Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Scheduled Shutdown doesn't close applications!!

Scheduled Shutdown doesn't close applications!!
Noted
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2005, 11:36 PM

Whenever I schedule a shutdown, it doesn't automatically close applications. For example if I have iMovie left overnight to encode a movie for example, scheduled shutdown tries to shutdown but can't because iMovie is open?

I dont understand this because when you shutdown normally im sure iMovie would close.

Whats going on here? How can i fix it?

Thinine
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2005, 11:38 PM

Is iMovie offering to save something? If it's doing anything that would pop up a dialog, it will prevent shutdown.

Noted  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2005, 11:43 PM

iMovie was just an example. Its actually a problem with iGrabNews (a usenet client) while downloading headers overnight. When I wake up I have a messege saying it prevented shutdown. But there are no popups or anything.

Noted  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2005, 11:49 PM

Oh actually when you close iGrabNews it has a popup asking if your're sure you want to close the application. Is there anyway to remove this?

Detrius
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2005, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by Noted
Oh actually when you close iGrabNews it has a popup asking if your're sure you want to close the application. Is there anyway to remove this?
Write the developer and tell them it is causing problems. Ask them to remove it or to offer an alternative. If they can't help you out, look for a different program. It might not be a bad idea to say that to the developer.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 25, 2005, 03:34 AM

Have you thought about just letting it automatically go to sleep? That way it'll sleep when the operation's finish and you don't need to worry about closing apps. The wattage-usage difference is negligible and it is a lot less wearing to your components to wake from sleep than doing a cold boot.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2005, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - -
Have you thought about just letting it automatically go to sleep? That way it'll sleep when the operation's finish and you don't need to worry about closing apps. The wattage-usage difference is negligible and it is a lot less wearing to your components to wake from sleep than doing a cold boot.
Good point! Why are you shutting down? That's so '80s. Sleep is the thing to do.

Noted  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 25, 2005, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - -

Forum Links
Forum Rules