Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook order status thread

iBook order status thread (Page 4)
wustlmousa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2001, 05:52 PM

>BrunoBruin

Thanks about ClubMac info!
I just ordered iBook with DVD. It was only 2 left when I called.
I got the ONE. THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

I checked the site this morning, it didn't say "in stock". So, I didn't to know
update info until seeing your comment.
Anyway, I will receive it this week!!!

Another thing, if you order iBook to ClubMac (or maybe at other mail order
reseller), please think this way.
iBook DVD with instant rebate ($45) :1495-45 =$1450
PBS 256Mb RAM : $99
Total = $1549

iBook DVD with 128Mb Free RAM (Installation Fee $30) : 1495+30=$1525
Total = $1525

So, if you pay only $24 more, you can get total 384Mb RAM instead of 252Mb.
Just you need to do is install it by yourself.

What do you think?

Mark N
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2001, 06:09 PM

I just called Club Mac and switch my order from the CDRW to the DVD model. I've got a firewire burner anyway. They quoted June 11 as the date for the CDRW. Now if I get OS X with it, that would be cool. I should at least be able to get the Mac OS up-to-date.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
May 21, 2001, 06:28 PM

BrunoBruin

Thanks about ClubMac info!
I just ordered iBook with DVD. It was only 2 left when I called.
I got the ONE. THANK YOU, THANK YOU!
No problem at all. They just better have shipped MINE before they gave YOU one!

I'm gonna call them tonight.
"I'm an award-winning creative, the rules of society no longer apply to me."

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
May 21, 2001, 06:37 PM

Just got off the horn with ClubMac (it rang about 20 times before someone answered -- think they're getting many anxious calls?). My iBook is shipping today!

If OS X is in the box as well I will forgive Apple everything, including unveiling the PowerPC chip a month after I bought a new 68030 desktop.

bikinijack
May 21, 2001, 06:50 PM

I just don't get it. I ordered my iBook CDRW 192 MB mem 20 GB HD on May 2 from the Apple Store, yet I am reading where people are getting theirs from retailers...Does anyone know when these things will finally ship from the Apple Store as I have to go somewhere in two weeks and will need that little puppy.

sparks66
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2001, 06:53 PM

Just got off the phone with Apple. My Combo ordered 5/1/01 has not shipped but "it will ship within the 5 weeks" according to them.

also...OS X will definately be installed!!!

Now I need to order that 256MB RAM...

MojoRising022
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2001, 06:54 PM

I was fortunate enough to call ClubMac while they still had a few DVD iBooks in stock and if all things go according to plan, it will ship today!!!!

I also called Apple, canceled my CD-RW order, and told them to kiss my a$$. I have had enough of them. Fool me once, shame on you...fool me twice, shame on me. They have consistently made a nightmare of ordering new hardware from them and this was the very last time I will do so.

I am thrilled and scared at the same time (they had 6 when I called and I am EXTREMELY jaded following my experience with the Apple Store...I have a bad feeling they oversold)...time will tell.

Professor X
Forum Regular
May 21, 2001, 06:58 PM

Ordered mine from club mac last Thursday, it shipped... Wednesday can't come soon enough!!!

------------------
We are the Music
Makers... We are the
dreamers of dreams....
-Willy Wonka
icebook 500/DVD 9500 200

www.macanonymous.com

hotani
Senior User
May 21, 2001, 07:40 PM

well, it is now in my grubby little hands...

I told a local reseller to give me a call if a DVD iceBook came in and today I got the call!! I cancelled my order for the iBook with apple, and went to pick it up. already have osx on there, my 256 RAM chip, and am slowly getting everything back in order...

However, I am still waiting on apple to ship me my a/v cable...

------------------
iceBook DVD 384
Darwin 1.3/OS X 10.0.1/OS 9.1
download free hotani web template
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

brooklynjoe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2001, 07:48 PM

Ordered my iBook (CD only) on May 1 from MacMall. Just got the call - it's on the way. I'll have it tomorrow!

jblakeh1
Senior User
May 21, 2001, 08:10 PM

Just got off the phone with Apple. My Combo ordered 5/1/01 has not shipped but "it will ship within the 5 weeks" according to them.
Man, this is frustrating... is wild9 still around? If so, did it arrive yet? Has anyone actually got a combo yet?

------------------
.b
http://homepage.mac.com/jblakeh1
http://www.sit3.com

Ocean West
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2001, 09:10 PM

Ordered on 5/10 I got a call from the Apple Store and asked if I orderd, told them I just did. They asked if I or someone in my family was in school I said yes. I canceled my first order and re-ordered this.

IBOOK 500/WHT/128/20G/DVD-CDRW/LL Z03K00T00 $ 1,943.00
White 065-2473
128MB SDRAM 065-2818
20GB Ultra ATA drive 065-2862
DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo 065-2688
No AirPort Card 065-2471
------------------------------------------------------------------------
BNDL COLLEGE BOUND W/PC100 SODIMM-USA B5467LL/A $ 199.00
EPSON STYLUS COLOR 777I-USA T2876LL/A 1
APPLE MEMORY KIT 128MB PC100 SODIMM-USA M8488LL/A 1
DIAMOND RIO PMP 600 MP3 PLAYER-USA T2622LL/A 1
BELKIN USB A-B CBL 6FT-USA T2216LL/A 1
Shipping Charges $ 15.00
Subtotal $ 2,157.00
Sales Tax $ 160.66
Total $ 2,317.66

It's still being assembled....I am waiting on the edge of my seat!
I stopped by the local Fry's to get a fix.... Ahhhhhha.

PS Nystrom
May 21, 2001, 09:24 PM

My DVD iBook arrived today from the Apple Education Store. If you'd like to pass the time by watching me unpack it, look no further than here: http://homepage.mac.com/nystrom/iMovieTheater.html

While I'm not ecstatic about missing out on a free copy of OS X, it is fun doing everything else and in such a smaller amount of time than quoted by Apple.

Pieter

wild9
Forum Regular
May 21, 2001, 09:24 PM

jblakeh1,

Apple STILL hasn't shipped my Combo Drive, but they DID say it will go out Tuesday or Wednesday now..... I got that answer from two different people (first call was "why was my order canceled then remade?"; second was "Will OS X be installed?" Answers, "Package was switched to a NON BTO system and should ship soon" and "yes".)

Frustrating that it isn't here yet? Yes!

I swear I'll be the first Combo Drive user to post my experience and enthusiasm here!
Compulsive Software Update Button Clickers welcome!

jblakeh1
Senior User
May 21, 2001, 09:29 PM

Thanks, PS N! I'm jealous!

------------------
.b
http://homepage.mac.com/jblakeh1
http://www.sit3.com

Biscuit-like Substance
May 21, 2001, 09:58 PM

Smalldog will ship my DVD iBook tomorrow, after adding the extra RAM...they got a shipment today. Life has meaning once again. Can't wait to see it (but I will).

MacGroupie
May 21, 2001, 11:58 PM

Well I couldn't take it anymore... today I cancelled my order and had a friend in DC go to the new Apple store and get me an ibook ! it's on his house right now, I should have it by tomorrow... I had made an order 5/15 but it was just toooooo long to wait 5 weeks, and I had a long flight next week so it's nice to have it now...

BTW, my friend asked how many iBooks they had in stock at the McLean, VA store and the rep just said not to worry about that, which I guess would mean they have plenty... bought it today (5/21) so if anyone wants one get a friend in DC send it

cheers

pcp
May 22, 2001, 01:47 AM

i'm in the exact same situation,
i've ordered the combo drive on the first but nothing
is happening except for the fact that they've cancelled once.
it just piss me off to see all the people getting their ibooks
at the retail stores now...oh well

iBook2
Forum Regular
May 22, 2001, 06:22 AM

Has anyone received a bto iBook combo drive yet? From these boards it looks as Apple has yet to ship any.

NeoMacHack
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2001, 06:28 AM

I ordered my ibook on 5-1-01
*DVD
*20GB
got the college bound kit and an extra battery and the AV cable.
I have received the college bound kit and the second battery but I have no word on my laptop or the AV cable. Funny huh? I get my secondary battery before the laptop!
NeoMacHack
"BaDAss INC�"

prodigy1387
May 22, 2001, 07:07 AM

Should be getting my iBook sometime this week. Macmall is beginning to get iBooks in stock. I hope they get another shipment this week cause i ordered overnight and i'll get it right away! I am anxious...only wish i read this board yesterday, i would have ordered from clubmac...oh well, i'm still happy anyway!

geek77
May 22, 2001, 08:06 AM

Originally posted by NeoMacHack:
I ordered my ibook on 5-1-01
*DVD
*20GB
got the college bound kit and an extra battery and the AV cable.
I have received the college bound kit and the second battery but I have no word on my laptop or the AV cable. Funny huh? I get my secondary battery before the laptop!
I ordered the same thing, minus the college kit. I called Apple on Sunday to switch credit cards, and I asked the girl if she had any idea when it would be shipping. She said it would be closer to the 3 weeks than the 5, and that mine should be shipping "real soon" because I ordered it so early (5/1). I'm still hoping it ships today/tomorrow and I get it before the long weekend.

Mark N
Dedicated MacNNer
May 22, 2001, 09:13 AM

Not to disappoint (although I'm sure it might), I just called ClubMac. They told me that they had DVD iBooks in when I ordered yesterday. Today they said that it was backordered. Apparently they did oversell. They did say that they would be getting more in today. I guess I'll head on in to work.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
May 22, 2001, 09:51 AM

I have not yet received an e-mail confirming that my ClubMac order has shipped. If they've been sending out DVD iBooks and haven't shipped mine I will be beyond furious!!

phillyjim
May 22, 2001, 10:49 AM

Outpost just told me that they are getting about 70 iBooks in today, but I'm #75 on the list, so they said my order might not get covered in this shipment unless someone cancels their order! Yeah right! I don't think anyone is gonna cancel.

I ordered on May 11.

Mark N
Dedicated MacNNer
May 22, 2001, 11:37 AM

I just got a call from ClubMac (I had called them earlier), and they said that my iBook was shipping out right now (today). It will be here tomorrow.

Pcfly
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2001, 12:14 PM

Thanks for the outpost.com order status, I'm afraid to call because I've called just about everyday the last several days in a row and I think they hate me.

I ordered mine on May 2 and need that iBook before leaving for the east coast come early next week.

MojoRising022
Dedicated MacNNer
May 22, 2001, 12:14 PM

Ordered CD-RW model from Apple on May 1st...as of May 21st, hadn't shipped, hadn't talked to 2 customer service reps who gave me even remotely similar information about ship times, and canceled on the 21st when one rep promised me I would not see it until well into June.

Ordered a DVD model from ClubMac yesterday evening when they had some in stock...they promised overnight delivery, but apparntly they oversold by quite a bit and I got bumped. They couldn't tell me when they'd get more. Cancelled.

Ordered a DVD model from eLinux this morning. They had some in stock when I orderded, but not when my order processed....they can not tell me when they'll get more...so I don't get one from there either. Cancelled.

May 22nd....I give up...it was not meant to be. I'll spend my money elsewhere (or maybe save it)....maybe I'll buy a Dell....I can have a BTO model in delivered 2 days garaunteed. It appears God does not want me to have an iBook and I am truthfully sick to death over Apple's recent practices.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
May 22, 2001, 12:25 PM

Mojo, perhaps you were meant to wait two months and get an iBook after MWNY, when perchance you will have a choice of colors and after any manufacturing kinks have been worked out.

For the love of God, don't buy some Soviet-grade piece of dell crap. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

freebird
May 22, 2001, 12:32 PM

I too ordered from Outpost (May 2) and don't want to call them again either Hopefully I'll get a "it's shipped" email today.

Mojo, calm down. You'll get your iBook soon. When Apple announced the new iBooks, a 3-5 week ship date was also announced. That points to May 22 - June 5. yes, some people have been lucky and gotten theirs already, and yes, some of the Apple Store orders seemed to have been processed out of order. This is aggravating, but the product is in a ramp up stage. This is what happens when a new product is released and it does happen to other hardware companies as well (like Dell).

