Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > ~ The official Tiger buglist

~ The official Tiger buglist (Page 2)
Noonster
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 25, 2005, 10:23 AM

I think some people are being very picky
MacBook • 13.3" MacBook Aluminum Unibody, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 250GB
iMac G5 • 20" iMac G5, 1.8GHz, 1GB, 160GB, SD, AP, BT/KB/MS
iPod Mini • Silver, 4GB
iPhone 3G • Black, 16GB

Evinyatar
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 25, 2005, 10:33 AM

Another one: I have a logitech mx900 bluetooth mouse, and have assigned the three buttons around the scrollwheel to Expos� features. When I hit one of the two buttons closest to the scrollwheel the front window scrolls a bit and then does the expos� thing.

And one more that I discovered typing this post: Safari is still horribly slow with these animated gifs like the smilies on the forum. This gets annoying when typing in this forum here. Hitting alt-e (for the accent on the �) and immediately continuing to type without waiting for each letter to arrive on screen, the accent is applied on every character that is typed until the next screen refresh. Like so: "expos鴴fe�t�res"

Edit: apparently the safari slowness is only there with Quartz 2D Extreme enabled... guess they disabled that by default for a reason then.
PowerMac G4 400MHz/832MB/60GB
AlBook G4 15" 1.25GHz/1.5GB/60GB
Athlon 64 3500+/Asus A8N-SLI Premium/2GB RAM/990GB HD/GF7800GT 512

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2005, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
So, is this the buggiest release ever?

Well... It's probably not gonna top 10.1 in this category. (I'm not counting 10.0.)
I dont' think so, none of the bugs are real deal breakers as they don't crash the system. Any third party bugs will probably be solved by the 29th.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

mAxximo
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 25, 2005, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by badtz
iTunes Widget
can anyone get this to work properly? It keeps freezing, and/or launching iTunes automatically when it's not open.
The iTunes widget is useless, basically.
Since Dashboard remains unresponsive for the first 3 to 5 seconds (or more) while it's updating the info on the rest of the widgets, trying to i.e. pause/stop a song in iTunes will do squat during all that time, which basically defeats the purpose of the widget idea: quick access to stuff....
Why does the iTunes widget have to wait for the others to finish updating, btw????

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2005, 10:44 AM

I never understood the purpose of an iTunes widget at all. You can reduce the iTunes window to mini-player mode and control it from there, or control it from the Dock all the time directly. Why would anyone switch to another layer of mini-applications to control an already running application that is directly accessible? Escapes me.

mAxximo
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 25, 2005, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Socially Awkward Solo
I dont' think so, none of the bugs are real deal breakers as they don't crash the system. Any third party bugs will probably be solved by the 29th.
Well, since most of the bugs seem to be affecting the very few things that make Tiger any different from Panther from the end user perspective, I'd say they feel pretty much like deal breakers to me...

iDriveX
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 10:50 AM

Here's another one. In a wireless distribution system via multiple Airport Expresses, the handoff between the Airport expresses used to be seamless, now whenever you roam, when you hand off from one to another there is about a 15-30 second lag before you have any internet access and a thing called "Network Diagnostics" comes up. Before you can get through the entire screen, the internet is back about 15-30 seconds later (even though you have full airport bars the whole time).

Version 4.0 - Now Powered By iWeb

mAxximo
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 25, 2005, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
I never understood the purpose of an iTunes widget at all. You can reduce the iTunes window to mini-player mode and control it from there, or control it from the Dock all the time directly. Why would anyone switch to another layer of mini-applications to control an already running application that is directly accessible? Escapes me.
For some people with small monitors or laptops even the mini-player can get in the way sometimes. Quickly pressing F12 to bring in the iTunes widget is actually a good idea. Too bad Apple failed on the implementation...once again.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2005, 10:58 AM

I like how people are perfectly happy to be the first to install a new version of software (especially an OS), and then get upset when there are bugs (Tiger is a POS!!!!!!11 They stoel my cash and my megahurtz!!!!!11).

Not that there shouldn't be a buglist here (there should be - that's what the forum is for), I'm just picking on those who are getting so upset about it. It's a no-brainer that there will be bugs with a first release, so next time, wait for the x.x.1 update and save yourself the stress.

mAxximo
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 25, 2005, 11:09 AM

Tiger is not a first release, it's actually the fifth version of the OS since they're naming it �OS X�. More than that if you count NeXT.
I like how some people will always find excuses, explanations and apologies for anything Apple do wrong. Now it's OK to have bugs: we are the idiots who didn't wait for the update before installing.

hellmachine
Forum Regular
Apr 25, 2005, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by mAxximo
Well, since most of the bugs seem to be affecting the very few things that make Tiger any different from Panther from the end user perspective, I'd say they feel pretty much like deal breakers to me...
exactly! may it spotlight not searching all partitions, the new mail, not importing all mails, or dashboard which imho has less bugs. it actually works fine, but there are details like 5 sec lags until some data got displayed or the general misplacement of text. like the calendar numbers sitting to high... but these bugs aren't bad. the others are.

NeilCharter
Senior User
Apr 25, 2005, 11:27 AM

I am also surprised that people are complaining so much about Tiger. It seems pretty good to me. Speed and responsiveness on a Sawtooth upgraded to 1GHz is significantly better than with Panther.

There are always bugs in any OS or program. It is unrealistic to imagine that Tiger would be released without a few. Some of those bugs I'm sure will be addressed very quickly by Apple.

Of course Tiger is an iteration of previous OS X releases, but it also includes a lot of new features and technologies. So expecting it to be bug-free is ridiculous IMHO.

I'm still amazed that with each major release the OS works more efficiently with a greater number of features. That never happened with pre-X OS systems nor with windows either.

I really would like to see a thread with all the neat things people have found about Tiger. It would be good to get up to speed with all the new tricks.
If I had a signature, it would look something like this

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Apr 25, 2005, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Evinyatar
Edit: apparently the safari slowness is only there with Quartz 2D Extreme enabled... guess they disabled that by default for a reason then.
Hmmm... Interesting.

Tiger is not a first release, it's actually the fifth version of the OS since they're naming it �OS X�. More than that if you count NeXT.
I like how some people will always find excuses, explanations and apologies for anything Apple do wrong. Now it's OK to have bugs: we are the idiots who didn't wait for the update before installing.
I could have sworn this place wasn't Thalo.net...

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2005, 11:48 AM

It is a first release of a major revision (i.e. - lots of new functionality and under the hood stuff). Some of this stuff hasn't seen the light of day until now. I fully expect there to be a few bugs right out of the gate, as do the more sensible people here. That's software.

If you rushed out and bought the .0 release of Tiger, expecting it to be picture perfect, then yes, you are an idiot, or you've never bought software of any sort in your life. Since you have nothing else to do but constantly complain about everything in this forum (oh, except for OS 9!!!!!!!!!111) I susupect you were clicking the refresh button on your order status every 10 minutes without a thought in your little head.

One more thing. I didn't specify this as a characteristic of Apple releases, so take your whinging about Apple apologists and cram it, with a healthy dose of sand. Go back and read, and next time try to comprehend a post before you run in here and start crying about it. Or better yet, leave the forums and go outside for the first time in your life.

mAxximo
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 25, 2005, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by NeilCharter
I really would like to see a thread with all the neat things people have found about Tiger. It would be good to get up to speed with all the new tricks.
Someone already started a thread like that, look it up. There are some cool little things like the Command-Control-D on any word to get the dictionary definition of it on the spot (the physical spot anyway, it actually takes some time to load...) and some others.

jlgrandam
Forum Regular
Apr 25, 2005, 11:51 AM

Wow, I don't have tiger yet but all this talk of Dashboard not being updated when it is out of sight is really really disappointing. It was something that I always assumed would be true. But having to wait for it to update the weather etc is unacceptable. Dashboard was the main thing I was looking forward to and now it sounds very underwhelming. Hopefully they will fix this in 10.4.1.
12.1" Powerbook G4

Evinyatar
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 25, 2005, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by jlgrandam
Wow, I don't have tiger yet but all this talk of Dashboard not being updated when it is out of sight is really really disappointing. It was something that I always assumed would be true. But having to wait for it to update the weather etc is unacceptable. Dashboard was the main thing I was looking forward to and now it sounds very underwhelming. Hopefully they will fix this in 10.4.1.
Honestly, it's not that bad. If you get rid of the World Clock and Calendar widgets it's pretty snappy. I've got iTunes, two weather widgets, dictionary, translation, calculator and stock widgets in place, and it all gets updated in under a second.

mAxximo
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 25, 2005, 12:05 PM

Oh, the usual zombies insulting me because I don't drool over Apple products or jerk off over a photo of Steve Jobs like they do...
I thought you guys would stay away from any thread where any faults in OS X could be found and openly talked about...

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Apr 25, 2005, 12:11 PM

This is a useful thread; just drop it and don't let it degenerate into a flame war.
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 12:16 PM

I'll take the few seconds for info to update over CPU cycles getting chewed up while the widgets are inactive...

hellmachine
Forum Regular
Apr 25, 2005, 12:19 PM

hi neal,
tiger indeed is quite snappier� even on my old g4. there are many nice features but a discussion about the good, the bad, the ugly is a bit offtopic. this thread is about bugs. and these are the toughest since the itunes installer raiding my harddrive a few years ago. the mail problem is scary, because often you don't even expect missing mails. and then it's to late. your daily and weekly backup is overwritten... same with the spotlight bug not always indexing partitions. in tiger spotlight is the only way to find stuff. if it fails, you find nothing...

Originally Posted by NeilCharter
I am also surprised that people are complaining so much about Tiger. It seems pretty good to me. Speed and responsiveness on a Sawtooth upgraded to 1GHz is significantly better than with Panther.

There are always bugs in any OS or program. It is unrealistic to imagine that Tiger would be released without a few. Some of those bugs I'm sure will be addressed very quickly by Apple.

Of course Tiger is an iteration of previous OS X releases, but it also includes a lot of new features and technologies. So expecting it to be bug-free is ridiculous IMHO.

I'm still amazed that with each major release the OS works more efficiently with a greater number of features. That never happened with pre-X OS systems nor with windows either.

egg
Apr 25, 2005, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Evinyatar
I think he means that when you click outside the menu and the dock the dock stays shown and the icon stays magnified. In panther the dock would hide itself (if hiding was turned on), not so in Tiger; it just sits there until you move your mouse around in it again.

Xcode 2 bug: can't set the code completion menu shortcut. Now it's set at escape, but I'd like to set it to ctrl-space.

Platinum interface: if you zoom in real tight in the top window corners of the those windows that have the titlebar and the toolbar merged (like System Preferences) you'll notice ... well, it just looks weird. The shadow of the corner just stops instead of blending and it just looks wrong. Most people don't notice it without zooming in, but I do.
exactly. you can click on the desktop to lose focus, but still the icon will stay large. very wrong! and this happens every time i try it on my PB.

Evinyatar
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 25, 2005, 12:27 PM

Yay, found another one Start a slideshow in the Finder, go into index mode and hover your mouse over a pic, use the arrow keys to select a different picture, hover your mouse over another pic, use the arrow keys again. What happens is that the arrow keys navigate relatively to the last picture that was selected using the arrow keys, not the one that was last selected (using the mouse).

PER3
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 25, 2005, 12:36 PM

The iSync menu icon doesn't work - one has to load and run the application itself.

Also, there is no "revert" button on the Devices menu, and when you run iSync for the first time, it loads all of the info on your comp onto the phone without asking.

No big deal. These will get fixed.

Otherwise, I'm enjoying the hell out of the details.

JLL
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2005, 01:04 PM

I like how some people will always find excuses, explanations and apologies for anything Apple do wrong.
Well, Mac OS 9 was perfect - no bugs - 9.1-9.2.2 were just released to exercise the update feature.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

mAxximo
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 25, 2005, 01:18 PM

Oh-My-God.

joltguy
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 25, 2005, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by cybergoober
I'll take the few seconds for info to update over CPU cycles getting chewed up while the widgets are inactive...
I'd prefer to have an user preference for this... Dashboard can have my SETI@home cycles.

tikki
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 01:20 PM

I thought Automator was under Applications, not Applications/Utilities?

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2005, 01:23 PM

Oh ow. This happens when you make a non-brushed metal window inactive.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by tikki

I thought Automator was under Applications, not Applications/Utilities?
It is...that help screen is obviously out of date

siMac
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 01:57 PM

� Archive Utility insists on floating above all other windows.

� Safari keeps pestering me about applications in files I'm downloading and I can't seem to find a preference to make it shut up - if anyone knows how please share.
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

Thinine
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 01:57 PM

It was like that in Panther too.

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 02:08 PM

FWIW I think Mac OS X 10.4 is the most solid and bug-free and polished major release yet. IMHO with this release the Macintosh is back baby!!

A spacial Finder would be appreciated in the future though

“Building Better Worlds”

siMac
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Thinine
It was like that in Panther too.
No it wasn't. Maybe in the Finder, but if you switched apps it would fall in line. Now the damn thing is floating over this webpage as I type.
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

OreoCookie
Apr 25, 2005, 02:22 PM

Tiger is subjectively buggier compared to 10.3.0 (7B86 if I remember correctly). Knowing Apple, it'll take two or three updates to fix those issues.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Thinine
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 02:27 PM

I was talking about the inactive window appearance, which is the same.

