Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Online business card recommendations?

Online business card recommendations?
NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2006, 11:45 AM

any good online business card operatations out there that can be recommended?

looking for a online card company that takes illustrator files and can match PMS numbers for a 3 color card.

Ideas?

thanks!

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2006, 12:17 PM

i used overnightprints.com once and never again...although their prints looked good, their die cuts are the worst ive ever seen.

i first ordered rcr cards from them, in which the edges looked like a 4yr old with an xacto was forced to round. i called with my issue and told them to change the card to square corner cut which seemed to solve the issue, but i still took an xacto to even out the uneven centering.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

mydog8mymac
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 27, 2006, 12:23 PM

Most of the online places for b. cards are digitally printed (4color) so you'll have to convert your Pantone colors first. I would NOT trust them to do this. I would also suggest using the Pantone solid to process guide sometimes just clicking the box in Illustrator will not give you the best conversion.

art_director
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2006, 09:45 AM

I would steer clear of Industry Printing. ( http://www.industryprinting.com ) Their customer service is miserable and the quality inconsistent. Additionally, the box looked like it was packed by a blind chimp.

I've had good experiences with Modern Postcard. ( http://www.modernpostcard.com )

Regardless who you use do know that these types of print shops will never match the quality of offset. The printing is sub-par and the trims often sloppy. If it's an important job don't take the risk of using a service like this.

Just my two euros...

chrismccorkle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2006, 02:12 PM

I can't even read that crap. I'd definitely steer clear of that just because I have no idea what the site is upon first glance.

I've been very happy with overnightprints.com, but that's only when I'm not expecting INCREDIBLE things. If I want good prints, I will take them to a print shop. Simple.

mydog8mymac
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 1, 2006, 03:48 AM

I use modern postcard all the time for postcards, though I've never used them for b.cards.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2006, 08:51 PM

the funniest thing about overnightprints.com is that they offer a free gift with purchase of certain amounts. so i checked it out and it was my choice between a bunch of gaudy cards talking about god and angels.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

art_director
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2006, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by iREZ
the funniest thing about overnightprints.com is that they offer a free gift with purchase of certain amounts. so i checked it out and it was my choice between a bunch of gaudy cards talking about god and angels.

Talk about not knowing your target market...bwahahahaha...

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2006, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by NYCFarmboy
any good online business card operatations out there that can be recommended?

looking for a online card company that takes illustrator files and can match PMS numbers for a 3 color card.

Ideas?

thanks!

FOR spot color printing, I would recommend your local offset printer. These online companies tend to run digital or all process.

sonicularulus
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 2, 2006, 03:15 PM

i used vista print...they offer free business cards and for free, they aren't that bad. the only down side is that they leave a little note on the back of the card if you get the free ones advertising their site...

pretty good though

JGruber
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2006, 10:14 PM

We use at work http://printingforless.com - they give really great quality and very good service as well.. there prices are reasonable too.

EnVoy
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 4, 2006, 05:18 PM

www.psprint.com

Used em for b-cards and stickers, they look great. They do all sorts of other stuff, posters, cards, one-sheets, tickets, stickers, etc..

Thorzdad
Aug 7, 2006, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by art_director
...I've had good experiences with Modern Postcard. ( http://www.modernpostcard.com )...
I second ModernPostcard. I've used them on several jobs and found their quality excellent. (Postcard jobs, only, though. I assume the b-cards will be as good.)
Superior support, too. They actually provide ICC color profiles for their presses, so you can color-manage your job correctly.

ralph4208w
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2006, 11:15 AM

i've been very happy with VistaPrint. If you order something, select the slowest shipping method...it'll arrive in a very quick manner, and you'll pay the least for shipping. I've ordered about 4 or 5 times and the slow shipping has worked very well
favourite sites: RankAMovie.com, imdb , cnet

E8MC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2006, 12:18 PM

I'm a retired Marine Corps 1stSgt, and I do Custom Business Cards from my home at the rate of $25 per 1,000 and can typically have them in your hands within 3 business days once you approve the design.

All info and samples are shown on the website -- Discount Business Cards

art_director
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2006, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by E8MC
I'm a retired Marine Corps 1stSgt, and I do Custom Business Cards from my home at the rate of $25 per 1,000 and can typically have them in your hands within 3 business days once you approve the design.

I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what your military service has to do with printing biz cards. Not trying to be a wise guy, just confused and curious.

E8MC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2006, 01:10 PM

NP, art-director ... many Forums like to know a little something about you in the way of an "introduction".

art_director
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2006, 01:11 PM

Gottcha.

andi*pandi
Sep 1, 2006, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by E8MC

we're all designers here, how much if we provide the artwork? What formats? Can you do bleeds? What type of printing process do you use?

smitty45
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2006, 10:53 PM

Did anyone try printing business cars themselves?
http://bizcardcreator.com

George1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2006, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by smitty45
FREE Business Cards Creator Create and Print Business Cards Online
I used the Discus program that came with Toast Titanium. It did a great job out of my inkjet. I put a color picture with all my info on the front and a black and white picture on the back. People just say wow when the see them. I used the Avery glossy business cards. 8373 Designing in Discus was pretty easy.

George1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2006, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by smitty45
FREE Business Cards Creator Create and Print Business Cards Online
The first thing is if you use a photo you need to make it work for the card. Here is what I did. I live in a very rural area and most of what I do is word of mouth. Just enough to keep IRS satifsied that this is a real business and not a hobby.

SS3 GokouX
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 7, 2006, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by EnVoy
www.psprint.com

Used em for b-cards and stickers, they look great. They do all sorts of other stuff, posters, cards, one-sheets, tickets, stickers, etc..
I will second that for PsPrint. I've used them for business cards, flyers, and event tickets, so far everything has come out really well.

Somewhere on their site you can get some free samples sent to you. One of their staff called me the next day and talked about what my needs were. They also emailed me right after the phone call and gave me a code for 15% off my first order which was nice.

"And I will rule you all with an iron fist! You! OBEY THE FIST!" -Invader Zim

Stokeroc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2006, 04:11 PM

Please give my site a try. You won't be dissapointed.

E8MC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2007, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
we're all designers here, how much if we provide the artwork? What formats? Can you do bleeds? What type of printing process do you use?
Andi - sorry for not responding sooner ... my price is $29.95 per 1,000 Custom cards, even if you provide the artwork.

Not sure I understand you about "formats" -- these are printed on standard 110lb business card stock; all orders are printed on a high-speed color laser ... does that help?

Thorzdad
Feb 15, 2007, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by E8MC View Post
...Not sure I understand you about "formats"...
I'm pretty sure Andi is referring to file formats. Do you accept press-ready PDFs? Multi-layer Illustrator or EPS files?

E8MC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2007, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
I'm pretty sure Andi is referring to file formats. Do you accept press-ready PDFs? Multi-layer Illustrator or EPS files?
Thanks for the clarification, but it seems we're not speaking the same language ... PDF's are mainly for "Flyers and Brochures", of which I don't do -- I strictly do just Custom Business Cards and the only "formats" I use are gif / jpg images.

andi*pandi
Feb 15, 2007, 07:08 PM

ok then, it's not high-res printing. A gif or a jpg is not good enough, even if you set the jpg at the highest quality. Color laser, I have access to at work.

Thorzdad is right, proper file formats are high-res PDF, EPS, or Indesign file for professionals, and that's any type of output, not just flyers and brochures. Text needs to be rendered in postscript, without bitmapping.

E8MC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2007, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
ok then, it's not high-res printing. A gif or a jpg is not good enough, even if you set the jpg at the highest quality. Color laser, I have access to at work.

Thorzdad is right, proper file formats are high-res PDF, EPS, or Indesign file for professionals, and that's any type of output, not just flyers and brochures. Text needs to be rendered in postscript, without bitmapping.
We're still worlds apart -- you guy's are talking about "Commercial" printing at major printers like Kinko's, etc where you take in "camera-ready art" and those are the correct formats for big jobs ... but, even major printers will not place a PDF file onto a little business card unless it's shrunk way down to "fit" the card.

I work from home and have been doing Custom cards for a number of years; in fact, Kinko's; OfficeMax; and OfficeDepot send me over 90% of their custom orders due to my speed, in getting the orders back to them in 2 - 3 days.

Thorzdad
Feb 16, 2007, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by E8MC View Post
We're still worlds apart -- you guy's are talking about "Commercial" printing at major printers like Kinko's, etc where you take in "camera-ready art" and those are the correct formats for big jobs ... but, even major printers will not place a PDF file onto a little business card unless it's shrunk way down to "fit" the card.
That's about as wrong a statement as you can make, I'm afraid.

PDF is a good format for any size job. It's high-quality and it's portable. There is no re-sizing needed. I could give you a simple PDF with art on it sized for a business card. You can open it in Acrobat Reader and print it from there and end up with a very nice card.

And nobody working professionally in the business considers Kinkos a "major printer". It's more like the place you go when your client has no budget and doesn't care about color quality.

E8MC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2007, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
That's about as wrong a statement as you can make, I'm afraid.

PDF is a good format for any size job. It's high-quality and it's portable. There is no re-sizing needed. I could give you a simple PDF with art on it sized for a business card. You can open it in Acrobat Reader and print it from there and end up with a very nice card.

And nobody working professionally in the business considers Kinkos a "major printer". It's more like the place you go when your client has no budget and doesn't care about color quality.
Ahhh -- had that been stated in the first place about the PDF sized for a business card, I would have understood and agreed readily ... sometimes, these keyboards don't translate what we're really saying!

Agreed about Kinko's -- I was speaking in terms of the "general population" who think of them as a major printing company.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2007, 02:15 AM

I'm giving up my degree and 10 years experience. Thanks.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2007, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by iREZ View Post
i used overnightprints.com once and never again...although their prints looked good, their die cuts are the worst ive ever seen.
We used them 3 times and each time the colours of the same file were totally different.

They also didn't print overnight like they should have so we didn't get our cards in time for a tradeshow.

They are super cheap but don't use them if quality is important.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

mikefrommass
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2007, 04:32 PM

I live up North, but I use PAWS- Raised Ink & Full Color Business Cards - Lakeland, Fl. because of their customer service. They are actually in Florida. When I call a real person answers the phone and I respect that.

I've tried those companies other's have mentioned above, but they are smaller than traditional business cards, and the paper is almost as thin as toilet paper.

Good luck guys and girls

tapupartforpres
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2007, 12:16 PM

I used Coastal Impressions for all my printing. They do it all there.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2007, 08:17 PM

Just wanted to add gotprint.com.

I'm currently in the market for promotional cards, and that's one of the three printers (next to modernpostcard and printingforless that I'm considering).

shyf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2007, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by art_director View Post
I would steer clear of Industry Printing. ( http://www.industryprinting.com ) Their customer service is miserable and the quality inconsistent. Additionally, the box looked like it was packed by a blind chimp.

I've had good experiences with Modern Postcard. ( http://www.modernpostcard.com )

Regardless who you use do know that these types of print shops will never match the quality of offset. The printing is sub-par and the trims often sloppy. If it's an important job don't take the risk of using a service like this.

Just my two euros...
I agree, and be aware that offset-printed cards will look much nicer than the digital cards. You really can't beat that nice, raised look of Pantone ink on paper. It's well worth the extra expense in my opinion.
Ryan Huber Scheife
Mayfly Design
http://mayflydesign.net

inkhead
Senior User
Sep 5, 2007, 04:33 PM

If you only need matte or slick printing, I highly recommend zooprinting.com They are super cheep, but actually print very high quality, and have an AWESOME pricing calculator and hand-holding upload and order system. I think this is the biggest selling point because usually you have too many questions and are afraid they will screw it up, however they have excellent customer service!

Yose
Senior User
Sep 5, 2007, 09:12 PM

I really don't like the feel/look of a business card printer on a digital press. First of all the paper stock is usually thinner, I think 12mil is the thickest that can get sent through a digital press? Also the toner just feels/looks worse, at least for this application. Talk to your local offset printer and find ouf if they do a weekly gang run of business cards. You'll get nice stock, and good colour on both sides. You might pay a little more, but it's worth it.

Thats my 2¢.
Yose.
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

niceday12
Baninated
Sep 19, 2007, 12:01 AM

Oh that's very kind of you to share the links .

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 19, 2007, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by niceday12 View Post
Oh that's very kind of you to share the links .
Oddest bump ev... well, in a long time, anyway.

travisimo
Sep 19, 2007, 03:20 PM

from another thread, one i started, i never found this guy, so yeah thanks

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2007, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by EnVoy View Post
Color brochure printing, business cards, postcards, calendars,posters, flyers and more

Based on a few reviews here at 'NN I ordered some die-cut from PsPrint, and -- you guess it -- they screwed up the order. Bottom line is that I am supposed to mail them both samples of the screw up and evidence of my order, and someone will call to advise me.

No thanks. I should have listened to the folks would counseled going to a local print shop.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2007, 01:39 AM

Sorry to hear that, Timo.

Always good to have control over the output and actually see who's doing the work.

Just be sure they have samples to show.

I just went to a printer, that didn't even have a sample book, just odds and ends of a few print jobs, which all sucked like a vacuum pump.

Anything you promote your business with - if you try to save too much, you lose.

Adding to the list of crap printers: gotprint. Printingforless. I have heard the worst about them.
( Last edited by Veltliner; Oct 4, 2007 at 01:56 AM. )

Zanshin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2007, 03:52 PM

Sharpdots.com handles the cards and much of the collateral printing for the company where I'm employed, but I can't say about how they would be for PMS colors. I imagine they can do it, but I would question the value it brings for a business card. We do 4/4 ( 4 process colors on both sides) heavy card stock (glossy), full bleed. They work from high-res (350dpi) .PDF or most any professional file format, turn-around is rapid, although that probably shouldn't be a concern if you want awesome quality and PMS on a business card. Runs about USD$51 per 1000, shipped.
( Last edited by Zanshin; Oct 8, 2007 at 03:53 PM. Reason: clarity)

Forum Links
Forum Rules