Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Continuing NOISE in macbook pro

Continuing NOISE in macbook pro
eddie2369
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2006, 04:42 AM

Just came back to London from Hong Kong this morning. My macbook pro was perfectly fine before the trip.
However when I start the machine when I came back, there is a loud continously noise on the left handside of the mousepad. 'hardrive' maybe??

Please help....this is driving me crazy...

Thanks

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2006, 04:48 AM

Sounds like the hard drive, but I don't know enough about the MBP's internal layout to say with certainty. Boot from another drive and unmount (eject) the internal to confirm your suspicion.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

eddie2369  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2006, 05:13 AM

''Boot from another drive and unmount (eject) the internal to confirm your suspicion?''

How could I do that? 'new mac user here'

Should I do like a system restore using the discs that are included?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2006, 05:50 AM

You're sure the sound isn't coming from around the delete key?

There have been quite a few reports on MBP right side fans breaking. The fans then start making a constant well audible sound like baseball cards hitting spokes.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=301362
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=304236
http://discussions.apple.com/thread....20771&tstart=0

eddie2369  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2006, 05:59 AM

I'm sure the sound its not from the area around the delete button.

It is around the area on the left hand side of the mouse pad? So does that mean its the hardrive?

Any ideas of what I could do? Thanks!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2006, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by eddie2369
''Boot from another drive and unmount (eject) the internal to confirm your suspicion?''

How could I do that? 'new mac user here'

Should I do like a system restore using the discs that are included?
The easiest way to do it is to connect an external firewire drive with OS X installed, hold down the option key after restarting and select the external drive. Then, when you get to the desktop, drag the icon of your internal drive to the trash so that it will not be accessed until you restart again. If the sound is no longer emitted, then your hypothesis was correct. Performing a restore would not help because this does not appear to be a software problem.

The way to do it (if an external drive is unavailable) is to open System Preferences and make sure that "Spin Down Hard Drive When Possible" is checked, then close all apps and just move the mouse for a couple of minutes. The drive should spin down.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

eddie2369  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2006, 09:15 AM

Which part of system prefrences do I find that option?

I just plugged in the powersource, the noise is gone. However when I disconnect it, the noise appears again?

Any ideas of what is wrong?

Thanks

dahcar
Aug 15, 2006, 10:07 AM

Which part of system prefrences do I find that option?

I just plugged in the powersource, the noise is gone. However when I disconnect it, the noise appears again?

Any ideas of what is wrong?

Thanks
Just search for "whine" on the forums. Call Apple or go to a store, they'll replace your logic board. If you have Apple care or are within the first 90 days of purchasing that's probably a better option than the store.

yomike
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2006, 10:31 AM

Eddie,

Is it a light clicking sound? I recently took my MBP in and they said it was the platter on the hard drive that moves. it's faint but it does get annoying in a quiet room. What I find most annoying is the loud spinning noise the DVD drive emits.

Biest
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Madison, WI (College) and Frankfurt, Germany (Home)
Aug 15, 2006, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by dahcar
Just search for "whine" on the forums. Call Apple or go to a store, they'll replace your logic board. If you have Apple care or are within the first 90 days of purchasing that's probably a better option than the store.

don't call just go to the store cause the people at apple support will tell you to go to a store

eddie2369  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2006, 12:12 PM

I just called to see what they advise to do. They asked me if I would want to do a 'mail in' however as the problem is quite hard to describe I decided to go in to the store tomorrow.

The sound does kinda clicks, but'll it'll decrease when I move the mouse or move the scroll bar.

It is quite strange that the sound disappears when I plug it into the mains.

This is really digging my head in...my second macbook pro and still have problems...

dahcar
Aug 15, 2006, 12:23 PM

I just called to see what they advise to do. They asked me if I would want to do a 'mail in' however as the problem is quite hard to describe I decided to go in to the store tomorrow.

The sound does kinda clicks, but'll it'll decrease when I move the mouse or move the scroll bar.

It is quite strange that the sound disappears when I plug it into the mains.

This is really digging my head in...my second macbook pro and still have problems...
Join the club. I cracked and bought Applecare, because I'm sick of dealing with the idiots at the genius bar. Although, i have problems, i still love it. I guess my whine diagnosis was completely off. It's weird that it disappears when you plug it in.

yomike
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2006, 12:39 PM

Eddie,

Please post any comments or resolution regarding your MBP after you take it to the Apple Store. I am curious to know what happened. Also, did you mention your build week of your machine? What hard drive did you get the 100 gb 7200, or the 5400 rpm? My machine was week28 build. Overall, I am happy with the machine. It's blazing fast and HOT as hell!

