Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > most camcorder for the least $$

most camcorder for the least $$
v8q
Apr 23, 2002, 10:59 AM

I am a DV newbie and want a camcorder. I am looking at the Canon ZR series (probably a zr25 or zr45) or a Sony miniDV - probably the TRV17.
I am leaning toward the Canon just because I don't like Sony products all that much - but the TRV17 seems to be a real nice camera.

Anybody care to push me one way or the other?
Anybody have a better pick?

Michael S.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2002, 12:18 PM

I have a ZR40 and I am happy with it. I found it for about $500 at http://www.video-direct.com/. The ZR45 adds more still picture capabilities, but if you have a digital camera you don't need it. The only thing I would like is a powered hot shoe like on the ZR50 which lets you add a video light or camera.

The ZR40 has a lot, including analog inputs so you can convert VHS tapes. But I haven't used any other DV cameras, except in the store, so I can't tell you how the video quality compares.

Michael S.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2002, 12:24 PM

By the way, for newbies (like myself) who will be using iMovie, I recommend the book iMovie 2: The Missing Manua by David Pogue. Lots of advice on shooting and editing as well as iMovie itself.

all_about_collaboration
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2002, 09:21 AM

My vote goes to the Canon Optura 10 MC because of its Progressive Scan mode and the better CCD. You should be able to buy it for about $900 and there is a $100 mail-in rebate from Canon. I have been using it for some 2 months and the image quality is incredible.

milhous
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2002, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by all_about_collaboration:
<STRONG>My vote goes to the Canon Optura 10 MC because of its Progressive Scan mode and the better CCD. You should be able to buy it for about $900 and there is a $100 mail-in rebate from Canon. I have been using it for some 2 months and the image quality is incredible.</STRONG>
A point of clarification. Are you referring to the Optura 100 MC? Here's the link. Was it just a typo?
http://www.canondv.com/optura100mc/index.html

Besides that point, that's a very nice camera. Is it lightweight and what type of battery life do you get out of it?
F = ma

all_about_collaboration
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2002, 12:42 AM

Oops, I mean Elura 10 MC. The Optura 100 MC has been around for a long time, the Elura is a newer model. As far as battery performance goes, I have been getting a full day of walking around and shooting stuff, then recharge at the hotel (I was on vacation in Italy). I really love the progressive scan mode, which I use all the time.

Check out http://www.bhphoto.com for a good price. Many on-line merchants advertise low prices, but don't have the equipment in stock or push you into buying add-ons. I have been using B&H Photo for many years for all of my photo needs and their service is excellent.

nitram_again
Apr 25, 2002, 07:38 AM

I have the TRV17 and I think it's great.
Go here to compare your favoured models http://www.dvspot.com/reviews/cameraList.php (just select each one and click the COMPARE button)

Things I like about my TRV17: night shot - it's fun; 3.5" LCD screen; chromakey effect (sort of DIY bluescreen using a still pic with a blue area and video footage that replaces the blue area).

[ 04-25-2002: Message edited by: nitram_again ]
_ _ _ _____________ _ _ _
Martin

digimage
Banned
Apr 30, 2002, 01:21 PM

Just be sure whatever camera you buy has the Mic in FRONT, not on top of the camera. Otherwise, you'll hear yourself breatthing on tape, and the audio will be softer than if your mic was in front of the cam.

As far as brand? I use canon and Sony. I won't buy other brands; Final Cut is very picky.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2002, 03:35 PM

I think the cannon ZR series is great for the money. I have the Sony TRV17 and love it. I got an open box model, so it was just a touch more expensive than the Cannon.

I'm not a pro, but a friend of mine who is uses the TRV17 as a backup camera on shoots. His main rigs are those big expensive Cannon's, I don't remember the model. This was a great endorsement of the TRV17 for me.

Paco

[ 04-30-2002: Message edited by: Paco500 ]

Paco500
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2002, 03:36 PM

Originally posted by Michael S.:
<STRONG>By the way, for newbies (like myself) who will be using iMovie, I recommend the book iMovie 2: The Missing Manua by David Pogue. Lots of advice on shooting and editing as well as iMovie itself.</STRONG>

I concur- everyone who uses iMovie should get this book.

Paco

Matsu
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2002, 03:42 PM

If you really want the most camcorder for the least dollars, go to a second hand shop and pick-up an old consumer grade shoulder mount VHS camcorder. Those things are huge. Definitely the 'most' camcorder for your money.
Apple: bumping prices, not specs.

nitram_at_work
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2002, 06:26 PM

Originally posted by digimage:
<STRONG>Just be sure whatever camera you buy has the Mic in FRONT, not on top of the camera. Otherwise, you'll hear yourself breatthing on tape.</STRONG>

Particularly problematic for homemade pr0n
_ _ _______ _ _
is this where the signature goes?

waffffffle
Mac Elite
May 1, 2002, 10:38 PM

My family bought a ZR25MC last summer for our trip to Europe. We're pretty happy with the camcorder itself. However the thing is extremely slow to use in iMovie. By that I mean importing footage was slow because it was hard to navigate around. I also made the mistake of using iMovie in OS X instead of OS 9 at first. My dad is pretty annoyed at me though. Because I promised to make an iMovie of our vacation and I never did it. I started but it was taking so long that I gave up.

The one thing with the camera that I was a bit disappointed with was the quality of the stills. It only took 640x480 stills. I thought it should have been better than that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules