Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What kind of cell phone design should the iPhone be?

View Poll Results: What kind of style should the iPhone be?
Poll Options:
Flip phone 4 votes (6.56%)
Slide phone 24 votes (39.34%)
Candybar phone 33 votes (54.10%)
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll
What kind of cell phone design should the iPhone be?
macintologist
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2007, 04:11 PM

Flip phone,

"slide phone"

or candybar?

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2007, 04:27 PM

Anything but a flipphone or swirlphone or whatever. Just a plain "candybar" will do.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2007, 04:36 PM

Candybar, no camera, full keyboard

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2007, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
I sincerely doubt that setup. I would think you are right about the candybar but I think a camera (I'm sure they'll say "it's an iSight, built right into your phone!") is almost for sure: iChat, iPhoto, iWeb could all take advantage of a phone with a camera -- create webpages on the fly, etc. I strongly doubt the keyboard -- way too "busy" for an Apple design.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2007, 05:42 PM

Apple will go with a candybar design, since they are obsessed with symmetry.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2007, 05:47 PM

I'm gonna go with slide-phone, simply because that's what Kevin Rose's claims he saw.

For myself, anything but a flip-phone is fine.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2007, 06:36 PM

I reckon on a slide, with a ipod style Clickwheel on the front for ipod style function, access to/ringing people in the phone book, slide to reveal the full phone keypad for texting and full numeric entry.
Looking like a nano when closed but a bit thicker.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2007, 06:39 PM

I think flip phones are almost dead, but that's what I'd want. I hate the terds... err candybars.

Visnaut
Senior User
Jan 7, 2007, 06:43 PM

I would prefer a candybar phone if apple could pull off the interface right with a scroll wheel and standard numeric keys and predictive typing. The more moving parts, the more there is to break; especially with something as essential as a cellphone which you're likely to tote with you 24/7.

I wouldn't mind a slide-phone though, if that was their best solution to bring to the market. One strike against that form-factor though, is the difficulty in engineering cases for it. Considering the millions of dollars that are made each year through iPod cases, I'm sure Apple would keep that in mind in designing the phone.

I agree with Goldfinger though, definitely not a flip-phone or swirl-phone.

As for camera, as I mentioned in the other thread, I don't think it's necessary to have it built-in. Maybe as a dock connector accessory for those who really want something like that.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2007, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
I think flip phones are almost dead, but that's what I'd want. I hate the terds... err candybars.
Almost dead?! The RAZR has got to be one of the most popular phones on the market (if not the most popular). Whenever I see someone with a cell phone, it's almost always a flip-phone, and it's been that way even before the RAZR came out. The exceptions are people on budgets who went with the bare-bones Nokia candybars and the business types with their Blackberry or other brand PDA-phones.

The dislike of flip-phones seems to be solely isolated to the geekier corners of the Internet, such as this forum, and I'm absolutely mystified as to why. A flip-phone is the only kind of phone I would get, since my experience with iPods has shown me that having the screen exposed on the outside is a bad thing, and it means that screen will be all scratched to hell within one day of use, just from being in a jeans pocket with nothing else in it, if you don't put an ugly protective shell around it which doubles the thickness.

Where does the love for those huge, ugly brick candybar phones come from?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2007, 06:56 PM

RAZRs are the only new phones that I ever see that are flip. Every other high profile release I see is a freakin' slide or candybar.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2007, 07:10 PM

Go to phonescoop.com and look at the "New Phones" sidebar running down the right side. 10 are flip-phones, 4 are candybar phones (two of which are PDA phones for which that form factor actually makes sense), one is a slide phone, and the other one is the LG enV which is a weird hybrid between the candybar and flip-phone styles. And of those 10 flip-phones (11 if you count the enV), not one of them is even a RAZR.

High profile? Who cares? I'd venture a guess that the reason most "high-profile" phones tend to not be flips is because if they are, they get labeled as a "RAZR killer" or "RAZR clone" and end up doing about as well as the iPod killers. Fact is, the great majority of phones that people actually use are flip-phones, at least in the US. The average Joe won't even look at those "high-profile" phones, because they're usually way too expensive (except if it's a formerly high-profile phone like the original RAZR, in which case the price goes down and it gets popular). In fact, the average Joe won't even think those "high-profile" phones as a real option, because to the average consumer, quality is associated with flip phones. I used to use a cheap piece o' crap LG that barely worked and which I detested, and people would still say to me "ooh, that's a nice phone! It's a flip-phone!" And in my opinion, it even has some justification because flip phones, IMO, are a better form factor for a cell phone. Candybars are a pain, not only because of the screen on the outside, but also because you have to remember to lock the keypad or else you make accidental phone calls when the buttons get accidentally pressed and because crud always manages to get into the buttons making them really disgusting after a while. Then, of course, there's the "coolness" factor - flip-phones remind people of the communicators on Star Trek, while candybar phones remind people of clunky old phones from the late 80s.

It's true that the RAZR has devoured a good chunk of the flip-phone market, but still, just walk down the street, watch people talking on their cell phones, and see what kind of phone they're using. Chances are, it'll be either a flip or a PDA phone. I don't see how flip-phones could be "dead" when that's what almost everyone uses.
( Last edited by CharlesS; Jan 7, 2007 at 07:22 PM. )

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

amsalpemkcus
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2007, 07:41 PM

my vote is for slide phone.
will be waaay cool if an addon frame that converts all ipod nanos to also serve as a cellphone can be designed. (is this even possible?)

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2007, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
I sincerely doubt that setup.
Me too. But this thread is about what I want, not what I think Apple will do.
I think Apple will go with the twist kind; keeps the screen/wheel always available and adds a keypad when you need it.

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
The dislike of flip-phones seems to be solely isolated to the geekier corners of the Internet, such as this forum, and I'm absolutely mystified as to why. A flip-phone is the only kind of phone I would get, since my experience with iPods has shown me that having the screen exposed on the outside is a bad thing, and it means that screen will be all scratched to hell within one day of use, just from being in a jeans pocket with nothing else in it, if you don't put an ugly protective shell around it which doubles the thickness.
Flip phones feel flimsy to me. I'm always worried I'm going to break them just pressing them against my face; I'm sure I'm not, but that's what I feel like. Also, I know a lot of people who have broken their flip phone, usually due to dropping while open; my candybars have survived many droppings.

To protect the screen, use a holster. It doesn't take up any space in your pocket because it's not in your pocket. Or they could use one of the newer scratch coatings.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2007, 08:15 PM

To protect the screen, use a holster. It doesn't take up any space in your pocket because it's not in your pocket. Or they could use one of the newer scratch coatings.
Oh gosh, a holster? I might as well wear high water pants, thick rimmed glasses with tape on them, a multicolored beanie, and a pocket protector.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2007, 08:54 PM

Yeah, I like having my phone in my pocket. Sorry...

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2007, 09:12 PM

Exactly

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2007, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
Oh gosh, a holster? I might as well wear high water pants, thick rimmed glasses with tape on them, a multicolored beanie, and a pocket protector.
There are plenty of professional/stylish looking leather blackberry holsters.

But even the stock plastic holster won't turn you in to that kind of dork:

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2007, 09:31 PM

Sorry that still looks dorky.

Candybar all the way, flip phones are way too flimsy. And the keypad automatically locks, and unlocking becomes so ingrained in your muscle memory you don't even have to think about it.

I hate most slidephones too, but the newer models do seem more robust.

I absolutely despise RAZR for it's OS and keyboard. Mostly it's OS. Motorola just isn't a contender in the mobile phone market. How it got hold of the US market is just beyond me.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [♬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2007, 09:37 PM

Yes, I think the RAZR OS could be leaps and bounds better, and its the only cellphone I've ever used.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2007, 09:38 PM

I like the flip because it keeps my screen protected. I don't know about the rest of you, but my Moto e815 has been dropped, kicked, tossed in a bag, etc. and the screen still doesn't have a scratch on it.

That being said, Apple will go candybar or slide for the cool factor.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2007, 09:41 PM

There are plenty of professional/stylish looking leather blackberry holsters.

But even the stock plastic holster won't turn you in to that kind of dork:
Sorry, that screams dork... just like the old Palm holders do/did.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2007, 11:14 PM

When I got my current phone last year, I had to choose between the ROKR and the RAZR. The number-pad on the RAZR felt cheap, and the constant flipping open and closed would have driven me nuts.

Flip phones protect the screen? Do you have a flip-digital camera, too?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2007, 11:22 PM

No, but I don't carry a digital camera around everywhere I go either.

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
I absolutely despise RAZR for it's OS and keyboard. Mostly it's OS. Motorola just isn't a contender in the mobile phone market. How it got hold of the US market is just beyond me.
Here's a hint: They're the one cell company that understands flip-phones.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2007, 11:30 PM

I would settle for the iPhone simply being a real phone (which I'm increasingly having doubts that it will be).

However, if Apple does release a phone, I couldn't see Apple producing anything other than a candybar. Flips and sliders, by definition, go against Apple's simplicity rules.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2007, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Flip phones protect the screen? Do you have a flip-digital camera, too?
I keep my digicam in one of these:

Also have one for my iPod and PSP. Best, and cheapest, case I've ever found. Plus, it doubles as a screen cleaner! Unfortunately, it would be annoying to also use one for my cell phone.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2007, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
No, but I don't carry a digital camera around everywhere I go either.
I do. And my iPod and my Palm T5 and my ROKR. Plus my sunglasses and wallet and keys. I need a bandolier like Chewbacca to carry it all around.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2007, 12:13 AM

Or a male purse.

volcano
Senior User
Jan 8, 2007, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post
I like the flip because it keeps my screen protected. I don't know about the rest of you, but my Moto e815 has been dropped, kicked, tossed in a bag, etc. and the screen still doesn't have a scratch on it.

That being said, Apple will go candybar or slide for the cool factor.
I used to have that exact same phone.

It took quite a beating.

It still worked after I, uh, vomited on it while drunk one time.

