Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Third Party Batteries

Third Party Batteries
PurpleRabbit73
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2006, 05:13 PM

I was just wondering, how safe or effective are third party batteries on the MBP or my 12" PB?

schalliol
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2006, 12:24 AM

I don't think there are any MBP 3rd Party batteries out there and I'm not aware of any 12" (though I don't have one). I personally wouldn't trust any 3rd party battery on these units.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

PurpleRabbit73  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2006, 02:51 PM

And what is the worst thing that could happen with these? Break the computer or not work and be a total waste of money? OR BOTH

schalliol
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2006, 06:13 PM

Certainly both. A poorly designed battery could cause significant problems.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2006, 06:26 PM

A crappy lithium battery is dangerous. They can catch fire if they malfunction, for example.

If you go third party you can get higher capacity than Apple's. I don't think there's anything wrong with buying a good battery from a reputable seller.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2006, 06:33 PM

i think owc have some 3rd party batts
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 27, 2006, 06:53 PM

As long as you're not getting your third party battery off the back of some random truck, and it looks like a legitimate battery, I don't think there's much to fear. I love the third party battery in my iBook

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 27, 2006, 07:08 PM

i got a NewerTechnology battery for my clamshell; it works flawlessly and i get 6 hours of use.

they now have 12" PB batteries

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

ndptal85
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2006, 10:55 PM

I have a NewerTech 55Watt-Hour battery in my 12" Powerbook and I get 4 hours of battery life from it. Works great.
Main Computer and EyeTV 200 DVR: Mac Mini Core Duo 1.66Ghz 2GB Ram 160GB HD.
Road Warrior: MacBook White 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo 2GB Ram 80GB HD.
Kubuntu Book: Dell Lattitude C400 running Kubuntu Linux 6.06 1.33 Pentium 3 CPU 1GB RAM 40GB HD with Creative laptop speakers (it only has one speaker).

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 28, 2006, 12:09 AM

Bought one off batteries.com for cheap. No complaints thus far.
MacBook Pro 15" -- 2.2Ghz, 4GB, 200GB 7200rpm
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

davidahn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 11, 2006, 02:12 AM

I had a NewerTech battery for my PowerBook G4, and it gave great battery life, and looked fantastic, with the same LED lights and everything; the only downside was that rather than the animated lights of the original Apple battery (lighting up in sequence), they all lit up at once.

However, the PowerBook never gracefully went to sleep when critically low like the original; it just unceremoniously turned off, losing me all my work. Did I just need to calibrate it, or is this a common problem with third-party batteries?

David

psk-ele
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2006, 12:27 PM

David,

Your Newertech battery does not include the same circuitry as the OEM Apple battery. Therefore when your battery runs low, your computer will just shut off, not go to sleep. This is a feature Apple includes as a matter of courtesy. The reason I have never bought a third-party battery, even though they have higher capacity, is that they are just batteries, nothing more. No calibrating, chanting, wishing, or hoping will get that feature in your Newertech battery. If you need the auto-sleep functionality of the Apple Batteries, then you must buy Apple (I am not aware of a third-party company that includes this).

As far as calibration, all replacement batteries have a power chip that needs calibrated, so follow the instructions for initial use when you use a new battery (generally-charge overnight, run till in the red or your computer goes to sleep/shuts-off, recharge)

Also, Li-Ion batteris DO NOT like to be fully discharged. Complete discharge of the battery repeatedly will severely degrade battery life (I realize it is necessary for calibration).
"When people say that Macs suck, that
means they have never used
them.....trust me...."

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 11, 2006, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by psk-ele
David,

Your Newertech battery does not include the same circuitry as the OEM Apple battery. Therefore when your battery runs low, your computer will just shut off, not go to sleep. This is a feature Apple includes as a matter of courtesy. The reason I have never bought a third-party battery, even though they have higher capacity, is that they are just batteries, nothing more. No calibrating, chanting, wishing, or hoping will get that feature in your Newertech battery. If you need the auto-sleep functionality of the Apple Batteries, then you must buy Apple (I am not aware of a third-party company that includes this).

As far as calibration, all replacement batteries have a power chip that needs calibrated, so follow the instructions for initial use when you use a new battery (generally-charge overnight, run till in the red or your computer goes to sleep/shuts-off, recharge)

Also, Li-Ion batteris DO NOT like to be fully discharged. Complete discharge of the battery repeatedly will severely degrade battery life (I realize it is necessary for calibration).
I don't believe this to be true for NewerTech batteries:

http://eshop.macsales.com/Reviews/Fr...ditioning.html

Those batteries require calibration and the macs go to sleep before they power down. I've noticed no electronic functionality difference between their and Apple OEM batteries.

We've purchased Newertech batteries for TiPB and white iBook models, they worked great. The PB17 batteries (2) did not fit well in my revA PB17, so bought an Apple battery when my original was only lasting an hour.

tigas
Forum Regular
Apr 12, 2006, 07:28 AM

The NuPower 7200 on my Pismo certainly goes to sleep when it's empty. 4andsomething hours of webbing/texting! On a Pismo!

I'll test the DVD playback this weekend, but it should be enough for Apocalypse Now Redux .
My Mac is a Pismo G4/550: 1GB RAM, 40GB 5.4k, Airport, DVD-R, and still black, silent and curvaceous!

john h
Apr 12, 2006, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by bradoesch
A crappy lithium battery is dangerous. They can catch fire if they malfunction, for example.

If you go third party you can get higher capacity than Apple's. I don't think there's anything wrong with buying a good battery from a reputable seller.
Exactly what is a 3rd party battery? Apple does not make it's own batteries and the people who make batteries for them probably make them for 100 other brands. The same 3.6volt battery I buy at Radio Shack for $17 is the same one I can buy for $2 from another dealer. They look alike, have the same name on them, and will test out the same. Something to watch out for is when were they made? Regardless of whether it is new or not if it is old it is a waste of money and time. Many wireless security systems use the same battery as in many Apple computers and there are zillions of them out there. I have 23 in my security system in my home. I average about 5 years on these 3.6 volt, 1/2" lithium batteries. Be sure and check the voltage before you install it.

john h
Apr 12, 2006, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by PurpleRabbit73
I was just wondering, how safe or effective are third party batteries on the MBP or my 12" PB?
Please excuse my previous dumb post. I was thinking of the 3.6v batteries (i had just bought 2 dozen for my security system) not the main battery in a power book. Personally I would have no problem with a batter without the Apple name on it. I would buy it from a reputable dealer however. Apple does not make batteries and the 3rd party battery may even be better than the original.

Pao|o
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2007, 06:49 AM

Are the claims of NewerTech true about up to 50% more battery life for the iBooks?

PEPPERRULES
Forum Regular
Jul 19, 2007, 11:57 PM

After the battery recalls and too many warnings against Chinese products, you might want to get a genuine battery, especially if you use the laptop on your lap.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2007, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Pao|o View Post
Are the claims of NewerTech true about up to 50% more battery life for the iBooks?
Pretty much. It's based on the capacity of the cells used. Early batteries have a certain amount of storage. Over time, battery companies sometimes improve how much energy each cell can hold. Making new batteries out of these higher capacity cells results in a high capacity battery that lasts longer.

I bought a battery for my Pismo that would last 8 hours compared to 4 or 5 for an original battery. Nice.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2007, 06:44 PM

So I read the battery for my iBook G4 (mid-2005), it directed me to the 'NuPower 55.5 Watt-Hour Battery' model. Later, I looked at the Apple equivalent replacement part number section and noticed something interesting/confusing. My original Apple battery has the part# M9337G/A and/or model# A1061 rated at 4585 mAh (50 Watt-hour).

The NewerTech models are 4100 mAh (45.5 Watt-Hour) and 5000 mAh (55.5 Watt-Hour)

winterlandia
Forum Regular
Jul 29, 2007, 10:03 AM

I purchased a third party battery for my 12" powerbook and was sorry I did. It didn't fit completely right, didn't have a metal sliding cover (it was painted plastic-- the WRONG color at that, they didn't bother to match the aluminum paint color right) and didn't have the nice 'battery indicator light' I'm used to on the bottom of the battery. In short, just get the apple one unless you can see how it really fits in your computer. And now after reading the rest of this thread I'm pretty sure it will catch fire. Great.

ndptal85
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 29, 2007, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by winterlandia View Post
I purchased a third party battery for my 12" powerbook and was sorry I did. It didn't fit completely right, didn't have a metal sliding cover (it was painted plastic-- the WRONG color at that, they didn't bother to match the aluminum paint color right) and didn't have the nice 'battery indicator light' I'm used to on the bottom of the battery. In short, just get the apple one unless you can see how it really fits in your computer. And now after reading the rest of this thread I'm pretty sure it will catch fire. Great.
Care to tell us what brand of 3rd party batteries you bought? My NewerTech 3rd party batteries fit just fine and had the light indicator on the bottom. NewerTech is a LONG time vendor of Mac hardware, including the very popular MiniStack external FireWire HD for the Mac Mini.
Main Computer and EyeTV 200 DVR: Mac Mini Core Duo 1.66Ghz 2GB Ram 160GB HD.
Road Warrior: MacBook White 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo 2GB Ram 80GB HD.
Kubuntu Book: Dell Lattitude C400 running Kubuntu Linux 6.06 1.33 Pentium 3 CPU 1GB RAM 40GB HD with Creative laptop speakers (it only has one speaker).

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jul 29, 2007, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by john h View Post
Exactly what is a 3rd party battery? Apple does not make it's own batteries and the people who make batteries for them probably make them for 100 other brands. The same 3.6volt battery I buy at Radio Shack for $17 is the same one I can buy for $2 from another dealer. They look alike, have the same name on them, and will test out the same. Something to watch out for is when were they made? Regardless of whether it is new or not if it is old it is a waste of money and time. Many wireless security systems use the same battery as in many Apple computers and there are zillions of them out there. I have 23 in my security system in my home. I average about 5 years on these 3.6 volt, 1/2" lithium batteries. Be sure and check the voltage before you install it.
The laptop battery is more than the actual cells; there's also the circuitry that controls charging, measures capacity, and reports all that information to the computer. There is no guarantee that a third-party laptop vendor is duplicating all this circuitry correctly (although one can assume that a company with a good rep is doing this correctly.) It's even possible that Apple is using a custom chip in all their batteries that can't be easily copied to control a lot of these functions.

You're right that the people who make the battery cells make them for all sorts of computer brands. This is why when Apple had their battery recalls, Dell had some, too: the problem was with Sony Li-Ion cells that both companies used in their laptop batteries.

If your laptop battery goes south, but the circuitry is still working, it is possible to phisically open the case up, and replace the cells inside. This will "fix" the battery while still preserving all of its functionality, since the Apple-specific circuitry is still there. However, soldering Li-Ion batteries is not for the faint of heart: go pay someone to do it if you're not experienced with electronics.

winterlandia
Forum Regular
Jul 31, 2007, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by ndptal85 View Post
Care to tell us what brand of 3rd party batteries you bought? My NewerTech 3rd party batteries fit just fine and had the light indicator on the bottom. NewerTech is a LONG time vendor of Mac hardware, including the very popular MiniStack external FireWire HD for the Mac Mini.
I am not sure of the brand, but it looked very generic and it was from SmallDog. It was definitely not a NewerTech though as I would have remembered the name. What I ended up doing and I'm sure this isn't a good idea either, was to take the apple battery and pry off the matching metal plate. Then I took off the crappy looking plastic metal painted battery cover and whittled the plastic on the new battery (being verrrrry careful not to breach the plastic shell) to accomodate the new metal plate. Then I glued the metal plate onto the battery. Now it at least looks good again. The battery life is great now but I do wish I'd have gone with the apple battery or at least checked out the newertech version.

Forum Links
Forum Rules