Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Printer sharing issue with Windows

Printer sharing issue with Windows
xec17
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2005, 01:17 PM

Hi all,

I have a Al PB 15" and a HP Pavillion ZT3000 laptop both running on an AirPort Express wireless network. Both computers receive IP addresses and can access the internet on the network.

There is an HP OfficeJet 5510 all-in-one printer hooked up via USB to the AirPort Express. I had no issues setting the printer up on my PB. It recognized the printer without a problem and sends jobs to the priter without issue. The Pavillion, on the other hand, has problems.

I used the Add Printer Wizard to set up the printer, creating a local TCP/IP port with address 10.0.1.1. After inputting the network address, the Wizard finds a device of unknown type. I select Standard from the options, and Generic Network Card from the drop down menu. At that point I am I complete the Add Standard TCP/IP Printer Port Wizard. It selects No SNMP and RAW. Port 9100 for the Protocol. At that point I finish setting up the printer and everything finishes without a problem except that when I send jobs to the printer nothing happens. Does anyone know what the problem could be? Thanks.
( Last edited by xec17; Sep 13, 2005 at 04:40 PM. Reason: more descriptive title)

aasmund
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 4, 2005, 02:34 PM

i have similar problems with my oki laser printer. Anybody knows how to fix this?

hawiken
Forum Regular
Oct 4, 2005, 08:59 PM

What you need to do is assign the IP address of the Airport Express to the printer in the Printer and Fax control panel on the HP Pavilion.
First, you need to determine the address of the AE, using Airport Admin Utility.
Then, in the Printer and Fax control panel on the Windows computer, right click on the printer icon (assuming that you've already installed the driver and added the printer); select 'Properties'; select 'Ports'; select 'Standard TCP/IP Port'; at this point the Add Standard TCP/IP Printer Port Wizard will start; use this to assign the IP address of the Airport Express to the printer, and you should be in business.
For more information, check out:

http://www.ifelix.co.uk/tech/1004.html

If I've made a mistake (entirely possible), you'll find the answer there.
Good luck!
Ken

Forum Links
Forum Rules