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 02:42 PM

Is it just me, or is iChat Agent not responding in Artivity Monitor? Anyone else have a mysterious "Library" file in the network Finder window? And when your HD is the Dock and you ctl click on it, it brings up some system mach files?
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2005, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Webscreamer
Anyone else have a mysterious "Library" file in the network Finder window? And when your HD is the Dock and you ctl click on it, it brings up some system mach files?
yep and yep

Fusion
Senior User
Apr 25, 2005, 03:18 PM

It may have been on your system, but out of the hundreds on Panther systems I have worked on, I have never seen that. However, a three installations of Tiger I have worked with I have noticed it, not on the title bar, but on the lower corners of brushed metal apps. It seems to be drawing another layer for the shadow that makes them square.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2005, 03:45 PM

Never seen that in Panther.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 25, 2005, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie
Tiger is subjectively buggier compared to 10.3.0 (7B86 if I remember correctly). Knowing Apple, it'll take two or three updates to fix those issues.
Yeah, but at least 10.4 is not nuking Firewire drives. That was the worst bug of all time, IMO, although I was not harmed by it.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

nforcer
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Fusion
Dashboard:
Again, this is not so much of a bug as it is an annoyance. All the widgets do not update until you activate dashboard, creating a delay that is highly against the purpose of dashboard (to always be close and ready when you need it). The currency updated especially does not seem to update when it should and there is no manual way to force it to update.
I consider that a feature. I certainly do not want widgets running in the background using valuable resources while I play WC3 or some other intensive game. I suppose if they added a preference, even a hidden one, it would not hurt.
Genius. You know who.

PBG4 User
Senior User
Apr 25, 2005, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by joltguy
I'd prefer to have an user preference for this... Dashboard can have my SETI@home cycles.
This may not be the easiest solution but, go into the widget package and look the where the Javascript is stored. Look for the onhide() function. Comment out the code. There, now the applet won't go to sleep when Dashboard is inactive.

[edit]
The code to comment out would look something like so:

Code:
function onhide() { if (timerInterval != null) { clearInterval(timerInterval); timerInterval = null; } }
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2005, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by nforcer
I consider that a feature. I certainly do not want widgets running in the background using valuable resources while I play WC3 or some other intensive game. I suppose if they added a preference, even a hidden one, it would not hurt.
Connecting to the net every half hour for a few seconds wouldn't harm anything.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

mAxximo
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 25, 2005, 05:51 PM

On Dashboard I agree the best thing would be having a preference for how often each one wants the widgets updating their information in the background and a modifier key + F12 to make them update the moment they're invoked.

torifile
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 06:27 PM

Something very strange with Mail. I got a forwarded email from my wife. The "forwarded" part wasn't there in the new Mail.app. On my eMac, running Panther, Mail.app showed the message. View the source of the email in Tiger showed the message that she forwarded. Very weird. How do I fix this?

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 06:34 PM

Mail in 10.4 is buggy.

“Building Better Worlds”

torifile
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Weyland-Yutani
Mail in 10.4 is buggy.
That sucks b/c mail.app is my most frequently used application. I *don't* want to have to use Entourage.

smitty825
Forum Regular
Apr 25, 2005, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
Yeah, but at least 10.4 is not nuking Firewire drives. That was the worst bug of all time, IMO, although I was not harmed by it.
It may be the all time worst OS bug, but IMHO, the all time worst apple bug was the iTunes updater that wiped the hard drives of every hard drive with a space in its name (ie. 'Macintosh HD')

In an attempt to stay on topic, there seems to be several memory leaks. When I boot up my Tiger system, the kernel_task process uses about 40MB of memory. After using it for an hour or so, it's up to ~92. I'm afraid to see what happens once it's on all night.

Also, it seems that several of the dashboard modules begin to use up more than their fair share of memory as time goes on. I'll keep my eyes on those processes!

NeilCharter
Senior User
Apr 25, 2005, 10:47 PM

Generally Safari is a lot faster than in Panther, especially with the 12 tabs I have constantly open.

However I'm seeing it quit every so often. Generally the app has been running for several hours and when I come back to the machine there is a quit message.

Not a biggie - it could have something to do with the number of tabs open. Safari in Panther used to annoy me because it would start slowing down after a while with lots of tabs open. I would end up having to restart it to get it working properly again.
If I had a signature, it would look something like this

Forum Links
Forum Rules