Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Keeping OS X Clean?

Keeping OS X Clean?
stugots
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2006, 02:14 PM

I'm a recent windows switcher. Please forgive me if this question is "stupid" or does not apply to OS X.

Should a user periodically "clean" the OS? In Windows they provide a disk cleanup utility that wipes out some of the Junk that's stored in the system directory and such. Is there such a utility for OS X? Is it necessary? I feel like I have to keep everything clean and in order. It drives me nuts to see a load of junk files just sitting around. I'm not experiencing any symptoms of a junked OS or anything. Just wondering.

Another quick question. How do you "uninstall" some applications? I know it's just as simple as dragging the app to the trash. However, some apps leave files or folders behind. Is there a more efficient way of "uninstalling"?

Please don't get me wrong. I love my Mac. I will never buy a Windows Machine again. I'm just trying to get used to some the new ways on OS X.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2006, 02:35 PM

OS X is self-maintaining. There's nothing you need to do manually.

With regard to uninstalling read the following thread:

http://forums.macnn.com/82/applicati...-applications/

aepple
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2006, 04:35 PM

Once in a while or if your Mac runs kind of sluggish, go to apps, go to and click utilities, then click disk utilities, in the left column click to highlight the title with the size of your hard drive, on the bottom right click on VERIFY DISK, disk utility will scan your hard drive to make sure your files are correct, if any aren't and the results show a problem, click on REPAIR DISK PERMISSIONS... these scans take a little time (5-20 mins) so be patient.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2006, 08:48 PM

u can also run something like this ;

runs maintainance scripts, clears caches, has some great 'extra' features...and is free. great app!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

sc_markt
Forum Regular
Nov 4, 2006, 11:17 PM

I think if you leave your computer on overnight, OSX automatically runs its own maintenance cleaning routines.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2006, 01:21 AM

Concerning maintenance scripts and when they run (and don't), people may wish to look at this page. I had a few misconceptions on that subject.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Sourbook
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2006, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Concerning maintenance scripts and when they run (and don't), people may wish to look at this page. I had a few misconceptions on that subject.
Excellent information. Thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules