Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Awesome 1GB RAM Deal!!

Awesome 1GB RAM Deal!! (Page 7)
Macaddic1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2004, 05:42 PM

Originally posted by azdude:
Anyone tried this RAM?

It's generic and cheap, but it's an awesome deal if it works well on the PB.

http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4158153
I went the cheeper rout before on ram and 8 months later the ram took a dump. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 11, 2004, 06:55 AM

Mine have shipped. Here's hoping that they're both of decent quality. Hooray!

saman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2004, 07:25 AM

I just received a shipment notice as well - so, finally they have them in stock again.
Will let you know how they work, once they arrive and are installed!

The Ginger Rat
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2004, 02:21 PM

Me too- after waiting nearly 2 mnths (ordered Sep 21)

I am definitely looking forward to my 2 Gigs

tastethepain
Nov 12, 2004, 05:59 PM

I just tried this in my 1.5 Ghz 15" PB. Came up first boot and everything looks peaches so far.

My order was delayed two days for backorder, but that was it. Placed order on Monday, Nov 8 and rec'd it on Friday, Nov 12. Outpost is filling the backorders pretty quick.
MBP / 3gig memory / 200gb hard drive / Superdrive

Mac Pro 4x2.66 cores / 8gb memory / ATI 256mb vid / storage---always increasing. :D

bitjumper
Nov 13, 2004, 01:20 AM

I just received mine today also. Installed in 1 GHz 12" PowerBook Rev B. All came up perfectly normal. I've been running memtest for the last two hours while out at the gym. All was okay when I returned.

Are there any setting I can set to utilize the extra RAM more frequently? Increase cache? Or is everything automatic on the Mac?

Erik

tastethepain
Nov 15, 2004, 12:40 AM

I've had a couple of freezes while saving Excel files. So far though, no other problems so far.

Originally posted by tastethepain:
I just tried this in my 1.5 Ghz 15" PB. Came up first boot and everything looks peaches so far.

My order was delayed two days for backorder, but that was it. Placed order on Monday, Nov 8 and rec'd it on Friday, Nov 12. Outpost is filling the backorders pretty quick.

Mac Pro 4x2.66 cores / 8gb memory / ATI 256mb vid / storage---always increasing. :D

popstand
Forum Regular
Nov 15, 2004, 01:43 AM

Ordered mine on the twelfth and it shipped the same day. Apparently no more backorders, and I still think it's a good deal at $180.00

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 15, 2004, 07:48 AM

Do you think that's down to the RAM or Excel? Office apps freeze (and crash) all the time for me, but I've got the Apple RAM in there at the moment.

I've had a couple of freezes while saving Excel files. So far though, no other problems so far.

tastethepain
Nov 16, 2004, 01:46 PM

I can't say which is as fault for certain. I never had Office freeze on me before I installed the new RAM. Previously, I had the Apple RAM (512M) and some Crucial RAM (512M) in the PB before----no freezes.

Given that I've seen nothing else freeze on me, it could very well just be Office. If I get any more odd behavior, I'll post it here.

Originally posted by all2ofme:
Do you think that's down to the RAM or Excel? Office apps freeze (and crash) all the time for me, but I've got the Apple RAM in there at the moment.

tastethepain
Nov 22, 2004, 11:06 AM

Okay, well, I've see a bunch more odd freezing.

Camino freezes the whole system on startup. Sometimes my PB freezes on startup with the little time circle icon ceasing to rotate and the system does nothing.

So now I'm torn. Live with occassional freezing and an awesome memory deal or return to 1 gig of excellent quality Crucial memory. Hmmmm. I'm leaning towards the latter.

robgus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2004, 12:00 PM

Just got mine from newegg.com and it works perfectly this far

tastethepain
Nov 22, 2004, 07:06 PM

The special deal for the RAM wasn't from newegg. It is Outpost.com / Fry's.

I just pulled 1 gig sticks from Outpost out for good. The system kept progressively crashing and then wouldn't boot.

I put my Apple stick + Crucial stick (512mb each) back in. no problems.

I have learned my lesson. Crucial memory all the way. :-)

For those for who the Outpost memory works great with no problems, hooray.

DevNine
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 22, 2004, 09:44 PM

HAs their webpage changed or is that the same ram as offered before ?

http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4158153
$159.99
http://winlab.csbnet.se Visit the Mac Demo Scene.

robgus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2004, 12:35 AM

The special deal for the RAM wasn't from newegg. It is Outpost.com / Fry's.

I just pulled 1 gig sticks from Outpost out for good. The system kept progressively crashing and then wouldn't boot.

I put my Apple stick + Crucial stick (512mb each) back in. no problems.

I have learned my lesson. Crucial memory all the way. :-)

For those for who the Outpost memory works great with no problems, hooray.
That's not what I meant to say, previous in the post I wrote that I ordered one from outpost but then cancelled the order and put one with newegg.com instead. The report was more for that..

saman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2004, 03:55 AM

Fry's RAM shipped today and I thought I'd share my experience:

Installation was easier than thought. I didn't think it would even be that uncomplicated to slot the memory card in. No drastic pushing needed whatsoever.

Card got instantly recognised by OS X (you can check it in Apple --> About This Mac)

Everything feels snappier and runs smoother on 1.5 GB. Put it to sleep, woke up again - no problems.

I can't seem to notice any temp increase either. It might get more though, since I am now using many more applications at once :-))

All in all, still an awesome deal!

Greetings,
saman

STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 23, 2004, 04:02 AM

Let us know if you have crashes and/or kernel panics (forced restarts), saman.
Apple user since 1987

rcitrin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2004, 12:58 AM

Well, just to add my 2c, I ordered it last night at 9pm, it came this morning at 11am (for only $9!!) and the thing is bloody perfect in my Al 1.5, booted up right away, and I have been hitting it hard all day and it seems great.

I also love the symmetry, I have a 1.5ghz with 1.5gb...now all I need is to pull the 80gig and pop in a 1.5...

Speaking of which, any of you replaced your factory drives? If so what did yu pop in and where and how much?

Thanks!

R.

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 25, 2004, 07:31 AM

Glad to hear it. Was this the newegg or Outpost RAM?

Originally posted by rcitrin:
Well, just to add my 2c, I ordered it last night at 9pm, it came this morning at 11am (for only $9!!) and the thing is bloody perfect in my Al 1.5, booted up right away, and I have been hitting it hard all day and it seems great.

I also love the symmetry, I have a 1.5ghz with 1.5gb...now all I need is to pull the 80gig and pop in a 1.5...

Speaking of which, any of you replaced your factory drives? If so what did yu pop in and where and how much?

Thanks!

R.

saman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2004, 09:55 AM

Originally posted by STAT:
Let us know if you have crashes and/or kernel panics (forced restarts), saman.

I've been using the Outpost deal for a couple of days now. Have put my PB 17" to sleep a couple of times; shut it off, turned on, restarted, and everything is in perfect order (touch wood)!

1.5 GB is very nice. After testing it out with almost 20 programs running (including running a video at the same time) I don't think I will even need to upgrade to 2 GB, as this is enough for me!

maninmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2004, 11:13 AM

"Glad to hear it. Was this the newegg or Outpost RAM?"

It was the Outpost stuff...I know that everyone knows this, but just in case; you know that when you install new RAM on the first rboot you need to zap the Pram 5 or 6 times...sounds like this may be responsible for problems that people are having...well, that and the odd bad stick!

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 25, 2004, 03:23 PM

Why so? I've not heard of that before. I don't see why you'd need to reset anything. You don't need to on PCs and I've not found anything before that makes the Mac a bigger pain in the arse than a PC

saman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2004, 10:52 AM

Originally posted by maninmac:
you know that when you install new RAM on the first rboot you need to zap the Pram 5 or 6 times...sounds like this may be responsible for problems that people are having...well, that and the odd bad stick!
could you elaborate on this? I haven't done this (wouldn't even know HOW to do it) but everything seems to work smoothly..

sielo_X
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2004, 11:12 AM

i hope this works out b/c there's no frye's stores here in iraq.

maninmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2004, 02:00 PM

Hey guys..

Your mac has (and always has had) a type of memory inside it called PRAM (parameter RAM) that holds low-level settings, memory config, and the like. I used to work for Apple as an SE, and every time that we installed RAM to a machine we always "zapped" the PRAM to force it to refresh it's settings and see your new memory address space.