It also survived a near-death plunge into that large watery abyss known as a toilet.

Sadly, the screen started to act up after the toilet incident (random screens of white or black, keypad would sometimes work, sometimes it wouldn't...) and after I found out that Verizon wouldn't replace it, I bought a new phone. But they replaced the one I vomited on! Mwhaha!

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2007, 12:39 AM

My vote went to the candybar form factor.

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2007, 04:52 AM

Here's the design they should use: http://cache.vzw.com/multimedia/mim/sam_n330/index.html

I own this phone, and its the coolest sliding phone ever. When it is down, its locked. The screen is protected.
When you use it, it has all of the benifits of a candybar phone. It is also more symetrical than a traditional sliding phone. On top of it all, IT JUST LOOKS GREAT!

(I get compliments all the time about how cool my phone looks, or how sweet it is when I make it pop up)>

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2007, 08:41 AM

That thing looks absolutely ridiculous. Far from symmetric, fat and bulky. In fact the buttons are even reminiscent of pants being hoisted too high.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [♬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

OreoCookie
Jan 8, 2007, 08:58 AM

I hate candybar-type phones. The screen estate is smaller and I have to deal with midget-sized keys.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2007, 09:21 AM

the iPhone is a voip phone..?
we don't have time to stop for gas

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2007, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
the iPhone is a voip phone..?
Yes, it is.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2007, 10:11 AM

I prefer slide phones vs flip and candy bars anyday. hmpf.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2007, 10:13 AM

Flip phones are very popular in the US (verizon doesn't seem to carry anything else), but I would not buy one today even if it was made by apple. My 3 year old nokia with 500 hours of calls on it does not have too many scratches, I don't keep it in a case, and the keypad locks after a predefined amount of time. I got a free moto flip/camera phone for tmobile and I hated it. Yea, I don't hit the numbers by accident, but instead I here the most godawful sound from those side buttons. Just rolling over them could change the phone from silent to loud. The screen was harder to read, the OS sucked, the camera was useless, even with an external antenna my nokia got better reception (even switching the SIMs so I was testing the same network. Really, I have nothing good to say about that phone. I bought an old used nokia from the marketplace here and never looked back.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2007, 10:31 AM

I just hope it will be a reasonably featured, stylish, voip capable GSM phone. Because that's what I need now

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2007, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
My 3 year old nokia with 500 hours of calls on it does not have too many scratches, I don't keep it in a case, and the keypad locks after a predefined amount of time.
I've seen a number of candybars and sliders that get carried around in pockets and don't get scratched. Why can't Apple use the same material for iPods that cell-phone manufacturers use for their screens?

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2007, 11:42 AM

Yup, I've never had a cell with a scratched screen. Of course I'm smart enough to keep keys in the other pocket...
Accidentally pushing buttons is a non issue.
There is no point in making a flip phone. Anything that slides or has hinges just wears out faster.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2007, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
I've seen a number of candybars and sliders that get carried around in pockets and don't get scratched. Why can't Apple use the same material for iPods that cell-phone manufacturers use for their screens?
I wish I knew. I often have one phone in each front pocket plus tons of keys and metal keychains. I keep my ipod mini in a clear hard case and it works fine. My phones aren't expensive and I care about call quality more than scratch resistance anyway.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2007, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Yes, it is.
But Apple's won't be...

-t

Spook E
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2007, 06:47 PM

This thing with a touch screen and better keyboard running OSX and having that nifty GPS stuff from the apple + google: blogging the globe rumour.

Yes Please!

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2007, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Spook E View Post

This thing with a touch screen and better keyboard running OSX and having that nifty GPS stuff from the apple + google: blogging the globe rumour.

Yes Please!
Nooooooooooooooo thank you.

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2007, 09:03 PM

Slider would make the most sense for an iPod phone. That way you get a full-sized iPod click wheel and a full-sized dialpad or thumb keyboard without making the phone freakin' huge or making the screen too small.
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

wolfen
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2007, 09:11 PM

Do you want forgiveness or respect?

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2007, 10:04 PM

Wait...was the point of that entire thing to see the tiny cell phone at the very end?

wolfen
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2007, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
Wait...was the point of that entire thing to see the tiny cell phone at the very end?
I doubt it. I think they meant it to be a comedy sketch.
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2007, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
That thing looks absolutely ridiculous. Far from symmetric, fat and bulky. In fact the buttons are even reminiscent of pants being hoisted too high.
I used it as an example because of the sliding motion- very different from traditional sliding phones. But yes, any phone I buy from here on out will be slimmer than my current phone.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by Miniryu View Post
Here's the design they should use: http://cache.vzw.com/multimedia/mim/sam_n330/index.html

I own this phone, and its the coolest sliding phone ever. When it is down, its locked. The screen is protected.
When you use it, it has all of the benifits of a candybar phone. It is also more symetrical than a traditional sliding phone. On top of it all, IT JUST LOOKS GREAT!

(I get compliments all the time about how cool my phone looks, or how sweet it is when I make it pop up)>
That is easily one of the ugliest phones I have seen.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Forum Links
Forum Rules