Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Any software for using flatbed scanners on OS X?

Any software for using flatbed scanners on OS X?
scottnichol
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2002, 02:47 PM

hello:

i keep hoping that UMAX would release OS X drivers for my 2000u scanner, but they're about as responsive as a dead cat. but it doesn't seem like i'm alone, since as far as i can tell NONE of the scanner manufacturers have drivers that run natively under OS X. hamrick's VueScan works well for some flatbeds, but doesn't support my UMAX.

AGFA has beta drivers for their scanners, but who even carries a SnapScan model anymore? i can't find one listed retail at any of the usual outlets.

i'd like a flat bed scanning solution, even if it requires buying a new scanner. if anyone has something that doesn't require classic mode, please post it!

thanks,
scott
scott nichol
mac:method - simply powerful software for mac os x
http://www.macmethod.com

xdck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2002, 03:06 PM

VueScan (from Hamrick software) supports a lot of flatbeds under OsX (except Umax at the moment). Interface is a bit harsh, but has great tools for color correction.
It costs $40, but it's less than a new scanner.
More info here.
//cblue.org

cejones
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2002, 03:18 PM

yeh, I am still waiting for Artec to come out with drivers for my flatbed... I am not holding my breathe, though.

I just switch into OS 9 when I need to scan

boots
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2002, 03:33 PM

With OS X the default now, I can't imagine that it will be too long. Scanners are another of those digital hub pieces that most people seem to get for free when they buy their computers from mac mall or some other catalog. I know that Epson, for example, has stated a commitment to OS X but has yet to release drivers. Perhaps they have been waiting for 10.2 so they don't have to release updates very often.

If Heaven has a dress code, I'm walkin to Hell in my Tony Lamas.

jtice
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2002, 09:22 AM

Originally posted by boots:
<STRONG>I know that Epson, for example, has stated a commitment to OS X but has yet to release drivers.</STRONG>
Epson is a lot more interested in selling $50 consumer printers than supporting graphic professioinals. They have a minimal professional base, relatively. Products and customers are disposable. I mean really, how long have they had to write a scanner driver for OS X? It's just a numbers game for them and they don't get paid to support previous sales.

J.
Now that everyone knows it's just a matter of waiting for 1.20.09.

Forum Links
Forum Rules