Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Pismo battery issue

Pismo battery issue
Lampard
Banned
May 30, 2006, 05:28 AM

Hi,

My Pismo (400MHz/640mb RAM) has two batteries that historically work fine and are most always used simultaneously. After not using this system for a couple months. I powered it on again this weekend. One battery appears to be accepting and holding a charge, while the other is recognized but is not being charged in the bay. The problem follows the battery and not the bay, so it doesn't matter which slot the suspect battery is in. Powercycling the Pismo and charging batteries while the laptop is powered off yields the same results.

Is there any hope at all for this battery? It is recognized as present, it just shows as 0% and has the AC plug icon on the battery, not the charge bolt. Sometimes when I insert it, the charge bolt will be there for 60sec or so and the status button on the battery gives the single-LED flash, but after a while the AC plug icon returns and the button does nothing. I don't think that a PMU reset would have an effect since the other battery seems to be working fine...

Any suggestions appreciated... I don't really want to spend $70 on another battery for obvious reasons.

TIA

tigas
Forum Regular
May 30, 2006, 12:37 PM

I think the battery is dead. Lithium cells have a propensity to die when left discharged in storage. You take a battery out of storage just to find out that one of the cells has short-circuited itself and has taken the whole battery with it.

However, 70 bucks will give you at least 4 hours of runtime. I'm writing this in my Pismo G4/550 1GB RAM ( with Airport on and LCD at max, 55% CPU) and it's on 96%, 4h11m prediction. It could be hard to justify the expense for a 400/640, however. But since this is my only Mac...
My Mac is a Pismo G4/550: 1GB RAM, 40GB 5.4k, Airport, DVD-R, and still black, silent and curvaceous!

tigas
Forum Regular
Jun 1, 2006, 07:37 AM

Forgot to mention that my battery is one of the NewerTechnology 7200mAH ones...
My Mac is a Pismo G4/550: 1GB RAM, 40GB 5.4k, Airport, DVD-R, and still black, silent and curvaceous!

Forum Links
Forum Rules