Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > safari forgets username/pass data

safari forgets username/pass data
beverson
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 20, 2003, 03:36 PM

For a few of the sites I use regularly I had saved my username and password using the feature built into Safari. A few weeks ago, Safari apparently forgot the data for these sites -- they still showed up in the list in the prefs, but wouldn't auto fill. If I delete that entry in the prefs, Safari won't ask me to save that data the next time I use the site. I have now deleted all of my username/password forms data and turned the feature off and on again, with no improvement. I know this could be potentially caused by several different issues, but I don't think it's a problem with the sites themselves because the same sites work on my other Mac running all the same software versions.

Has anyone else seen this? I haven't tried just deleting the Safari prefs yet, but that will probably be the next step.

keston
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2004, 08:19 PM

BUMP!!

I'm currently having a similar problem. Its possible that I may have clicked the "Never for this site" button on the save password prompt at one point while accessing a particular site. Is there any way to reset the status? or the autofill prefs for that site. Anyone know where this is kept?

TIA

Ω
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2004, 10:09 PM

Look at the source code for the site.

Look for a line that says something like allow autocomplete - or something similar. If this is set to false then Safari will respect this coding and not allow autofilling.

At a guess I am thinking bank website???

Hopefully this is the answer. If you search the apple site it is hidden there somewhere.

Ω
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2004, 10:11 PM

Actually try this link

beverson  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2004, 11:35 PM

Huh -- well I'll be. It's odd that those sites worked for a while and then just stopped. But I'm sure that's because they added this non-autofill tag or line or whatever in the code. While I can see how it might be a security risk, it wasn't for me. Too bad.

Originally posted by _?_:
Look at the source code for the site.

Look for a line that says something like allow autocomplete - or something similar. If this is set to false then Safari will respect this coding and not allow autofilling.

At a guess I am thinking bank website???

Hopefully this is the answer. If you search the apple site it is hidden there somewhere.

Ω
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2004, 11:55 PM

Only reason why I knew this, is because it was bugging the shite out of me as well.

Rainy Day
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 8, 2006, 04:43 AM

Here’s a program, called Autocomplete Always On!, which will patch WebCore (Safari’s HTML engine) to ignore the flag.

Enjoy!
( Last edited by Rainy Day; Apr 8, 2006 at 05:06 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules