Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Pismo G4 Upgrade from PowerLogix

Pismo G4 Upgrade from PowerLogix
Bluebomber21XX
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 11, 2002, 05:13 PM

Well, it's been anounced guys. PowerLogix has come out with a 500 MHz G4 upgrade for Pismo users. It will be available next week for $500.

I know I'll be getting one =D
The online resource for Rockman & Forte!
http://www.bluebomber.com/

twong
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2002, 05:36 PM

Hey BlueBomber,

Do you have a link to the site announcing this upgrade? I am very interested in getting one.

I spoke to the PowerLogix rep who was at the OWC booth at MacWorld. She said they were working on one but they didn't know when it would be ready.

TW

justin.php
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2002, 06:11 PM

Great! I can't wait! But, where is the web page that says that? I can't find it anywhere...

Jansar
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2002, 06:39 PM

Shibby. I can't wait.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

C33
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 11, 2002, 06:45 PM

Originally posted by Bluebomber21XX:
<STRONG>Well, it's been anounced guys. PowerLogix has come out with a 500 MHz G4 upgrade for Pismo users. It will be available next week for $500.

I know I'll be getting one =D</STRONG>
Where'd you hear about this? i went to their site and there's no mention of it ... even in the News section which you'd think would have some blurb announcing the pismo upgrade.

Bluebomber21XX  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 11, 2002, 10:04 PM

Originally posted by C33:
<STRONG>

Where'd you hear about this? i went to their site and there's no mention of it ... even in the News section which you'd think would have some blurb announcing the pismo upgrade.</STRONG>
It's not on the site yet. I also talked to the PowerLogix rep from the OWC booth (I love those little twirly things they were giving out!) and the beans were spilled to me and three other people. It should be announced in about a week.

e: Spelling!

[ 01-11-2002: Message edited by: Bluebomber21XX ]

twong
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2002, 04:04 AM

Cool! I guess you got more out of the rep than I was able to. Got any more info, though? Is this supposed to be a replacement board that the PowerBook owner can install?

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2002, 05:58 AM

I would expect that it would just replace the processor daughtercard with RAM slots on it. It's the card that connects to the motherboard via the array of "ball" connectors.

silverghost
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2002, 06:54 AM

Hi i was kinda hoping for a 600 mhz, can someone speculate on the performance of this new upgrade. Oh yeah and 500 mhz for $500, id pay $500 for a 600 mhz not a 500 mhz. Oh well you cant win them all.

Hi sean well the upgrades here finally; and i dont now if id upgrade how 'bout you?

aloha

[ 01-12-2002: Message edited by: silverghost ]

[ 01-12-2002: Message edited by: silverghost ]
"In my madness my eyes are now open"

PeteWK
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 12, 2002, 11:20 PM

I think there are several problems that led to Powerlogix going with a 500 mhz chip as opposed to a 550 or 600. One is that the Pismo wasn't designed to handle too much heat. A Sonnet rep told me that while the TiBook was designed to be one giant heatsink, the Pismo has no such ability. The new, lower power G4s would help. But this leads us to the next problem. That is that Powerlogix is not the richest company out there. They are just plain struggling. Don't forget what happened to Newer Technologies, probably the best upgrade company ever. They just couldn't keep the cash flow going. Powerlogix has been taking chances and rushing products to market that Sonnet has told me they just won't do. The 500 mhz chip is rather cheap and so the profit margin is relatively high. Plus the spead gain for the majority of Pismo owners who only have G3 400s is enough to make them want the product. I know I'll be getting one.

PeteWK

silverghost
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 13, 2002, 08:25 AM

Does anybody now how much of a difference the G3 500 is to the G4 500? Thanks.

aloha

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2002, 11:48 AM

silverghost, all Altivec enabled applications will be faster, such as Adobe Photoshop, iTunes, iPhoto, etc. Also, if you use Mac OS X, it will be much faster as well.

PaleoJim
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2002, 12:16 PM

The Bluechip G3 & G4 for Wallstreets support the maximum RAM as specified by Apple, according to Powerlogix's description of the product. I wonder if this will be true with the Bluechip G4 for Pismo as well? I have 1 GB running in my Pismo right now, but Apple specifies that a Pismo will only take 512.

Well, IF a G4 upgrade will only handle 512 MB of RAM, I have two questions:

1) Can I use 1 512 RAM card (as opposed to 2 256 MB cards)?

2) Will a 500 mhz G4 with 512 MB be significanly better than my 400 mhz G3 with 1 GB of RAM?

Anyone have any idea?

SMacSteve
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2002, 12:47 AM

Originally posted by PaleoJim:
<STRONG>The Bluechip G3 & G4 for Wallstreets support the maximum RAM as specified by Apple, according to Powerlogix's description of the product. I wonder if this will be true with the Bluechip G4 for Pismo as well? I have 1 GB running in my Pismo right now, but Apple specifies that a Pismo will only take 512.

Well, IF a G4 upgrade will only handle 512 MB of RAM, I have two questions:

1) Can I use 1 512 RAM card (as opposed to 2 256 MB cards)?

2) Will a 500 mhz G4 with 512 MB be significanly better than my 400 mhz G3 with 1 GB of RAM?

Anyone have any idea?</STRONG>
I suppose that you'll be able to use the 1 gig just the same as before and have the same issues with using the more than supported ram as before (sleep and hot swaping the batteries).

SMacSteve
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2002, 12:50 AM

I'm also hopeful of a 550 or 650 G4 upgrade. Wouldn't this be the chip as it has lower power draw than the G4 400 & 500 in the earlier TiBook?

rjc3
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2002, 04:58 AM

Whoo-hoo! I can' wait for this. G4 and 2 batteries at a time? Count me in!

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2002, 05:07 AM

I'll believe it when I see it on their website.

You would be better off with a G4 at 500 megahertz and 512 megabytes of RAM. The 400-megahertz G3 is the bottleneck. I can't think of any task that would require the full gigabyte of memory you have on your Pismo.

I doubt you'll have to sacrifice the ability to support 1 gigabyte of memory if you upgrade. I think Powerlogix uses authentic, Apple-made daughtercards with a G4 soldered onto them for their upgrades.

Thanks for your concerm, "silverghost".

Personally, $500 is too much to spend on an aging computer like the Pismo. It's the best portable design I've seen in a long time. However, we're beginning to see it age. It just can't compete with G4 notebooks of today. I'll probably get a faster Ti when they are updated later this year.

650-megahertz G4's aren't viable. The TiBook at 500-megahertz already has a terrible heat dissipation problem. A 650-megahertz G4 would cause the Pismo to turn its already intrusive fan on more often. Plus, where would you get such a chip? Powerlogix isn't a big enough customer to justify ordering a production run from Motorola. They merely buy processors Apple's already expressed interest in.

travelbook
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2002, 08:58 AM

Yes, $500 feels a bit steep for a 500Mhz G4 upgrade, even when starting from a Pismo 400Mhz G3. But $500 for a 1Ghz G3 (FX?)-upgrade would be a different matter altogether.

SMacSteve
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2002, 12:43 PM

650-megahertz G4's aren't viable. The TiBook at 500-megahertz already has a terrible heat dissipation problem. A 650-megahertz G4 would cause the Pismo to turn its already intrusive fan on more often. Plus, where would you get such a chip? Powerlogix isn't a big enough customer to justify ordering a production run from Motorola. They merely buy processors Apple's already expressed interest in.

Isn't this the benefit of the newer chip? the lower power draw? If so then the heat shouldn't be a problem.

Unless there's a yield problem I'd think there would be enough chips avail. to justify a order from Mot.

ARK
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2002, 01:15 PM

I wouldnt mind seeing a faster than 500Mhz G3 being available. How about a 700Mhz G3 upgrade card for Pismo? I would be interested in a higher clock rate G3 than I would a G4. Might run cooler.
- Dual 1Ghz Quicksilver /w 1G RAM, GeForce4 Ti, 17" Studio Display, Soundsticks, 10.4.11
- iPhone 3G 16G Black
- 30Gig Video iPod

- MacBook Pro or iMac (soon hopefully)

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2002, 01:16 PM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
<STRONG>I'll believe it when I see it on their website.

You would be better off with a G4 at 500 megahertz and 512 megabytes of RAM. The 400-megahertz G3 is the bottleneck. I can't think of any task that would require the full gigabyte of memory you have on your Pismo.

I doubt you'll have to sacrifice the ability to support 1 gigabyte of memory if you upgrade. I think Powerlogix uses authentic, Apple-made daughtercards with a G4 soldered onto them for their upgrades.

Thanks for your concerm, "silverghost".

Personally, $500 is too much to spend on an aging computer like the Pismo. It's the best portable design I've seen in a long time. However, we're beginning to see it age. It just can't compete with G4 notebooks of today. I'll probably get a faster Ti when they are updated later this year.

650-megahertz G4's aren't viable. The TiBook at 500-megahertz already has a terrible heat dissipation problem. A 650-megahertz G4 would cause the Pismo to turn its already intrusive fan on more often. Plus, where would you get such a chip? Powerlogix isn't a big enough customer to justify ordering a production run from Motorola. They merely buy processors Apple's already expressed interest in.</STRONG>
Life has taught me not to be too sure about anything.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

chingwei
Jan 14, 2002, 04:23 PM

I CAN'T WAIT!!!

PeteWK
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 14, 2002, 05:06 PM

I remember when I bought a Newer 250/1mb card for my PB 1400. The box said it would make the thing up to 6 times faster. It was pretty much as advertised, I must say. Too bad whatever we get from Powerlogix isn't going to live up to the gains of the past upgrades.

PeteWK

siegzdad
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 14, 2002, 05:44 PM

I know I am definately interested in the upgrade. Especially if it will allow me to run DVD StudioPro or FCP on it. I personally am not impressed by the TiBook. IMO, it is too big for a portable, and has had its fair share of design flaws (airport antenna, feet falling off, dvd-slot, heat, flimsy screen, etc). I like having analogue audio ins, svga out, 2 x firewire and 2x usb, adn the ability to yank out my DVD drive to replace it with a CD-RW if I so choose.

I cannot justify the cost of a new notebook to my wife simply for a bigger screen, a hotter casing, and a slightly faster processor for me to make my wedding video and some of her non-union opera performaces into DVDs. However, I could easily sneak a CPU upgrade into the budget (I just had to upgrade her desktop (MB, CPU, Mem on a wintel box), she knows the life cycle is about 18 months). Its a difference of about $1799 (Apples web site lists the 550 w/combo drive Ti for $2299). And I won't need to worry about upgrading it for another year or two. Well worth it to me.

No, this upgrade is undoubtedly not for everyone, but for those of use who have been fans of the Pismo and want to run some of the AltiVec only apps, it is a great solution.
iMac therefor iAm

chingwei
Jan 14, 2002, 07:35 PM

Hey all,

I just noticed this on the Powerlogixweb site!

This is possibly old news, but I hadn't noticed it before, it's a G4 BlueChip upgrade for Powerbooks (although NOT for Pismo ). Priced at $549. And there's a note about it not going to sleep properly in Classic...

But is this what we are all talking about, or are we talking about something else (namely something that works with Pismo)? I got really excited when I saw it, but then I realized it might be old news...it's just that I'd never seen the BlueChip G4 advertised there before!

-Ching-Wei

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2002, 08:47 PM

Anyone know how many altivec units this G4 will have? Is it one of the newer ones with 4 altivec units or does it have just one? I was under the impression that altivec is dramatically better in the newer G4s. I would really like a G4 in my pismo. We'll see if I have the cash for it though. . .

Bluebomber21XX  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 15, 2002, 03:07 PM

If this BlueChip upgrade is the same one I was told would work on my Pismo, I'm going to be upset. However, since they've got one that'll work on a Lombard, how far can they be from releasing one that'll work on Pismos? I mean, a LOT of people have these computers...

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 15, 2002, 03:34 PM

<STRONG>If this BlueChip upgrade is the same one I was told would work on my Pismo, I'm going to be upset. However, since they've got one that'll work on a Lombard, how far can they be from releasing one that'll work on Pismos? I mean, a LOT of people have these computers...</STRONG>
It is not the same.

Lombards are 66mhz, Pismos are 100mhz, so a 500mhz card on each one would have to use a different multiplier. Also, the connectors for the lombard upgrade are different from the connector used on the Pismo.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

anly
Forum Regular
Jan 17, 2002, 12:47 PM

Can't wait until they actually release the specs....
Past Love:
Apple II, Mac SI, PB Duo, Pismo, iMac G4, Digital Audio
iMac Rev.A 256MB OSX10.3
PB 17" Rev. C 1.5Ghz
Current:
MacBook 2.0Ghz 10.5.2
MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz 17" 10.5.2

PaleoJim
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2002, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by anly:
<STRONG>Can't wait until they actually release the specs....</STRONG>

I'll settle for just the announcement at this point. The week is almost over and no word. I fear that Pismo upgrade may have been confused with the shipping date for the Lombard upgrade. Please someone tell me otherwise!

silverghost
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 17, 2002, 06:45 PM

Hi all well i checked powerlogix website and theres still no mention of any upgrades for the pismo; but there was a page asking for beta testers, but it didnt mention what products testers will have access to. Oh well i signed up and will post again when i get a reply.

aloha

skyman
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2002, 07:02 PM

<STRONG>Well, it's been anounced guys. PowerLogix has come out with a 500 MHz G4 upgrade for Pismo users. It will be available next week for $500.

I know I'll be getting one =D</STRONG>
I am not going to hold my breath on this.
MacBookPro 1.83GHz - 1.5 GB RAM - OS 10.4.6

anly
Forum Regular
Jan 17, 2002, 10:45 PM

Anyone know if the Cache-control software from PL for OSX will change the cache settings correctly for Pismo?? Anyone tried this yet?
Past Love:
iMac Rev.A 256MB OSX10.3
PB 17" Rev. C 1.5Ghz
Current:
MacBook 2.0Ghz 10.5.2

silverghost
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 18, 2002, 12:07 AM

<STRONG>Anyone know if the Cache-control software from PL for OSX will change the cache settings correctly for Pismo?? Anyone tried this yet?</STRONG>
Yes it works, ive got mine set to 2:1. Could be the placebo effect but to me it seems faster.

aloha

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2002, 03:03 AM

My second-generation Pismo is able to scale to 2:1 in any overclocking program. However, my first-generation Pismo is left at 2:5.

Apple might have used a newer daughtercard in later PowerBook G3's.

anly
Forum Regular
Jan 18, 2002, 05:01 AM

Interesting, I just downloaded the PLCC and it worked alright with my Pismo.
my processor is : PowerPC750 version: 0X00088300 I am running 2:1 , which is 200MHZ backside cache... I bought this m/c in April 2000. So I assume this is Rev.1 Pismo, Correct me if I'm wrong. Oh as for
"current L2CR , under Cache Control tab" its: 0xB9080000
Past Love:
iMac Rev.A 256MB OSX10.3
PB 17" Rev. C 1.5Ghz
Current:
MacBook 2.0Ghz 10.5.2

ARK
Forum Regular
Jan 18, 2002, 11:50 AM

<STRONG>Interesting, I just downloaded the PLCC and it worked alright with my Pismo.
my processor is : PowerPC750 version: 0X00088300 I am running 2:1 , which is 200MHZ backside cache... I bought this m/c in April 2000. So I assume this is Rev.1 Pismo, Correct me if I'm wrong. Oh as for
"current L2CR , under Cache Control tab" its: 0xB9080000</STRONG>
where are you downloading this from?
- Dual 1Ghz Quicksilver /w 1G RAM, GeForce4 Ti, 17" Studio Display, Soundsticks, 10.4.11
- iPhone 3G 16G Black
- 30Gig Video iPod

- MacBook Pro or iMac (soon hopefully)

YongHeun
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2002, 03:17 PM

The program mentioned above may be "G3/G4 Cache Profiler 1.5." It can be found in the Powerlogix website or Versiontracker website (http://www.versiontracker.com/). In my case, I couldn't change the setting for the speed of the backside cache.

anly
Forum Regular
Jan 19, 2002, 03:16 PM

Cache Control X now compatible with OS 10.1

Cache Control X 1.1b3 for OS X

This Download Package includes a beta version of Cache Control X.

Cache Control X is the OS X version of G3/G4 Cache Profiler (for earlier OS versions.)

Note: this supercedes Profiler X 1.0b1 as it has all the features of Profiler X and more. Profiler X is no longer available for download.

This software allows the configuration of L2 caches on G3 and G4 processors, as well as enabling or disabling of speculative addressing and dynamic power management. It also enables Altivec. Settings are retained during restarts. Command line support also included.

This software works with:

� Any computer that is running OS X with a G3 or G4 upgrade card of any brand

��Any PowerMac with a G3 or G4 processor except dual processors or 7450 processors

Use with G3/G4 Profiler 1.5 for full compatibility with Classic OS 9.x and OS X.

well I'm using OSX almost exclusively....remember this is for OSX, follow the readmefirst document....

cheers!

Here

[ 01-19-2002: Message edited by: anly ]
Past Love:
iMac Rev.A 256MB OSX10.3
PB 17" Rev. C 1.5Ghz
Current:
MacBook 2.0Ghz 10.5.2

chingwei
Jan 21, 2002, 01:25 PM

Originally posted by silverghost:
<STRONG>Hi all well i checked powerlogix website and theres still no mention of any upgrades for the pismo; but there was a page asking for beta testers, but it didnt mention what products testers will have access to. Oh well i signed up and will post again when i get a reply.

aloha</STRONG>
Where did you sign up to be a beta tester??

Thanks!
-Ching-Wei

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2002, 01:00 AM

<STRONG>Interesting, I just downloaded the PLCC and it worked alright with my Pismo.
"current L2CR , under Cache Control tab" its: 0xB9080000</STRONG>
I was talking about the 500-megahertz version. All 400-megahertz Pismos are able to scale. You have the first-generation Pismo with the yellowish Samsung LCD.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2002, 01:01 AM

Beta Testers
PowerLogix is looking for qualified beta testers with Apple machines made in 2000 to present. At this time, we cannot accept international addresses in our beta testing program. Please submit your equipment info to [email protected] and you will be contacted when an appropriate upgrade for your machine is developed.
[ 01-22-2002: Message edited by: seanyepez ]

silverghost
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2002, 08:46 AM

<STRONG>

I was talking about the 500-megahertz version. All 400-megahertz Pismos are able to scale. You have the first-generation Pismo with the yellowish Samsung LCD.</STRONG>
Hi sean would you happen to know how i could get my hands on the second gen LCD or maybe a brighter screen, ive got a first gen pismo 500 and i notice the screen is a bit on the yellow side, also im SOL i dont got applecare; thanks.
Oh yeah thanks for explaining my last post.

aloha

chingwei
Jan 22, 2002, 04:44 PM

Tuesday of "next week", still no update on the Powerlogix website...

Are you guys who reported the Pismo upgrade SURE of your source information?
I am starting to lose hope Has anyone tried calling them up or something? I tried emailing last week, and no reply, as expected.

-Ching-Wei

Divx
Jan 22, 2002, 04:51 PM

Originally posted by travelbook:
<STRONG>Yes, $500 feels a bit steep for a 500Mhz G4 upgrade, even when starting from a Pismo 400Mhz G3. But $500 for a 1Ghz G3 (FX?)-upgrade would be a different matter altogether.</STRONG>
You would rather put 1,000 people through a gate with 64 entrances than put 500 people through a gate with 128 entrances? You sound like one of those pro-ibm-bottleneck people, ick!
15" Al 1 Ghz.2gb.80gb

skyman
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2002, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by chingwei:
<STRONG>Tuesday of "next week", still no update on the Powerlogix website...

Are you guys who reported the Pismo upgrade SURE of your source information?
I am starting to lose hope Has anyone tried calling them up or something? I tried emailing last week, and no reply, as expected.

-Ching-Wei</STRONG>
It is all rumor based on ONE call to PowerLogix's customer service. You should never trust the info that customer service gives you.

Don't lose sleep over this rumor.
MacBookPro 1.83GHz - 1.5 GB RAM - OS 10.4.6

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2002, 07:35 PM

Originally posted by silverghost:
<STRONG>

Hi sean would you happen to know how i could get my hands on the second gen LCD or maybe a brighter screen, ive got a first gen pismo 500 and i notice the screen is a bit on the yellow side, also im SOL i dont got applecare; thanks.
Oh yeah thanks for explaining my last post.

aloha</STRONG>
www.pbparts.com

Specify an LCD manufactured by LG Electronics.

silverghost
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2002, 03:05 PM

<STRONG>

www.pbparts.com

Specify an LCD manufactured by LG Electronics.</STRONG>
Thanks sean, i was housesitting for the week and my pismo was parked next to the resident imac, and wow i immediately saw the difference; my screen was so dim compared to the imac.

Now as for the upgrade, the email i sent them to be a beta tester has gone unread, so maybe ill just save my money for a new powerbook(after japan expo ofcourse).

aloha

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2002, 09:02 PM

I think that would be a better route to take. The LCD upgrade isn't worth it. It's only worth it if your screen is completely unoperational.

Bluebomber21XX  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2002, 12:18 AM

Well, looks like I was wrong.

Bear in mind that I taking my information from one (1) PowerLogix rep at the OWC booth at MacWorld. Guess I was misinformed

Forum Links
Forum Rules