Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Boot Camp XP Physical Memory Blue Screen of Death

Boot Camp XP Physical Memory Blue Screen of Death
yomike
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2006, 06:47 PM

I just installed windows xp and I am experiencing the blue screen of death. My machine freezes and then I get a blue screen of death saying something about Physical Memory Run. Is XP unstable or it something else?

2.16 MBP with 1gb of memory. Formatted the Windows partition FAT32.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, mike

spice003
Forum Regular
Aug 23, 2006, 09:46 PM

do you have the latest firmware installed, you have to have that. i installed it yesterday works fine for me. oh and also gota have 10.4.7 read the instructions.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 23, 2006, 09:55 PM

BSDs are caused by a number of things. Hardware and software issues are both suspects-what does the dump say at the begining, before the "Dump of physical memory" part? It should give you some sort of error code.

Of course if you JUST installed Windows, it might be more efficient to reinstall, maybe even from scratch. As in using the Disk Utility to delete the Windows partition and rerunning Boot Camp. I'd do this-it doesn't take that long to install Windows.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

yomike  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2006, 11:54 AM

ghporter,

I did a wipe and reinstall of the windows xp partition. The physical memory dump screen happens so fast that the screen blinked for a sec. Should I do another install. I did a long FAT32 install versus the quick version. Will formatting it NTSF prevent this?

I noticed that the blue screen of death occurs when I use firefox or multiple apps. It would freeze, keyboard lockup, and then the blue screen of death. I don't know how to troubleshoot this issue. Any other suggestions?

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 24, 2006, 08:31 PM

Sounds like a memory issue. Have you changed any of your RAM-upgraded it-recently? Is it a BRAND NEW computer? I'd see what OS X does when you load the memory with a bunch of programs too-if it does the same sort of thing (kernel panics) then it would point to a hardware, probably RAM, problem.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 29, 2006, 05:47 PM

I have a boot camp issue to. I restarted it and now my wireless is missing. So I tried to reinstall it will not let me. What should I do?

yomike  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2006, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Sounds like a memory issue. Have you changed any of your RAM-upgraded it-recently? Is it a BRAND NEW computer? I'd see what OS X does when you load the memory with a bunch of programs too-if it does the same sort of thing (kernel panics) then it would point to a hardware, probably RAM, problem.
Was using firefox when the machine went crazy and gave me the blue screen of death again. This is a new machine with apple manufacturer RAM installed.

yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 31, 2006, 01:59 PM

I still can't figure out how to uninstall the machintosh utlilites and re install it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules