Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > "drag" feature not working on iBook G4

"drag" feature not working on iBook G4
rebelrouser
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2006, 07:32 PM

iBook G4, dragging not working with mouse....i cant drag stuff to desktop or around the desktop, from my files on Finder, or from iPhoto to iChat boxes etc etc. Basically, nothing is dragging Was there a button I hit on accident? Anyone know how I can fix this?

Thanks

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2006, 07:39 PM

Dragging does not work but clicking with the button does?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

rebelrouser  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2006, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
Dragging does not work but clicking with the button does?

yes i can open files/pictures/programs just fine with clicking, but i cant drag anything

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 11, 2006, 07:45 PM

That's a problem that happens (very) occasionally with OS X. I've had it happen a couple of times, but I don't recall how to fix it. You might search the OS X forum. Does restarting the computer fix it?

rebelrouser  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2006, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Icruise
That's a problem that happens (very) occasionally with OS X. I've had it happen a couple of times, but I don't recall how to fix it. You might search the OS X forum. Does restarting the computer fix it?

Hmmm maybe I will try that. I never restart this thing unless I have "updates". It always just sleeps. That's another thing....is that bad for the laptop to do that??

I'm gonna try that now...

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 11, 2006, 08:00 PM

Restarting can sometimes clear up problems, but I see no need to do it unless you actually have a problem.

rebelrouser  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2006, 08:00 PM

Ha, that was easy. Just had to re-start it thanks!

Still curious, is bad to never restart or shut down my computer? Constant sleep mode when not in use, except with software updates?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 11, 2006, 08:02 PM

That's what I do.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2006, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by jdmtnbikr
Still curious, is bad to never restart or shut down my computer? Constant sleep mode when not in use, except with software updates?
Works for many of us. Deep sleep is so close to shut down anyway - there's just a small amount of electricity used to keep the contents of RAM and to keep the processor(s) on in low power state. Of course, you're going to be shutting down a laptop a bit more often than a desktop because at times you'll find yourself in very low battery situations where it's prudent to shut down instead of going into sleep mode. Otherwise, the battery may drain enough to cause the computer to turn off.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

rebelrouser  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2006, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
Works for many of us. Deep sleep is so close to shut down anyway - there's just a small amount of electricity used to keep the contents of RAM and to keep the processor(s) on in low power state. Of course, you're going to be shutting down a laptop a bit more often than a desktop because at times you'll find yourself in very low battery situations where it's prudent to shut down instead of going into sleep mode. Otherwise, the battery may drain enough to cause the computer to turn off.

Ok cool, thanks guys. One more question....if I have my charger plugged in when it is "green" and just leave it there, is that draining the battery/charger faster then if I took it out when it reaches full charge? Do you guys take it out alot, or leave it in most of the time? (when not traveling obviously)

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 11, 2006, 09:06 PM

Just leave it plugged in all the time and don't worry about it. It's designed so that the battery won't be harmed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules