Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > App icons in menu bar?

App icons in menu bar?
MacPC
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2007, 04:04 AM

I am not sure if this is my imagination or not, I thought I remember seeing something like this: a collection or app icons in the menu bar, is there such a thing? It will be really nice if when tere sre 5 or 6 apps open covering each other, I can just clike on the icon and bring the app to the front.

MacPC.

onlyone-jc
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 16, 2007, 05:40 AM

I'm pretty sure Panther had this, but it was merely collating what was already displayed in the dock.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2007, 06:25 AM

I don't think Panther could do that, but I know something that can. Go and download Butler. It's freeware.

Then you can configure it to do many, many things (iTunes control, app launching, keystrokes etc.). But what you want is to put the 'Running Applications' option in the section of the prefs to show it in the menubar. If you can't get it to work, just ask again and I'll give you more complete instructions.

onlyone-jc
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 16, 2007, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by monkeybrain View Post
I don't think Panther could do that
Sorry. I just re-read, and I think what was in Panther (and OS 9 as well, if I'm thinking right) was simply a one button menu in the menu bar that displayed all of your open applications, a lot like OPTION+TAB.

MacPC  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2007, 04:19 PM

Hey,

Thanks for the tip. This Butler works great! I always think it was a waste of desktop space with most of the menubar left unused.

And how dumb of me, I totally forgot about the option-tab feature.

MacPC.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2007, 04:50 PM

No version of Mac OS X has had an application switcher in the menu bar. Only Mac OS 8 and 9 had it.
Vandelay Industries

sc_markt
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2007, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by MacPC View Post
I am not sure if this is my imagination or not, I thought I remember seeing something like this: a collection or app icons in the menu bar, is there such a thing? It will be really nice if when tere sre 5 or 6 apps open covering each other, I can just clike on the icon and bring the app to the front.

MacPC.
Butler puts open app icons in the menubar.

However, an even better app that does this (which is for classic only) is called taskmenubar. The reason its better (in the class of app icons in the menubar) is that if you double clicked on one of the apps, it brings that app to the front AND hides all other apps at the same time. If you click an icon once, you get that app (which I believe Buter does). Taskmenubar also highlighted the open app so it made it really easy to see what app you were in and switch or switch-hide between them all with using just one hand.

I find it hard to believe that there is not something for OS X that does this today. Butler is a step in the right direction though...

- Mark

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2007, 04:20 PM

I think you might will like this one better:

ASM

Forum Links
Forum Rules