Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Logitech MX1000 driver causes screen freeze

Logitech MX1000 driver causes screen freeze
hawiken
Forum Regular
May 26, 2005, 06:05 PM

Aloha,

I was using a logitech cordless keyboard and mouse on my refurbished cube; everything worked just fine. But I really hated the keyboard, and because of some of the quirks of the cube, I got a macally icekey wired keyboard, and a MX1000 laser mouse, which is a little large, but very accurate.

The problem- after installing the logitech drivers for the MX1000, I started suffering random screen freezes, and no key combinations would unfreeze the screen- I had to do a hard restart every time. This happened system wide, in the finder, in any open application that I happened to be using, and at random (shades of OS 9!).

After trying various hardware combinations, I finally found that uninstalling the logitech control center and running on the generic apple mouse drivers solved the screen freeze problem, but at the cost of not being able to utilize all of the buttons on the mouse, and, the mouse movement leaves some things to be desired- it's not as accurate as I would like, and the acceleration curve is a little weird, particularly when it comes to pinpointing the target.

I tried USB overdrive, and still suffered from random screen freezes. I tried going back to the old logitech mouse and driver, and now they are causing random screen freezes as well. The only way that I can work is to use the generic apple mouse driver, which is less than optimal.

Upgrading to Tiger didn't help.

So, the question is... can anyone give me any ideas as to how to solve this problem? It's really driving me nuts.

The cube is: 1.4 Ghz Digi Design processor (clocked down from 1.5 Ghz), 1.5 GB memory; Radeon 9200 video card; Western Digital 80 GB drive in a Powerlogix enclosure, with an erase and install of Tiger.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Ken

CatOne
Mac Elite
May 26, 2005, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by hawiken
Aloha,

I was using a logitech cordless keyboard and mouse on my refurbished cube; everything worked just fine. But I really hated the keyboard, and because of some of the quirks of the cube, I got a macally icekey wired keyboard, and a MX1000 laser mouse, which is a little large, but very accurate.

The problem- after installing the logitech drivers for the MX1000, I started suffering random screen freezes, and no key combinations would unfreeze the screen- I had to do a hard restart every time. This happened system wide, in the finder, in any open application that I happened to be using, and at random (shades of OS 9!).

After trying various hardware combinations, I finally found that uninstalling the logitech control center and running on the generic apple mouse drivers solved the screen freeze problem, but at the cost of not being able to utilize all of the buttons on the mouse, and, the mouse movement leaves some things to be desired- it's not as accurate as I would like, and the acceleration curve is a little weird, particularly when it comes to pinpointing the target.

I tried USB overdrive, and still suffered from random screen freezes. I tried going back to the old logitech mouse and driver, and now they are causing random screen freezes as well. The only way that I can work is to use the generic apple mouse driver, which is less than optimal.

Upgrading to Tiger didn't help.

So, the question is... can anyone give me any ideas as to how to solve this problem? It's really driving me nuts.

The cube is: 1.4 Ghz Digi Design processor (clocked down from 1.5 Ghz), 1.5 GB memory; Radeon 9200 video card; Western Digital 80 GB drive in a Powerlogix enclosure, with an erase and install of Tiger.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Ken
I have no idea why you installed the Logitech drivers at all. Why did you do that? The mouse works perfectly well with the built in OS X drivers. I have my keys mapped to Expose, even.

hawiken  (op)
Forum Regular
May 27, 2005, 04:16 AM

Well, uh, CatOne, thanks. I'll be sure to try that.
Ken

Forum Links
Forum Rules