Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Anyone who purchases a G4 now is a fool

Anyone who purchases a G4 now is a fool
The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2002, 12:55 PM

$300 rebate for G4s in the Apple Store. Has ever been such a juicy discount by Apple Computer?

G5G5G5G5G5G5G DROOOoool

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
May 13, 2002, 12:59 PM

No G5's, just faster G4's. Apple already said this in January, that the G4's have a lot of life in them yet.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2002, 01:21 PM

Call me a fool; I just bought a G4.

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
May 13, 2002, 01:26 PM

If you need a new computer to do work and earn a living, buying one doesn't make you a fool; it makes you a responsible person.

And I agree: no G5 before MWSF.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2002, 01:47 PM

Originally posted by Timo:
<STRONG>Call me a fool; I just bought a G4.</STRONG>
You're a fool, and so am I. I loooove my dual gig.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2002, 02:09 PM

Originally posted by chris v:
<STRONG>

You're a fool, and so am I. I loooove my dual gig.

CV</STRONG>
Ah, I see. A fool for love!

Leia's Right Bun
Banned
May 13, 2002, 02:27 PM

Originally posted by The Godfather:
<STRONG>G5G5G5G5G5G5G DROOOoool</STRONG>
You're a fool if you think G5's are coming out soon

cdhostage
Mac Elite
May 13, 2002, 02:30 PM

There's no such thing as a G5. Motorola has never had any intention of actually helping the Macintosh, especially at delivering new products that might actually excite the marketplace and get them to buy stuff.
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
May 13, 2002, 02:52 PM

Originally posted by cdhostage:
<STRONG>Motorola has never had any intention of actually helping the Macintosh, especially at delivering new products that might actually excite the marketplace and get them to buy stuff.</STRONG>
The "clone payback" scenario? That's about as rational as banking on a G5 at Macworld in July.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

KellyHogan
Banned
Location: The Breakaway Democratic Banana Republic of Jakichanistan.
May 13, 2002, 03:34 PM

Apart from the iMac Superdrive all other Macs are over-price rubbish with poor upgrade paths and a slow OS. Quartz Extreme will get fatter every year and kill any Mac over six months old, G5 including.

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
May 13, 2002, 04:08 PM

Originally posted by KellyHogan:
<STRONG>Apart from the iMac Superdrive all other Macs are over-price rubbish with poor upgrade paths and a slow OS. Quartz Extreme will get fatter every year and kill any Mac over six months old, G5 including.</STRONG>
So ditch your Mac and keep your PC. Is that too hard to do?

MikeM32
Banned
Location: &quot;Joisey&quot; Home of the &quot;Guido&quot; and chicks with &quot;Big Hair&quot;
May 13, 2002, 06:39 PM

With the computer market, if you wait for the next best thing you'll be waiting forever. If you're in the market then buy now, screw waiting for "the next macworld".

Besides the $300.00 off is only if you purchase a 17" or 22" display.

Mike

[ 05-13-2002: Message edited by: MikeM32 ]

MikeM32
Banned
Location: &quot;Joisey&quot; Home of the &quot;Guido&quot; and chicks with &quot;Big Hair&quot;
May 13, 2002, 06:43 PM

[ 05-13-2002: Message edited by: MikeM32 ]

ford prefect
Forum Regular
May 13, 2002, 06:47 PM

I think it depends on how you go about it. If you wait for the next best thing, you have to deal with the problems that come with a first generation machine (ASSuming g5's were to come out in July which as we all know is doubtful). But if you buy a dual gigaherz with a decent graphics card, you'll have a machine that you know will work right, and if you buy now, you get it at a discount.

Or you could wait for the next big thing (what is it, 2 months now) and buy your dual gigs at an even better discount from the guy that NEEDS the newest best thing.

Anyone who buys an iBook right now could *perhaps* be considered a fool, or at least underlearned on what is going on in the mac world.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
May 13, 2002, 07:09 PM

Wait until later this week and see what tec is on the Rackmout motherboards, if it has a faster G4 and DDR RAM then yes, buying a NEW Quicksilver tower is a bit foolish. Better value would be to get a refurb from Apple, or just go for secondhand, if you really must have a G4 NOW and can't wait until Macworld. On the other hand if the Racks aren't that amazing then its unlikely the next G4tower upgrade is going to be something worth hanging on to your cash for.

