Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook goes into standby when I close it.. grrr

Powerbook goes into standby when I close it.. grrr
Noted
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2005, 11:35 AM

Whenever I close the Powerbook because I want to control it on a TV , the mac just goes on standby and I have to press a button to make it come back on. Is there a way I can set it to do nothing when I close it.

ibook_steve
Dec 4, 2005, 03:16 PM

No, that's the way it works. If the machine didn't go to sleep (not called standby) when it was closed, the hard drive would keep spinning and could possibly get damaged as well as the whole machine overheating. When you wake up the machine in closed lid mode, it knows to not turn on the internal display and use only the external.

Steve

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2005, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve
No, that's the way it works. If the machine didn't go to sleep (not called standby) when it was closed, the hard drive would keep spinning and could possibly get damaged as well as the whole machine overheating. When you wake up the machine in closed lid mode, it knows to not turn on the internal display and use only the external.
I think this explanation is a bit fishy; closing the lid should not make a laptop overheat. As you say, you can wake it up, and it will run just fine closed without overheating.
In my opinion you should be able to close a laptop and have it remain on but turn off the screen (since you can't see it anyway). I'm not sure why Apple chooses not to allow that.

colosodian
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2005, 06:31 PM

Heat rises, when the lid is closed heat is trapped more than if the lid is open. However, tons of people run their powerbooks in closed-lids mode with no heat problem.

pete
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2005, 07:04 PM

In fact, Apple describes on its website how to run the powerbook with a closed lid - an indication that it thinks it is alright.

sadpandas
Forum Regular
Dec 4, 2005, 07:45 PM

I thought I misunderstood the thread title... Guess not.
*Dual 2.8 quad core Mac Pro, 512 8800 GT, 1tb boot, 500gb audio, 340gb video, 6gb ram
*15"pb*1.67*128vm*100hd*2g ram*
*PMac*Dual 2.0GHz* 4g ram*
*3.0 p4 630* gigabyte848p775* radeon X800 Pro 256* 2g ram*

phantomo
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2005, 10:18 PM

I am still puzzled about this thread. Can someone explain what's the relationship between closing the Powerbook and controlling it on a TV?
15"MBP/C2D2.4GHz/4GB RAM/320GB HD
15"MBP/C2D2.16GHz/3GB RAM/250GB HD
12"PB/1GHz/768MB/60GB/SuperDrive/AE
iPhone 8GB/iPod video 30GB

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 4, 2005, 10:46 PM

The user wants it to not sleep when closing the lid, so as to run it in clamshell mode with an external display (which can be a computer display or TV).

And no, the machine won't overheat when closed. The last PowerBook model to require the lid open for cooling was from 1998.

tooki

phantomo
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 5, 2005, 02:18 AM

OIC, I guess the answer is no then because that's they way it works.

From the manual:
Using Your PowerBook With the Display Closed
You can use your PowerBook with the display closed if the computer is connected to
an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse.
Important: To use your PowerBook with the display closed, the power adapter must be
plugged in to the PowerBook and an outlet.
To operate your computer with an external monitor attached and the display closed:
1 Connect a USB keyboard and mouse to your PowerBook.
2 Connect the power adapter to the PowerBook and an outlet.
3 Close the PowerBook display to put the computer to sleep.
4 Follow the steps in the previous section to connect your PowerBook to an external
display.
5 Wait a few seconds and then press any key on the external keyboard to wake the
PowerBook.
15"MBP/C2D2.4GHz/4GB RAM/320GB HD
15"MBP/C2D2.16GHz/3GB RAM/250GB HD
12"PB/1GHz/768MB/60GB/SuperDrive/AE
iPhone 8GB/iPod video 30GB

ibook_steve
Dec 5, 2005, 02:02 PM

I guess I did not explain myself clearly. I know you can operate in closed lid mode without overheating. But I think the original poster was talking about closing the lid and the machine staying awake. So yes, it would be stupid to leave the LCD on when the lid is closed. I was trying to imply that the machine must be put to full sleep before it can be put in closed lid mode and that there is no way around this. If you could go right to closed lid mode by just closing the lid, the machine would still be running even if you meant to simply put it to sleep! There needs to be some way to distinguish between going to sleep and going into closed lid mode, and the only way to do that is to go to sleep first.

Steve

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2005, 03:28 PM

It would be kinda cool if it had an option to stay awake if closed while connected to an external display and power cord. Especially 'cause you might want to control it with Salling Clicker ( <3 ) and not bother with having to stick your keyboard atop your tv.

ibook_steve
Dec 5, 2005, 05:24 PM

Once it's in closed lid mode, you can remove any mouse or keyboard you used to put it in that mode.

Steve

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2005, 01:13 AM

Yeah, but assuming you only have one keyboard and mouse and don't usually use 'em anywhere near the TV, it'd be nice to not lug them around when you're hooking the PB up to the TV. It's not a big thing. I'm just sayin', it'd be, y'know, nice

ibook_steve
Dec 6, 2005, 03:03 AM

I thought you could wake it up with Bluetooth.

Steve

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2005, 03:09 AM

In that case, I should just shut up. My PowerBook doesn't have built-in BlueTooth, so I wouldn't know. But if I could close the lid and immediately wake it up w/my phone, I wouldn't complain..

Forum Links
Forum Rules