Good Luck,

Mike

eddie2369  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2006, 01:42 PM

The starting serial number of my machine is W86200. Is that a problem batch or anything?
and my hardrive is 5400 rpm. I'm happy with everything with my MBP....but this noise is unbearable....its even strange as it dissapears when I plug it in.
Hope a 40 mins drive down the road would solve this problem!! As the people over the phone don't know much about this issue.

yomike
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2006, 03:45 PM

Eddie.. take it to the store and have them listen to it in the apple store back room so they can hear the problem you are describing. Also, does the clicking noise occur when you put a lot of load on the machine (multiple apps, etc)? Good Luck, Mike

eddie2369  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2006, 11:00 AM

I took it to the store today. They did take it to the back room, but the staff said that it wasnt a big problem after hearing it, he also said its not something that is bad or anything. However I'm pretty sure its a major problem, because why does it disappears when i plug it to the mains? and it gets louder when I move the mouse.
They gave me an option to take it in to have a check up, so I took that option.
It should be ready in 7 days.
Will let u guys know the updates of this problem.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2006, 02:38 AM

I find that a pretty weird diagnose. They say it's nothing major and not bad, but they have to send it in to find out what the problem really is? My guess is they had no clue what was going on and just guessed it wasn't a big issue. 7 days w/o MBP sucks, but it's good you had it sent in.

eddie2369  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2006, 05:54 AM

OK...just had a phone call from apple yesterday, they told me that a new logic board would have to be replaced. And they have sent it to the main offices to do the work.
Is this a common problem? or my bad luck?
Should be ready in around 7-10 days, hopefully it'll be fully fixed!

yomike
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2006, 11:37 AM

Eddie,

Definitely post your results when you get your laptop back. I am curious to see if the logic board fixes your issue.

eddie2369  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 30, 2006, 02:09 PM

Just a little update....its been exactly 2 weeks now since my MBP has been in for the new logic board...however it has not finished repair and still in the main centre.
What can I do now? coz its been way too long...

Thanks

dahcar
Aug 30, 2006, 02:44 PM

Call them. I just called about mine that has been waiting for a part for a week. They said that after 7 days they can put an order out for the part that is in need to expedite the process.

eddie2369  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2006, 07:25 AM

Rang again...but again they have said that its still in the depot waiting for a part...16 days now..is this normal??! What can I do about it so they will speed up the process..?
Thanks

dahcar
Sep 1, 2006, 10:03 AM

I asked what part they were waiting for and if they could put an order out to all the depot centers to expedite the process. They said since it was passed 7 days that they could do that. Be polite and firm about wanting your computer back.

bobregular
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2006, 09:58 AM

My MacBook had problems with its logic board, but I think the difference is pro care. My ethernet quit working, so I took it in to a store and they said the logic board needed to be replaced. The turn around was very fast. I dropped it off at 8pm and had it back the next day at 1030 am. These 7 day waits you are talking about seem excessive. My logic board went haywire again after installing the firmware update, and they replaced my machine. So, I guess you do have to be firm aabout getting your machine back.

eddie2369  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2006, 01:25 PM

I hope they replace mine too....this is coz my MBP has been in for 28 days now..the worst thing is...i kept ringing through these couple of days..and all they told me is to wait and they'll call me bck...which they did not do everytime...

Is there anything else I could do which I could press on to them?

HazelGirl
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 4, 2006, 08:18 PM

that really stinks eddie...sorry you're going through that. This would truly drive me bananas. I hope you have a spare computer. It may be true that, if there is a mbp update coming soon, they may just be waiting for that and send you out a new one. It looks like all you can do is wait. You could try sending them a letter of complaint, but I wouldn't expect it to get you far. I read that you are a new mac user (me too, less than one year) but I hope this doesn't detour you from getting other Apple products. They are great when they are working properly and AppleCare can be great too when they're not beating around the bush (from what I hear). Anyway, hope you get it all straightened out.
Mac Mini G4 1.33 Ghz:40GBhf, 512MBRAM, 32MBVRAM
MBP 15.4' 2.33Ghz:160GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
iMac 24' 2.4 Ghz, 300GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
80GB iPod Classic (black)

ChrisF
Senior User
Sep 4, 2006, 09:16 PM

I hope they replace mine too....this is coz my MBP has been in for 28 days now..the worst thing is...i kept ringing through these couple of days..and all they told me is to wait and they'll call me bck...which they did not do everytime...

Is there anything else I could do which I could press on to them?
The crazy thing about this is that I sent my 2.0GHz MBP to Apple last Monday for the logic board replacement due to the whine. They received it Tuesday and shipped it out, repaired, the same day. I had it back in about 40 hours total.
This was the early model 2.0GHz w/ 256MB VRAM, serviced at Apple's Houston, TX depot in the US.
Incidentally, I do not have Procare or Applecare.

eddie2369  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2006, 05:58 PM

This is getting too ridiculous...rang again today..and got told again to wait for a call later on the same day.......however I did not receive a call from them..this situation has been repeated few times in these few days..

they told me that my MBP is in the depot...but there is no information on it what so ever....this is gettin on me right now.....as starting college soon...I need my MBP!!!

eddie2369  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2006, 11:15 AM

rang again today...they said (AGAIN) they'll call me back but I insist to talk to a supervisor..but again...the person who I got transfered to didnt have a clue...all he said was just said they've speeded up the process and the parts should arrive next week?!!

I mean...why can't they do that 2 weeks ago?!! its now been 22 days since my MBP has been in.....this is just ludacris.....apple is driving me mad..

What else which I can do to push them? or even just get a replacement?
Please help!!
Thanks

eddie2369  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2006, 11:16 AM

rang again today...they said (AGAIN) they'll call me back but I insist to talk to a supervisor..but again...the person who I got transfered to didnt have a clue...all he said was just said they've speeded up the process and the parts should arrive next week?!!

I mean...why can't they do that 2 weeks ago?!! its now been 22 days since my MBP has been in.....this is just ludacris.....apple is driving me mad..

What else which I can do to push them? or even just get a replacement?
Please help!!
Thanks

eddie2369  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2006, 02:24 PM

can anyone help or advice of what I should do???
Thanks

Forum Links
Forum Rules