Yakivegas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 2002, 07:52 PM

I agree with the "if you need it now, buy it now" camp. If you wait 'til Macworld, you never know if the machines are going to be available immediately (keeping in mind the Apple's definition of "shipping now" is a bit vague). You could conceivably be looking at August or September.

Also, the new rebates are on the CPUs themselves, no monitor purchase required.

chingwei
May 13, 2002, 09:04 PM

Originally posted by ford prefect:
<STRONG>I think it depends on how you go about it. If you wait for the next best thing, you have to deal with the problems that come with a first generation machine (ASSuming g5's were to come out in July which as we all know is doubtful). But if you buy a dual gigaherz with a decent graphics card, you'll have a machine that you know will work right, and if you buy now, you get it at a discount.</STRONG>
I agree with ford prefect. The last-of-generation models always hold their value longer than the first-of-generations. Take the Pismo for example. It was the culmination of an entire line of powerbooks for 2+ years (?), and it shows. And it is STILL quite desirable, because they at least have a 100MHz bus speed, they have removable drive bays, etc...

Now, if you had bought the first-gen TiBook, you would today be stuck with a G4 at only 400MHz, with a lower-quality LCD screen (than the new TiBooks), and a graphics card that is going to be essentially "obsolete" (at least MUCH less desirable) when OS X 10.2 comes out since the hardware Aqua acceleration requires a Radeon or GeForce...

So, let's say for the sake of argument that the $300 rebate is the sign of the end of the line for the Quicksilvers, and the beginning of some new line of "Super" computers (G5 or whatever). I think you'd be a fool to buy the first generation of the new line, and you'd be making a safe investment by buying the "best of breed", ultimate culmination of G4 PowerMac engineering in the Quicksilver today. With a great discount on it to boot!

Now, whether the next line is G5, I highly doubt, but that's another story...

-Ching-Wei

Nebrie
Mac Elite
May 13, 2002, 09:08 PM

Originally posted by MikeM32:
<STRONG>With the computer market, if you wait for the next best thing you'll be waiting forever. If you're in the market then buy now, screw waiting for "the next macworld".

Besides the $300.00 off is only if you purchase a 17" or 22" display.

Mike

[ 05-13-2002: Message edited by: MikeM32 ]</STRONG>
No, it's a separate rebate. If you buy a display, then you get $600 off.

Mac Elite
May 13, 2002, 09:30 PM

Originally posted by KaptainKaya:
<STRONG>No G5's, just faster G4's. Apple already said this in January, that the G4's have a lot of life in them yet.</STRONG>
The G4 might have a lot of life in it for the non pro towers... but I imagine we will see the whole G4 G3 thing over again, with the G5 in the tower.

I don't know, we could see the G5 in the towers MWSF. They had them at 1.3 Ghz last year... the G5's.... we know apple has them, they must be trying to get better yields or something, or something that will blow intel out of the water.

The most interesting rumor I heard was that the G5 was supposed to have p3 or P4 instructions, in its instruction base. Of course the chip would still run on a beefed version of PPC, with something better than altivec, but this would sure help in emulating PCs.

v0id7
Mac Elite
May 13, 2002, 09:40 PM

im investing in a pc...only $500 for quality parts if i build it
_______void_______

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
May 13, 2002, 09:42 PM

Originally posted by chingwei:
<STRONG>
So, let's say for the sake of argument that the $300 rebate is the sign of the end of the line for the Quicksilvers, and the beginning of some new line of "Super" computers (G5 or whatever). I think you'd be a fool to buy the first generation of the new line, and you'd be making a safe investment by buying the "best of breed", ultimate culmination of G4 PowerMac engineering in the Quicksilver today. With a great discount on it to boot!

Now, whether the next line is G5, I highly doubt, but that's another story...

-Ching-Wei</STRONG>
I agree. Remeber the Rev. 1 G4's and the mess that turned out to be?

Forum Links
Forum Rules