Now, I am not saying that you HAVE to, as in it will not work if you don't...but 99% of the time that your machine crashes or freezes after a new RAM install is due to this...the other 1% is just plain bad RAM! :-)

To Zap it: hold down command (apple), option, P and R keys at once and then turn on your machine...you will hear the normal boot chimes...keep holding them down, you will hear another set of boot chimes, this means that you have "zapped" the PRAM once..I usually hold them down and zap 5 or 6 times in a row (hear 5 or 6 boot chimes) after I install RAM.

Anyway, sorry for the long winded explanation...also: back in the OS 6,7,8,9 days, you would lose all of your Appletalk/display settings, but afik that is no longer an issue in OS X.

Robin.

Dark Rob
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2004, 11:07 PM

wow great info about the zapping. is there anything bad that can happen from doing that?

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 28, 2004, 08:48 AM

Now I'm thinking of ordering another 1gb stick for xmas time (as my parents are bugging me for gift ideas and I can't come up with too much)... mmm well i'd like a red porsche...

Anyway, anyone having any problems using the outpost ram with kingmax ram (specifically a 1gb stick). Just wondering, I'm guessing this isn't too common of a combination... but it's what I'll have if I upgrade...
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 28, 2004, 01:02 PM

Outpost.com again has 1GB RAM $159.99, part 4158153

If you wanted to give it a try, here's the latest URL:

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4158153#detailed

Says in stock, same day shipping.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2004, 09:06 PM

Originally posted by SEkker:

I seriously wonder how sweet 1 gig of RAM would be. I have 512 right now, which should be plenty, and the last thing I need is to justify this by saying that I do a lot of compiling and run bunches of applications at a time. I know I shouldn't invest in this, there are so many OTHER things that I need to spend that money on.

"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

mgehman
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2004, 11:13 PM

Originally posted by [APi]TheMan:
I seriously wonder how sweet 1 gig of RAM would be. I have 512 right now, which should be plenty, and the last thing I need is to justify this by saying that I do a lot of compiling and run bunches of applications at a time. I know I shouldn't invest in this, there are so many OTHER things that I need to spend that money on.

Yeah but it is so cool to put 2GB's of ram in your sig.
"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners."
- Ernst Jan Plugge
MacBook Pro 2.33GHzDC 3GB RAM

macndave
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2004, 09:47 PM

I jumped on this deal for my still somewhat new 1.5Ghz 15" AlBook. I ordered one 1 Gig chip from Fry's/Outpost's website on Sunday (11/28) with two-day delivery for $159 plus $7 shipping. I got an email that the RAM shipped today and should arrive Thursday (12/02).

I will let y'all know if I have any problems with the RAM. The chip will bring me up to 1.256. I have two 256 Megabyte chips currently and noticed that the Activity Monitor is only showing 87 megs of Free RAM (I only have iTunes, Safari and Activity Monitor open, but 20 other processes are running.)

1.5Ghz AlBook G4 + 20" Cinema Display
Cable Modem via Airport Express
iSight Enabled @ dmwilsonh

bookofjames
Forum Regular
Dec 1, 2004, 02:13 AM

yes! mine has just shipped yesterday. can't wait for it to get here...

soon my 12" Albook will be 1.25GB RAM...
book-of-james.com

12" Rev B PwBk (Oct2003)
1GHz | 60GB HDD (4200rpm) | 1.25 GB RAM

videian28
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2004, 04:56 PM

would this work in a new iBook as well?

DevNine
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 1, 2004, 07:02 PM

Originally posted by SEkker:

Just ordered 2gb. I ordered this months ago but cancelled when they couldn't ship. Got a friend in NYC who is bring it back to Ireland for me as the lamers don't ship internationally

macndave
Forum Regular
Dec 1, 2004, 08:11 PM

Originally posted by macndave:
I jumped on this deal for my still somewhat new 1.5Ghz 15" AlBook. I ordered one 1 Gig chip from Fry's/Outpost's website on Sunday (11/28) with two-day delivery for $159 plus $7 shipping. I got an email that the RAM shipped today (11/30) and should arrive Thursday (12/02).

I will let y'all know if I have any problems with the RAM. The chip will bring me up to 1.256.
The RAM chip arrive today (12/01).

It was a quick install, and all is well so far. I did zap the PRAM (Command, Option, P-R) on startup and let it "gong" three times. Some things seem a little zipper (drop down menus, tabbing between applications. Though subjective, my 800mhz G4 PowerBook "feels" faster than this one. I used the setup assistant to copy my user account, documents and applications from the old PowerBook to the new one. So, perhaps something got copied over that is affecting the performance.

1.5Ghz AlBook G4 + 20" Cinema Display
Cable Modem via Airport Express
iSight Enabled @ dmwilsonh

DevNine
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 2, 2004, 01:45 PM

Originally posted by DevNine:
Just ordered 2gb. I ordered this months ago but cancelled when they couldn't ship. Got a friend in NYC who is bring it back to Ireland for me as the lamers don't ship internationally
And it shipped today , 12 hours later ! Yipee .

kashirat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2004, 02:09 AM

Got my memory today.. everything is running nice and smoothly so far.

I upgraded from 512 -> 2 GB and OH MAN what a huge difference. There is no lagging now.. I can have all my apps open and things are just as snappy as having only one or two apps open with 512 mb ram!

Awesome Just Awesome! Much appreciation to azdude for bringing this deal up.. Thanks!

'kash

bookofjames
Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2004, 03:18 AM

mine just arrived in Singapore this morning. They tried to deliver to my home but I was at the office. Called them up to arrange a delivery tonite.

can't wait~!
*rubbing hands with glee*
book-of-james.com

12" Rev B PwBk (Oct2003)

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 3, 2004, 06:06 AM

Mine arrived yesterday and is working fine at the moment. Ran memtest on it for eight hours without a problem. 2GB feels nice so far

Will do some proper Photoshop work over the weekend and see how it holds up.

bookofjames
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2004, 10:31 PM

just to report back...

When I installed it, I reset the PRAM just to be sure.

I've been running on the new outpost ram for 3 days now. So far it works perfectly. Best deal I've gotten ever.

book-of-james.com

12" Rev B PwBk (Oct2003)

DevNine
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 9, 2004, 09:27 PM

My ram arrived in NYC today.I will have it in Ireland on Friday week, will keep everyone posted.

Guy Kuo
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2004, 02:08 PM

Mine has worked perfectly since installing it over three months ago. My PB AL 12 inch 1 GHz gets a solid workout every day. Even sleeps just fine.

99RedSi
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2004, 01:32 PM

Have there been any reported problems yet?

Because there is a KingMax 1GB PC2700 SO-DIMM at NewEgg for $193.00 right now .. reputable company...
Mac Mini C2D 1.83/1/80/10.5.5
iMac G4 20" Superdrive 1.25/1.25/80/10.4.9
iBook G4 12" 1.33/512/40/10.4.9
iPod Video 30GB / Shure e4c Earbuds

WhitE_RabbiT-PB
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 14, 2004, 11:18 PM

I'm very curious to know the current status, after PRAM resets and all.

Now that Christmas is finally upon us, I feel inclined to treat myself to a second gig.
WhitE_RabbiT

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 16, 2004, 06:25 AM

Mine are still running perfectly. No crashes, no seize-ups. Just two happy gigabyte DIMMs

drainyoo
Senior User
Dec 16, 2004, 11:20 AM

does this RAM work in the 1ghz 17in?
i hate project managers.

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 16, 2004, 11:59 AM

Yes.

Originally posted by drainyoo:
does this RAM work in the 1ghz 17in?

drainyoo
Senior User
Dec 16, 2004, 12:28 PM

Originally posted by all2ofme:
Yes.
Thanks.
i hate project managers.

drainyoo
Senior User
Dec 17, 2004, 02:20 PM

I just installed the 1GB chip and everything looks good so far.
i hate project managers.

Casper Crane
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 19, 2004, 12:16 AM

works for me. just bought 2 of these 1 GB sticks and they are running smoothly in a Rev. A 17-inch. good for a week now.

i think i'm ready for whatever Tiger has to throw my way now. unless it requires an upgraded video card.

Forum Links
Forum Rules