Most of us are excited and want instant gratification. If this is too much, don't preorder anything. Buy what is in stock that meets your needs or wait until the channels fill up. Even if Apple ramped up and started shipping before a product was announced, we'd still have the same initial problems. Why? Because a lot of people wait until the channel is full and the item is listed in stock before buying. We would not only be competing with each other, but with all of the other people who want an iBook but won't preprder.

wustlmousa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2001, 12:35 PM

>BrunoBruin

Did you check "order tracking" on the ClubMac website?
If you don't have password, call ClubMac and make it.
The order tracking will tell you whether your iBook was shipped or not.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
May 22, 2001, 12:49 PM

wustlmousa, thanks for the tip, but order tracking does not work for me since I used my Apple education account. For some reason they take us out of the system. And oddly, they won't supply tracking numbers, either. For "security reasons," they say, despite the fact that every other online reseller in the galaxy does it. You have to call them and ask you to track it for you.

I was a'scared to call them again so I e-mailed. Got a response back that said it was "shipped as of the 21st." I'd still feel better having gotten an e-mail when it did actually ship... MacZone sends an e-mail every time someone breathes near your order. "We've received it." "We're processing it." "We're about to ship it." "We've shipped it."

freebird
May 22, 2001, 01:07 PM

All right, I called Outpost anyway. The very unhelpful person could only tell me that they were expecting some iBooks early this week, but didn't know how many. According to this guy, they never know when they will come or how many. It's apparently all a surprise.

sanford
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2001, 01:07 PM

Well, my extra airport card for my Cube shipped last Monday. My extra iBook AC power adapter shipped today. Only thing left in my order is my iBook BTO CD-RW/20 gig/airport. Which is still holding...

Duoboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2001, 01:13 PM

CTO/BTO I get confused. I have word from the Apple store that nearly all custom built chiclets ordered on May first were shipped yesterday. More today, including some orders from the 2nd. They maintained that they are sending out custom orders on a first come/first served basis. I ordered on the 2nd, so I'll keep y'all posted.

------------------
kev spengel
purple monkey studios
oak park, IL
Kevin Spengel
Wheaton, IL

oexecbmug
Dedicated MacNNer
May 22, 2001, 01:14 PM

Spoke to the Sweet Apple contact to upgrade my drive to 20 but was told she could not get into order (she tried) and that the 256,10GB,AirPort,Combo - Ordered 5-10 will be shipped 5-29 certainly within the 3 to 5 weeks frame

sanford
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2001, 01:16 PM

That's potentially good news. I ordered on the 12th, but it means that BTO/CTO (whatever) are moving out the door in earnest now.

MaxMac
Forum Regular
May 22, 2001, 01:16 PM

Well, I recieved my Airport Card, and my combo is scheduled for the 6-7th, <<sigh>>. Tick...
Tock....
Tick...
Tock...
:-) :-(

------------------
I love deadlines. They make a whooshing sound as they pass by.
I love deadlines. They make a whooshing sound as they pass by.

rmcalhany
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2001, 01:20 PM

duoboy----i ordered may 1st a BTO w/ only a 20gb drive upgrade + dvd.

still shows up as not shipped. (being assembled)

i will never again order from apple

Robert

geek77
May 22, 2001, 01:34 PM

Originally posted by rmcalhany:
duoboy----i ordered may 1st a BTO w/ only a 20gb drive upgrade + dvd.

still shows up as not shipped. (being assembled)

i will never again order from apple

Robert
Why? They promised to deliver with 3-5 weeks. It has been exactly 3 weeks today. Did you assume that they weren't telling you the truth about ship times and that it would ship earlier? Just because some people got their's early, doesn;t change the fact that when you placed your order, the ship time was 3-5 weeks, and they are still well within theri promised time frame. I also ordered a DVD version (256/20) on the 1st. Hopefully it will ship soon. If it doesn't ship before mid-june, then I'll be pissed.

bikinidude
May 22, 2001, 01:59 PM

I ordered a cd-rw 20cb 192mb on 5/2 from the Apple Store. Have they shipped any cd-rw yet?????? I keep seeing the "well into June" quotes on this thread...Gulp.

prodigy1387
May 22, 2001, 02:06 PM

macmall is getting shipments every couple days. yesterday they got 60, today they get 40. these are DVD models. hopefully mine will ship this week!

