Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Can USB adaptor be Windows and Linux compatible only?

Can USB adaptor be Windows and Linux compatible only?
JGruber
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2006, 04:29 PM

Am setting up a network with a Macbook Pro connected to a ReadyNAS storage server over Gigabit ethernet. I plan to connect the NAS's remaining port which happens to be USB to a DLink ADSL Modem/Router's Fast ethernet port which connects to the Internet. The Gigabyte link is the most important the network, it between me and much of my data, and other link may be slower but still provides an acceptable connection to the Internet. Why go into this detail. So you can see why it's set up that way. {I could have bought a Gigabit data hub to connect everything together but would pref to keep the setup as simple as possible}. <p>

Now to my question!!!<p>

One of the link is from a USB to Ethernet. I plan to buy a USB to Ethernet adapter. There are several on Ebay at the moment. I notice that a few state that they are Windows XP, 2000, 98 and Linux compatible (No mention of Macintosh). I thought the point of USB and Ethernet for that matter is that as standards they are platform neutral. Moreover you should be able to connect them between any device with the necessary interface. Could someone confirm if some USB devices only work with some OS and not others. Or if the mention of Windows compatible is just marketese and it should work just as well like any network device.

ghporter
Administrator
May 18, 2006, 06:06 PM

If the device does not have a Mac OS driver, then it is NOT Mac compatible. That's all there is to it. And a lot of manufacturers don't bother with Mac drivers because they don't have the programming expertise (such as it is) to write the drivers.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

JGruber  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2006, 07:20 PM

Are you saying that these adapters are only meant to be connected between a PC running windows for example and some other device. In other words you cannot cannot them between a router with a USB interface and an ethernet data hub

rjt1000
Senior User
May 18, 2006, 07:39 PM

Hi,

If I understand you correctly, you want to connect your MacBook Pro to a NAS device and have it also available on the internet. I would follow the specific setup instructions of your device, but assuming that your NAS has only one ethernet port, I believe you would connect (all with ethernet cables) the NAS to one LAN port of a gigabit router, the MacBook Pro to another LAN port of the router and the internet to the WAN port of the router.

I believe the usb ports of the NAS would be to connect computers that you want to have direct usb connections with the NAS, not to add additonal network adapters.

Hope that helps,

rjt1000
( Last edited by rjt1000; May 18, 2006 at 07:46 PM. )

JGruber  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2006, 08:32 PM

So you think the USB port would not be networkable. The doco says it is for a printer but I assumed more. May ask on the forums for the NAS. Sounds like if I want to get Gigabit speeds between the Mac and the NAS I am going to have to invest in a Gb data hub.

ghporter
Administrator
May 18, 2006, 09:11 PM

A USB dongle of any kind must be connected to a computer to function. There's a difference between the two kinds of USB connectors (A for computers and B for devices) for a reason-the device MUST be driven by a computer.

JGruber  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2006, 09:34 PM

The NAS is a computer and runs a cut down version of Linux called RAIDiator,. Not sure if this means i can install drivers. This is a RAID box. I think I will go down the data hub switch path anyway. Thanks for your contributions guys.

ghporter
Administrator
May 19, 2006, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Newman
The NAS is a computer and runs a cut down version of Linux called RAIDiator,. Not sure if this means i can install drivers. This is a RAID box. I think I will go down the data hub switch path anyway. Thanks for your contributions guys.
Most embedded systems don't give you any option to install anything; they're locked in with what they have.

I also had a thought: the manual for my own NAS specifically states that you shouldn't use the USB and ethernet connections at the same time. Apparently it confuses the tiny little computer brain inside. (Mine also has a B USB connector, implying that the connection is strictly "device" rather than being something that the box itself can control.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules