Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Defective Screen

Defective Screen
komrade krunky
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2001, 03:42 PM

Got my new dual usb iBook this week and I'm more or less diggin' it but the screen appears to be defective. You know the way an active matrix screen flutters if you accidentally touch the screen? Well, the same type of fluttering is going on at the top and bottom righthand corners in response to any type of movement--typing, vibration anything. Has anyone else gotten one with this problem? I suspect the torq screws may be the culprit as the areas involved correspond to their placement. Called apple and they put me through usual several day wait before someone will authorize sending it back. Waited 4 weeks for this and now will have to wait another couple of weeks at minimum.

Other remarks: 1028 resolution is just too hard to read, keep mine at 800 x 600 and font aliasing is a little blurry. Lots of screen glare--have to use pc gamma and now stuff is readable but a more contrasty than I'd like.

Wish I'd have waited until different colors came out. White is for toasters and washing machines!

geek77
Jun 3, 2001, 08:52 PM

1) I get that problem too, but only if I tap the side of the ibook, or bang it around a little, it does NOT happen while typing or any other normal use, maybe yours is defective.

2) I can't imagine 1024 being too small, but hey, it's your opinion. You should have tested one out before you shelled out the cash, 800x600 looks like poop. The whole screen looks like someone smeared vasoline on it.

3. Screen glare would probably be determined by your surroundings and not the ibook's resolution.

<rr>
Jun 4, 2001, 01:12 AM

There appears to be some vertical lines on my screen. Actually not lines but the color hue changes slightly as I go across this line. There are about 4 such lines. At one place it becomes dark and at another it becomes lighter.

This is my very first laptop/LCD screen so I'm not sure if this is normal.
Should I call up Apple? Today was the first time I noticed the lines.

- rr

klee6150
Forum Regular
Jun 4, 2001, 01:22 AM

Definitely NOT normal

Call APPLE.

<rr>
Jun 4, 2001, 01:32 AM

klee6150 -

thanks. this is a bummer.

rr

DamnDJ
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 4, 2001, 02:18 AM

I am having the same issue as you are having. I've only noticed it when I open the lid of th iBook. The bottom right-hand corner will "flutter" while the lid is still wobbling a litte.

Now that I am looking at it while I type, it's doing the same thing. I'm sure it's due to the fact that the screen is shaking a little while i type.

Oh well. It's not a big issue to me. It's far enough down on the screen where I don't notice it while, for instance, I'm typing this.

At least I don't have any dead/stuck pixels.
DDJ

BTW, I find the screen to be awesome. It looks better if you are looking up at it, rather than head on, but it looks fantastic. I love this thing.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by komrade krunky:
[QB]Got my new dual usb iBook this week and I'm more or less diggin' it but the screen appears to be defective. You know the way an active matrix screen flutters if you accidentally touch the screen? Well, the same type of fluttering is going on at the top and bottom righthand corners in response to any type of movement--typing, vibration anything. Has anyone else gotten one with this problem? \

[ 06-04-2001: Message edited by: DamnDJ ]

apple scruffs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 4, 2001, 03:49 AM

I was in the Apple Store in Glendale today and asked a Mac genius there about that screen flutter. He said that it is on all the iBooks and it is normal. Not to worry about it. I have it too. I had in on my old Rev A iBook too.

LeonThePro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 4, 2001, 10:58 AM

I got my IceBook last 02June. This is also my first laptop. I am concerned about seeing 2 dead pixels. At first I thought they were dirt, but I kept on wiping them to discover they would not go away. They look like some stuck color. One is dark (grey) and the other is bright (red).

Should I be concerned about this? It is not annoying me, yet. But I wanted a perfect screen. How many dead pixels should there be before Apple takes them back for replacement?

Furthermore, there is a protective sheet between the keyboard and the screen. I always put this back when I close the iBook. Anyone does this or should I discard it already? I read somewhere that people are selling cloths just to have this kind of layer between the two.

DamnDJ
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 4, 2001, 07:09 PM

Having two dead pixels is "normal" by Apple standard. Try searching these forums for "dead pixel". You will find a lot of good information on this subject, including ways to (maybe) fix them (Gently rubbing them).

Hope you can unstick em.
DDJ

Originally posted by LeonThePro:
<STRONG>I got my IceBook last 02June. This is also my first laptop. I am concerned about seeing 2 dead pixels. At first I thought they were dirt, but I kept on wiping them to discover they would not go away. They look like some stuck color. One is dark (grey) and the other is bright (red).

Should I be concerned about this? It is not annoying me, yet. But I wanted a perfect screen. How many dead pixels should there be before Apple takes them back for replacement?

Furthermore, there is a protective sheet between the keyboard and the screen. I always put this back when I close the iBook. Anyone does this or should I discard it already? I read somewhere that people are selling cloths just to have this kind of layer between the two.</STRONG>

Forum Links
Forum Rules