Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Sources 'not optimistic' about Google Maps iOS app

Sources 'not optimistic' about Google Maps iOS app
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Nov 5, 2012, 10:04 AM

Sources inside Google say they are "not optimistic" about the prospect of a Google Maps app being approved by Apple, The Guardian reports. An app is said to be in development and on track for completion by the end of the year, but the sources claim that plans will only move ahead in "the unlikely event" that Apple gives a Google Maps app a greenlight.

One of the sources is hopeful that the departure of Scott Forstall from Apple could improve Google's chances. Another, though, isn't putting any credit into the idea, based on industry politics and an expectation that Apple will want to save its reputation and "keep moving forward in an effort to make its obviously inferior product [iOS 6 Maps] better." iOS 6 is Apple's first mobile OS to drop Google content from mapping, which has led to complaints of inaccuracies, missing features, and/or badly-rendered graphics. The sources also point out that in a "Find maps for your iPhone" promotion at the App Store, none of the highlighted titles use the Google Maps API. One source says the feeling is that Apple intentionally left those titles out, since they would promote Google and a "superior product" at the same time as it wants people to move on and rely on iOS 6 Maps. The two parties are claimed to be in constant talks, however, even if the Google sources say they think Apple will never again build Google Maps into iOS.

ZinkDifferent
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2012, 11:16 AM

Really? Because Google Earth (same API) is still available in the App Store, as are a variety of other maps apps, all using the Google API, including several for Street View.

Sounds like just another bunch of lies from Google, to justify not doing their job. As usual.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2012, 12:09 PM

Simply means that Google does not intend to build to Apple's guidelines. No real surprise there. No way Google is honestly putting major resources into developing a non-compliant app.

For folks on 4s or later iPhones iOS6 Apple maps work very well. For driving Siri plus iOS6 rocks, and Google maps via the web is available as an alternative for folks who are not driving.

And there are many other third party apps like TomTom. Although I can see why Google wants presence on iDevices for its ads, frankly I do not see what value add Google has to offer to iOS6 users.

koolkid1976
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2012, 12:15 PM

"Google Sources" previously claimed that Google had submitted new Google Maps to Apple, which Apple did not approve. Eric Schmidt later stated that it was not completed or submitted to Apple.

gwhenning
Nov 5, 2012, 01:10 PM

A replacement app by the end of the year? What happened to the old app? Can't they simply re-publish that or was that app written by Apple and simply using Google as a back-end? Funny how the Youtube app was available a couple of days before IOS 6 was released.

wrenchy
Forum Regular
Nov 5, 2012, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by NewsPoster View Post
plans will only move ahead in "the unlikely event" that Apple gives a Google Maps app a greenlight.
Perhaps the Google Team knows something about those wankers in the app approval department. If the GMap app does not get a "Pass", blame Apple.

Zanziboy
Forum Regular
Nov 5, 2012, 06:14 PM

CNET takes a decidedly different view of the situation, here. I believe much of the UK's public is buying into the anti-Apple movement to be in solidarity with the UK court decision. I suppose to do otherwise would betray one's national pride. Apple, as well as many of its supporters, see the court decision as a bizarre sideshow. I am not sure that anyone really believes the loser in such a case would have to advertise for the winner. Very odd, indeed.

mojkarma
Nov 6, 2012, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
Although I can see why Google wants presence on iDevices for its ads, frankly I do not see what value add Google has to offer to iOS6 users.
Err,
a better and more complete map perhaps?

(I'm still wondering how difficult it is for some people to realize that there is life outside of the US...)

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2012, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by mojkarma View Post
Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
Although I can see why Google wants presence on iDevices for its ads, frankly I do not see what value add Google has to offer to iOS6 users.
Err,
a better and more complete map perhaps?
I forgot that part . After years of the lousy maps Google brought to the default Google Maps in iOS5 I forgot that Google has the capability to do a good job.

Indeed, Google could conceivably bring a maps app to iOS that is better than the web version of Google Maps already available. However if the crappy Google Maps in iOS5 were the best that Google was willing to license to Apple last year in return for default access to hundreds of millions of iOS users, it will surprise me if Google is suddenly now this year willing build a top quality (non-default) app that meets Apple's app requirements. Instead I expect Google to just pretend, and submit a non-compliant app just to claim they tried but were turned down.

The Google/Apple machinations are above my pay grade but are fascinating to watch. Personally ever since Google drove around and locationally databased our individual MAC addresses I try to avoid Google when possible. It amazes me how sheeplike fandroids wildly support a firm that unashamedly collected and geo-located our individual network addresses, and never even ask why or with whom Google is sharing that info.

mojkarma
Nov 7, 2012, 06:28 AM

It's dead simple. With google maps on iOS, my small town somewhere in Europe had a complete map with street names and so on. Even the satelite picture was detailed up to a point where I could clearly identify my house.
Now with Apples maps my town is just a point on a map.
Do you understand what I am talking about? It's not that there are errors on the map. There is no map. I can't use such a map. 10.000 habitans are a point on Apples map. No street. Nothing.
I don't care about fandroids and apple fans. I complain loudly where Apple produces complete crap. And the maps are one of them.
Feel free to disagree with me, but a bad map (in your opinion) is still better then none map.

Forum Links
Forum Rules