from vapor-ware I have a laugh. Wouldn't it be nice if every announced-but-not-released product were like that?

Those cows won't know what hit 'em. They won't know what hit them even after it hits them, because they're cows.

olorin15  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 16, 2003, 07:39 PM

i don't think swiz is angry or anything. I think he has a valid point (which is basically my original point in the first post in this thread ) I also hope very much Monolith will come out eventually. Competition is always good. It's just that giving SS such a jump start is not a good idea ... you really should have kept it quiet till it was very close to being done. See how some people here have the attitude that it's a joke? That's what you get for hype
having said that, i still hope to see monolith someday ...

swiz
GUI Punk
Dec 16, 2003, 09:23 PM

Originally posted by ambush:
Swiz... I don't know how to tell you this but..

you seem to be so biased now that SS is out.. it's a bit weird.

I feel a lot of anger in your posts.. just calm down, mmmkay?
Not upset, biased? Yeah, I do like SS the best, it is like a support email filter for me .

If I sound angry its because I have the flu and my anger is misdirected heh.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

unlinear
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 16, 2003, 10:04 PM

Ambush,

goMac is 'the boy who cried "release"'.
Can you honestly blame Swiz for being sceptical? Hell, I know I am.

Stevos
Dec 16, 2003, 11:07 PM

For the record -- Monolith has shown nothing.

I don't see how you can get mad when people say it's too late, or it's vaporware, or whatever. All they get is hype.

You're almost worse than BBX (*zing*)
except that I'm sure BBX will ship an amazing theme.
swont

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 17, 2003, 11:57 AM

Considering the whole core of Monolith is open source (http://sourceforge.net/projects/themekit/) its hard to claim it as vaporware...

timdorr
Dec 17, 2003, 01:12 PM

Uh...

ThemeKit 1.0 Runtime 2003-11-19 21:34
No Files
CVS Repository ( 0 commits, 0 adds )
It's great you've got some sourceforge space, but where's the source?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 17, 2003, 01:22 PM

Originally posted by timdorr:
Uh...

It's great you've got some sourceforge space, but where's the source?
Did you check the web based CVS repository?

"Current directory:
[cvs] / themekit / themekit

Files shown:
30 "

timdorr
Dec 17, 2003, 01:32 PM

Ok, there we go. You've got stuff in there from 3 weeks ago, but it's not on the project page? Weird...

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2003, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by goMac:
We see our application as more powerful than Kalaidescope ever was, but of course, time will tell. The new additions we are making are going to take quite a while to code.
I like the sound of that. swiz does have a point about telling everyone before it's time though.
click one

Forum Links
Forum Rules