Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Is the audio-in jack in Powerbooks a stereo or mono input?

Is the audio-in jack in Powerbooks a stereo or mono input?
Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2004, 05:44 AM

Well, that sums up the question. I'm basically trying to decide whether or not I want to get a USB mixer/preamp, or go for a cheaper solution and get a mixer that I can just plug straight into the built-in audio-in input on my Powerbook, but obviously I'd need the input to be stereo. So... is it?

Macka
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2004, 09:13 AM

I have a Powerbook Ti 1Gig Superdrive, and the input is a stereo input.

Whether you go for a more expensive option really depends on what you're using the recordings for.

For my needs, using the input has been fine, without going any more complicated.

Hope that helps.

Jim Paradise  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2004, 09:59 AM

Originally posted by Macka:
I have a Powerbook Ti 1Gig Superdrive, and the input is a stereo input.

Whether you go for a more expensive option really depends on what you're using the recordings for.

For my needs, using the input has been fine, without going any more complicated.

Hope that helps.
No, that does help quite a bit! Thank you. That's exactly the response I was hoping for.

toshigen
Mar 15, 2004, 10:10 AM

My 4 year old Pismo Powerbook also has a stereo audio input. I would guess that even the Wallstreet and some earlier Powerbooks have stereo line-in.

From what I can tell, all of the newer Titanium and Aluminum Powerbooks have them... but the iBooks do not (for those you need a USB audio input device).

Jim Paradise  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2004, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by toshigen:
My 4 year old Pismo Powerbook also has a stereo audio input. I would guess that even the Wallstreet and some earlier Powerbooks have stereo line-in.

From what I can tell, all of the newer Titanium and Aluminum Powerbooks have them... but the iBooks do not (for those you need a USB audio input device).
Yeah, I've got a ghz Tibook so no problems.

Fellow2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 15, 2004, 12:35 PM

So everyone with PowerMacs and PowerBooks, what would be the advantage of buying a USB line in device such as the Griffin iMic?

I am considering to start doing some low level recording on my 12" 1ghz PowerBook and I am wondering what the advantages of such a device are over just using the built in line in.

toshigen
Mar 15, 2004, 01:54 PM

Originally posted by Fellow2000:
So everyone with PowerMacs and PowerBooks, what would be the advantage of buying a USB line in device such as the Griffin iMic?

I am considering to start doing some low level recording on my 12" 1ghz PowerBook and I am wondering what the advantages of such a device are over just using the built in line in.
Griffin's iMic page has links to some reviews which claim that it's louder and less noisy than using the built-in audio input:

http://www.griffintechnology.com/pro...ic/reviews.php

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Mar 15, 2004, 02:19 PM

Apple has used stereo inputs on all Power Mac models ever, and on some earlier desktop models, too.

On the portable side, I'm not so sure when stereo input was added, but it was no later than 1998.

Every single desktop Mac since 1997 and every laptop since at least 1998 that has an audio input at all has stereo input.

tooki

viachiangmai
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2004, 04:06 AM

Using the audio line in allows you to record analog data which takes up a LOT of memory. Get familiar with your software sequencer (e.g. Garageband) and invest in a Firewire or USB audio interface that converts analog signals into digital data. m-Audio and Edirol products are probably the best of the lower end audio recording gear. Unless you're a true audiophile, sound engineer, or record producer, you should be very pleased with the result... let your soul fly bro.

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=...bileinterfaces

http://www.edirol.com/products/audio.html

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=...fb8f23c8d6646f
my music making partner - 1.25 GHz, 15" Aluminum Powerbook (refurb), 2 GB RAM, MS Bluetooth mouse, sfbags vertical sleeve w. flap

live to love, love to live - you have one life, but if you live it right, once is enough

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Mar 17, 2004, 04:20 AM

If your PowerBook has USB, and it has an audio input at all (some TiBooks didn't), then it is stereo.

For nonprofessional use, the built-in audio input will probably be sufficient.

tooki

Oneota
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2004, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by tooki:
Apple has used stereo inputs on all Power Mac models ever, and on some earlier desktop models, too.

On the portable side, I'm not so sure when stereo input was added, but it was no later than 1998.

Every single desktop Mac since 1997 and every laptop since at least 1998 that has an audio input at all has stereo input.

tooki
Not quite; there was that time period when Apple stopped putting built-in audio inputs on their Macs.

It started with the Digital Audio Gigabit G4 towers, and lasted until the Mirrored Drive Doors, if I recall correctly.

That's what created the market for the Griffin iMic, after all.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Forum Links
Forum Rules