Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The power of censorship

The power of censorship
moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Jan 28, 2006, 06:49 PM

This is a fun new game to teach yourself and others the power of censorship. Using creative search strings just divide the number of hits from http://google.com/ by the number of hits from http://google.cn/ The higher the number the higher the score.

For example using "google china censorship" returns 1,340,000 hits at g'.com and only 375,000 at g'cn. So one of the things Google is helping the Chicoms hide is the fact that they are helping the Chicoms hide things.

...even more amusing is searching on Tiananmen Square -- on g'.com it brings up articles on the killings of the students, the democracy protests, etc., on g'.cn it brings up only tourist information on the site.
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2006, 06:54 PM

You are aware that I can't compare the number because google.com and google.cn both forward to google.de, aren't you? So what do you want to proof here?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2006, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
You are aware that I can't compare the number because google.com and google.cn both forward to google.de, aren't you?
Sounds like a bit of German censorship going on there.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2006, 07:09 PM

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2006, 07:15 PM

If Google doesn't censor their results, then they probably won't be alowed to do business in countries like China.

moki  (op)
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Jan 28, 2006, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
If Google doesn't censor their results, then they probably won't be alowed to do business in countries like China.
That's true -- and Chinese users cannot get to http://www.google.com/ due to the China's massive firewall system.

I wasn't making a statement about whether it was right or wrong for Google to do this, but rather just that you can actually see the effect of censorship first-hand, which is interesting.

This is also an interesting take on it:

So let's say it again: There is no such thing as an efficient dictatorship. Only, when you it this time, think of Google and China.

Yes, it's true that Google should take great shame in kowtowing to the Butchers of Beijing, but that's not the whole story.

We take Google for granted, but we shouldn't. For those lucky enough to live in the US, Google has given has a virtual research library â?? for free. I'm a better thinker, a sharper writer, and a richer individual thanks to Google.

And what will Google do for China? The answer is: Less than it's done for us. . . . China is trying to compete in the high-tech economy, while crippling the tools that make such competition possible.
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2006, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by moki

We take Google for granted, but we shouldn't. For those lucky enough to live in the US, Google has given has a virtual research library â?? for free. I'm a better thinker, a sharper writer, and a richer individual thanks to Google.
wow

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2006, 09:53 PM

Whose words are those, Moki? I can't tell if that's a quote or not.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2006, 10:17 PM

Rolling Bones
Banned
Jan 28, 2006, 10:26 PM

...censored...
( Last edited by Rolling Bones; Jan 28, 2006 at 10:34 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules