Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > I have WWDC Leopard... feel free to ask questions...

I have WWDC Leopard... feel free to ask questions... (Page 3)
JellyBeen
Senior User
Jun 27, 2007, 09:12 AM

[QUOTE=monkeybrain;3415085]Wow, amazed they have added new options to column view (but no auto resizing or better way to display long file names is crazy in my opinion).

I thought I was the only one that thought it was unacceptable. I'm glad to see someone noticed it too.
20"iMac intel 2.66 Duo: 4GB RAM : OS 10.6.6

PaperNotes
Jun 27, 2007, 09:37 AM

Yes the new column view options and QuickLook are quite pr0n friendly

Appearance settings don't work yet. If you choose graphite you still get blue progress bars and menu highlights.

AND for chrissake's that dreaded plain white copy progress window has returned. So much for consistent theme. I count 4 themes so far. 1) Unified Aqua 2) Translucent menu bar 3) black semi-transparent HUD 4) plain white copy file window.

shinykaro
Forum Regular
Jun 27, 2007, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst View Post
I've heard reports that iChat now natively supports GTalk, without having to muddle around with Jabber. Can you confirm or deny?
I'd like to know that as well, Google doesn't have a native Mac client for GTalk.

Have you noticed any changes to iLife apps or are they not included with this build? Or would it be pointless to look for Leopard-related changes anyway?

PaperNotes
Jun 27, 2007, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by shinykaro View Post
I'd like to know that as well, Google doesn't have a native Mac client for GTalk.
Yes it supports GTalk. When you launch iChat you choose which service you want. GTalk is listed separate from Jabber. Setting up Mail.app is the same. Just type in your Gmail account and password and Mail sets up POP and SMTP on its own.

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2007, 10:53 AM

i did also notice that there was really no consistant theme. is there a way to change it though?
has anyone other than me ditched OS X 10.4.10 on their main machine to run Leopard only?

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2007, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by PaperNotes View Post
-Can't find an option to disable menu bar translucency. It is really ugly if you use a wallpaper with a pattern. Do you think a menu bar should ever have to be punished this way . . .

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/1541/picture2on3.png

Where's the alleged setting to turn translucency off?
No such preference existed in latest build despite the claim however you can download this little app (Non-Transparent Menu Bar) to put a white menubar behind the transparency menu. Not the best but better than nothing.

I've done some modifications to latest build such as transparent menu extras (no white color in them) and straight gloss dock (I really can't stand the curvy gloss.) Preview:

Menu Extras without white color

Straight Gloss Dock

Get it from here Temporary Graphic Improvements for Leopard build 9A466

I will do several more modifications later but so far I'm unable to find the resource for menu bar background graphic. I think it's hardcoded.

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2007, 11:23 AM

exactly how did you make these changes?
i am trying to learn new stuff... thanks...

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 27, 2007, 11:26 AM

I like big icons too, but the shadows in PaperNotes's screenshot are horrible. Hey Apple, keep the reflections but lose the shadows!

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2007, 11:29 AM

the shadows are a bit odd...
but i did not really notice them until people pointed them out.

PaperNotes
Jun 27, 2007, 11:32 AM

Thanks Adam. Any way we can get a shiny black Dock? I can edit the scruve.png to make it two tone dark but when I save it to the Resource directory and restart the Dock, the Dock is dark but there are no reflections.

( Last edited by PaperNotes; Jun 27, 2007 at 11:52 AM. )

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2007, 12:07 PM

pretty cool.

PaperNotes
Jun 27, 2007, 12:37 PM

YIPEE!

Just had to maintain transparency in the png. How weird that Apple is rendering the reflections under the Dock and not on it.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2007, 12:44 PM

How do labels look in Leopard? Does the preview in column view show the tint of the label somewhere?

PaperNotes
Jun 27, 2007, 12:54 PM

Labels hasn't changed. Nothing in the Preview column or QuickLook. Wait for Unsanity to update Labels X.

PaperNotes
Jun 27, 2007, 12:55 PM

Labels hasn't changed. Nothing in the Preview column or QuickLook. Wait for Unsanity to update Labels X.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2007, 02:46 PM

Two quick observations. The transparent menubar is a disaster, if you use a 'detailed' image it's virtually impossible to see the menu titles (will post a shot of the top left of mine, Papernotes' shot looks easily legible compared to mine).
Disapointed that the 'Stacks' in the Dock aren't drag/drop aware (if you click in the Finder they close). They act the same as 'right clicking' a folder in Tiger's Dock, people hoping for something similar to OS9's Popup windows will be disappointed. It's quite cool the way that they display differently if you have loads of items in the folder/stack though.
OOOH! the 'section screen shot' (the one that's from 'Apple+Shift+4') shows the dimensions of the section to be shot.

( Last edited by Mediaman_12; Jun 27, 2007 at 04:54 PM. )

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2007, 06:38 PM

I have a question about Front Row. When you launch it, the original version has a cool animation of the four "applications" swirling up from the bottom as the desktop shrinks and fades away. What does the new animation look like?

Has the Chess program received any improvements?

Have Input Managers been disabled?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2007, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
I have a question about Front Row. When you launch it, the original version has a cool animation of the four "applications" swirling up from the bottom as the desktop shrinks and fades away. What does the new animation look like?
Nothing. There is only fade to black and fade up. Very disappointing

Has the Chess program received any improvements?
Not as far as I can tell. It's at version 2.3.

Have Input Managers been disabled?
I shall investigate.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2007, 06:50 PM

kilechki
Forum Regular
Jun 27, 2007, 07:03 PM

What changed in the new spotlight window? Does it have a toolbar? Can you access it with an icon in the dock? Can you have multiple spotlight windows opened? What about this new 'launcher' ability of spotlight? Typing "Sf" in spotlight will show "Safari" in the results (like in quicksilver)?

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2007, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by kilechki View Post
What changed in the new spotlight window? Does it have a toolbar?
Yes, The 'spotlight' results window is now essentially a regular Finder window with a few additions, a 'search' bit above the results, and the path to the selected item at the bottom.
Can you access it with an icon in the dock?
???
Can you have multiple spotlight windows opened?
Just tried, apparently not, the new results window replaces the old.
What about this new 'launcher' ability of spotlight? Typing "Sf" in spotlight will show "Safari" in the results (like in quicksilver)?[/QUOTE]
No typing Sf, doesn't show Safari (this would be odd behaviour IMHO, as the word Safari doesn't contain the string Sf), Sa however does really quickly.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2007, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
I can't find a way to enable Plugin Managers. Apparently this screenshot is from an earlier build (hence the pinstripes).

Anyone got any insight? I really miss SAFT and Inquisitor.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2007, 07:50 PM

No typing Sf, doesn't show Safari (this would be odd behaviour IMHO, as the word Safari doesn't contain the string Sf), Sa however does really quickly.
Typing sf indeed shows Safari, but not as the top hit. Typing Sa shows Safari as the top hit.

Edit: Never mind, it was a bug that showed results from "s". The next search did not display this behaviour.

sc_markt
Forum Regular
Jun 27, 2007, 09:10 PM

Can you shade just the folders like you could in classic OS?
Can you change the label colors?
If you double-click on an icon of an opened app in the dock, does it hide all other apps while bringing that app to the front?

Is the finder faster?

- Mark

sc_markt
Forum Regular
Jun 27, 2007, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Macola View Post
Does iCal (finally) support recurring tasks (to-dos)?
While in iCal month view, can you color the background of a particular day? Whenever I print out a month calander, there are always a few days that are important and I want those days to stand out with a differenet background color other than white.

- Mark

sc_markt
Forum Regular
Jun 27, 2007, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
Looks fine to me in Leopard.
Is it easier to read and see than the one in 10.4? All that is needed are some larger ticks and hands.
( Last edited by sc_markt; Jun 27, 2007 at 09:35 PM. )

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2007, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post
If you double-click on an icon of an opened app in the dock, does it hide all other apps while bringing that app to the front?
Why on earth would you ask that?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

sc_markt
Forum Regular
Jun 27, 2007, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Why on earth would you ask that?
It's easier than using the key shortcuts or pulling down the menu and aiming for the "hide others" option. We already single-click on an open app in the dock to bring that app up (some of us do anyway) so why not one more click to bring that app AND hide all others?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2007, 09:37 PM

It's easier than using the key shortcuts or pulling down the menu and aiming for the "hide others" option. We already single-click on an open app in the dock to bring that app up (some of us do anyway) so why not one more click to bring that app AND hide all others?
I don't find holding option when I click to be terribly burdensome, and I think that behavior would get invoked unintentionally a lot and freak people out.
Chuck
___

sc_markt
Forum Regular
Jun 27, 2007, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I don't find holding option when I click to be terribly burdensome, and I think that behavior would get invoked unintentionally a lot and freak people out.
Your right that it's not that burdensome but my way, you only need to use one hand.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2007, 10:58 PM

Can you shade just the folders like you could in classic OS?
No.

Can you change the label colors?
No.

No, you still have to [OPTION] click.

Is the finder faster?
IMO, yes.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2007, 10:59 PM

Is it easier to read and see than the one in 10.4? All that is needed are some larger ticks and hands.
No different than Tiger from what I can tell. No ticks and the hands don't appear larger. Do people actually use the Analog clock?

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2007, 11:06 PM

is anyone using Leopard as their main OS on their main machine?
if so any notable quirjs and or issues?
i am running it on my main mac. currently very happy.

MartiNZ
Senior User
Jun 27, 2007, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
No different than Tiger from what I can tell. No ticks and the hands don't appear larger. Do people actually use the Analog clock?
I use it, with ticks and recentering courtesy of posts at macosxhints.com. Even with those, it's easy enough to misread it at that size, and I have the world clock widget up in that corner in dashboard if I ever need to make sure . The analogue clock is a nice space-saver on a 12".

sc_markt
Forum Regular
Jun 27, 2007, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by MartiNZ View Post
I use it, with ticks and recentering courtesy of posts at macosxhints.com. Even with those, it's easy enough to misread it at that size, and I have the world clock widget up in that corner in dashboard if I ever need to make sure . The analogue clock is a nice space-saver on a 12".
I gave up on the analog menubar clock and use the clock.app. It works fine when you put it in the dock, just got to make sure the dock isn't too small.

dice
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2007, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by Mediaman_12 View Post
Two quick observations. The transparent menubar is a disaster, if you use a 'detailed' image it's virtually impossible to see the menu titles (will post a shot of the top left of mine, Papernotes' shot looks easily legible compared to mine).

To get around the transparent problem could you just modify your background image to contain a white bar the same size as the menubar? An unnecessary pain and hopefully there will be an official way to turn the transparency on and off...
sheesh, that took 8 hours for me to be asked to change my sig...

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2007, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by PaperNotes View Post
YIPEE!

Just had to maintain transparency in the png. How weird that Apple is rendering the reflections under the Dock and not on it.

That is very cool, I can see some serious dock mods in the future.
( Last edited by moonmonkey; Jun 28, 2007 at 07:12 AM. )

PaperNotes
Jun 28, 2007, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
That is very cool, I can see some serious dock mods in the future.
Can you post a shot of the PNG that you need to modify (don't post the actual PNG or we will get in trouble).
It's called scruve.png in Dock.app/Resources/

Make a back up copy and then open another copy in Photoshop. It's a semi transparent image. using the brightness and contrast control, drop the brightness down to nothing two times. That's the maximum it can be reduced. Save it out to a png24 with transparency preserved otherwise you won't be able to see the reflections that Leopard renders under the Dock.

Save and copy it to Dock.app/Resources. Fix permissions with Disk Utility. Kill the Dock in Terminal to restart it. Voila.

You can give the Dock any texture you want this way. Silly thing is that Leopard doesn't use the same background image for a Dock pinned to the left or right of the screen so you will have to edit the images for those too if you like to move the Dock around. It should also be possible to create a new indicator to go under icons of apps that are open. We can bring triangles back or improve the glowing light Leopard uses. Or make glowing triangles!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2007, 12:16 PM

Your right that it's not that burdensome but my way, you only need to use one hand.
No, it means you need to use TWO hands for NORMAL behavior, which is by far more desirable, seeing as drag-and-drop is the foundation of the user interface, and that only works when you see both source and destination by default.

Welcome to Macintosh. You must be new here.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2007, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mediaman_12 View Post
Something else that this shows is a very odd toolbar behaviour in MS Messenger. Although it uses custom 'in app' icons for the toolbar items, they are rendered as default document icons.
The current Messenger fails to be able to login to the MS network also, but they have plenty time to release another in time for the public release.

sc_markt
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2007, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
No, it means you need to use TWO hands for NORMAL behavior, which is by far more desirable, seeing as drag-and-drop is the foundation of the user interface, and that only works when you see both source and destination by default.
Since when is it 'NORMAL' to do something with more effort?

Welcome to Macintosh. You must be new here.
Been a mac user since the '90's.

I got spoiled with Taskmenubar for classic OS. One of the best classic shareware apps I ever used... It put a mini dock in the menubar and you only needed one hand to bring your app to the front or bring your app to the front while hiding others.

- Mark

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2007, 05:23 PM

Yes, but I see no reason why this particular action out of all the things in the system should be optimized to have a very common Dock shortcut just so it can be done quickly with one hand. Using two hands isn't a lot of work, and if for some reason you just can't use the other hand, your one hand can still manually hide the app. I don't see why the only-able-to-use-one-hand-and-need-an-uncommon-action scenario should be given such an extremely common shortcut.
( Last edited by Chuckit; Jun 28, 2007 at 05:48 PM. )
Chuck
___

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2007, 05:27 PM

Since when is it 'NORMAL' to do something with more effort?
My point exactly.

OreoCookie
Jun 28, 2007, 05:57 PM

If you use a multi-button mouse, it's just one click with one hand, too. If you prefer shortcuts, it's Option + Apple + H to hide all other apps.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

sc_markt
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2007, 10:45 PM

My point exactly.
How is using two hands less effor than using one?

todd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2007, 12:06 AM

I have seen a lot of rumors on DVD Player.app improvements. Can you confirm/deny a few of them?

- HD-DVD / Blue-Ray support (options in preferences dealing with both types).
- De-Interlacing options in preferences (choose between different levels of de-interlacing.. one of the weaknesses in old dvd player.app)

And, related.. It is rumored that Front Row will play DVD VIDEO_TS directories form the hard drive, as long as they are in a ".dvdmedia" directory.

OreoCookie
Jun 29, 2007, 12:32 AM

Actually, if you use a mobile Mac, you can do it with one hand (that's what I do). With a multi-button mouse, you also only need one … 
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

SomeToast
Senior User
Jun 29, 2007, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Betts View Post
Menu Extras without white color
Though to be honest, that's the least of the menu bar's problems.  

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2007, 06:12 AM

WHICH IS WHY STANDARD CLICK NEEDS TO BE RESERVED FOR THE DESIRABLE BEHAVIOR WHICH DOES NOT HIDE OTHER PROGRAMS, with Option-Click applying to the optional, non-default behavior of hiding background apps.

Sorry if I wasn't being crystal-clear above.

zro
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2007, 10:15 AM

In Mail.app is it finally possible to turn off inline attachments? I despise this "feature."

Must you access a calDAV server to use the collaborative feature in iCal, or will it work with webDAV?

Forum Links
Forum Rules