Renny5
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2001, 02:09 PM

BTO vs CTO

In case anyone else was wondering...
BTOs (or built to order) are, according to an apple rep, the stock models that you could get off a retail store shelf and the CTOs (configure to order) are anything with a different config, such as a bigger hard drive or more RAM. I'm glad I finally got that cleared up cuz BTO sounds like a custom order to me.

What's driving me crazy while I wait for my iBook is that since part of my order shipped, I can't find out my iBook's status online - it just says "partially shipped."

phillyjim
May 22, 2001, 02:13 PM

yes...actually Outpost told me they are getting iBook shipments today and tomorrow...

sanford
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2001, 02:16 PM

My experience with the Apple Store status page is that things move directly from Being Assembled to Shipped, skipping the being prepped for shipment stage unless, as someone else posted here, they are part of a larger order all shipping out at the same time. So, if you're staring at the Partial Shipment icon, it means the rest of your order, the iBook in particular, is still in the Being Assembled stage.

jtc
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2001, 03:04 PM

Originally posted by geek77:
Why? They promised to deliver with 3-5 weeks. It has been exactly 3 weeks today. Did you assume that they weren't telling you the truth about ship times and that it would ship earlier? Just because some people got their's early, doesn't change the fact that when you placed your order, the ship time was 3-5 weeks, and they are still well within theri promised time frame.
I couldn't agree more. I can't believe so many people are complaining that they're not getting their iBooks before Apple said they would.

cygnet74
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2001, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by phillyjim:
yes...actually Outpost told me they are getting iBook shipments today and tomorrow...
I called Outpost.com today also and have slightlt more detailed info: What I was told was that DVD models are scheduled to arrive today and tomorrow and that the CDRW model was tentatively scheduled for this week or next week.

paddington6
May 22, 2001, 03:17 PM

Hey guys,
since I am leaving the country on the 30th, for two months, I got the feeling that I would not get my combo on time (ordered on the 2nd). Yesterday, s.o at apple told me that it should ship at the end of this week. Today, another guy told me that it was still 3 to 5 weeks. I got really pissed. I called CDW (IL), they have 400 DVD in stock!!(the guy swore that they were in stock). I bought one (should get it tomorrow)and cancelled my combo order (sadly). Let's rebel though against apple 's stupid and unprofessional policy, which is high priority to the apple stores, and low priority to the idiots who ordered 3 weeks ago: here is the customer relations phone number: 1.800.767.2775. I called, and expressed my anger towards apple. You guys should too.

Ambria (password@home)
May 22, 2001, 03:23 PM

If anyone is extremely anxious (like the people leaving the country) I would suggest a Apple reseller. They are getting them faster, some don't have tax (tax free states) and most will ship.

I cancelled my order with outpost and bought one from Power Mac Pac in Portland, OR ... it will be waiting for me on Thursday a 1000000% improvement over the information that outpost was giving me (over 200 backordered )

There is a listing of Apple Resellers on Apple's site under the "Where to Buy" link at the top of the main page.

RodriCO2000
Dedicated MacNNer
May 22, 2001, 03:37 PM

I had first ordered through Outpost becaus i thouhg the No tax deal was great but you end up being last receiving anything...... i am so glad I cancelled and ordered through the Apple store... I ordered my DVD iBook Stock model on May 9th and i got it Saturday the 19.. That was only 10 days after I had ordered!!!! Many people here are extremely mad at the Apple Store but you guys have little or no reason to be mad....... I mean they did quote a 3-5 weeks waiting time... I am sure they did this to avoid the delays that happened when the TiBook was anounced.... Some have shipped (Stock Models) and Most of you here have CTO/BTO orders and these always take longer......... I can understand why some of you are mad, hell i would be if I ordered my iBook the 1st and still dont have it but the Apple Store never lied to anyone about shipping time they did quote 3-5 weeks and we were all willing to wait....... I have no idea why my iBook shipped so fast But i am glad it did.... I love the Apple Store they are always the Best.. In my case anyway... Now, All I need is an A/V cable.... Thats quoted as a 3-5 week waiting, I wonder why.......

Anyways good luck to all you people who havent gotten your iBook it will come soon......

------------------
Be happy Be Cool Be Different, but be yourself...
Its not the fact that life is fact, but that life itself is a fact of the unknown....

Forum Links
Forum Rules