Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.2 System Hangs Frequently)

10.2 System Hangs Frequently)
jimcpherson
Aug 27, 2002, 11:35 AM

I've been using 10.2 for 2 days now, and I have been experiecing frequent hanging (spinning beachball cursor). Some times it clears up after a few minutes, other times I have to force restart the computer. I'm using Photoshop and Illustrator primarily throughout the day on a 800mhz TiBook with 512 MB RAM. What gives? Are other people having the same problem?

Guy Incognito
Banned
Aug 27, 2002, 11:41 AM

Originally posted by jimcpherson:
I've been using 10.2 for 2 days now, and I have been experiecing frequent hanging (spinning beachball cursor). Some times it clears up after a few minutes, other times I have to force restart the computer. I'm using Photoshop and Illustrator primarily throughout the day on a 800mhz TiBook with 512 MB RAM. What gives? Are other people having the same problem?
I'm getting complete system freezes...much worse than your problem imo.

nforcer
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2002, 12:31 PM

Likewise. My first complete system freeze happened last night after I installed Jaguar, and was playing with FTP in the Finder. A little while after connecting, the finder froze up, and as I went to other working apps to try to force quit stuff, they froze up as well. The dock was unusable so I tried to go to the Recent Items menu to connect to the terminal and kill some stuff, but guess what? The moment a working app tried to access that menu, it froze as well.

Thankfully Snapz Pro X allowed me to save some work I hadn't saved for a few minutes.

I still cannot contribute the problem solely to FTP in the finder, as since I have stopped playing with it, I have not had any freezes. But who knows, it could very well be something else.

I'll report more as I use Jaguar

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2002, 12:39 PM

Have you tried running MacJanitor to see if that reduces amount of Beachball time? Often helps reduce mine on 10.1.5 (I've not installed Jag yet).

Please report any effects (or lack thereof) after MacJanitor?

patrickgibson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2002, 02:17 AM

I tried to FTP to a server through the Finder. The first attempt with an anonymous login worked, but the second to a server with a login eventually resulted in a lockup. It prompted me for a username and password, and when I entered it, I got the spinning beach ball forever. I could switch to different applications, but I could not do anything. I could not even bring up the Force Quit window!

I have to say, I never had any such crashes when using 10.1.x -- this is a first for me.

Patrick
patrick gibson
http://patrickg.com/

jimcpherson  (op)
Aug 28, 2002, 09:05 AM

My complete system freeze happened when I was trying to FTP from the Finder as well. Has anyone had success with this? But, I've also had the system lock-up (spinning beachball cursor) that eventually goes away (after a minute or two) while working in Photoshop or iTunes. This never happened in 10.1.5.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2002, 10:11 AM

My dad's eMac is unresponsive whenever I put it to sleep under 10.2. This never happened in 10.1.5. The screen goes black, and nothing else happens, you don't hear the drive spinning down and don't get the pulse light either. Noting wakes it up, except holding the power key which forces it to shut down.

I hope this problem does not carry over to my Powerbook when I install 10.2 on it, since I really need sleep on the Powerbook.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2002, 10:17 AM

I get a system hang often on my BW G3. Just a perpetual spinning prettyball of death, which results in me hitting the reset button on the front of the box. I've discovered that unmounting a second drive in the internal bay eliminates this for the most part. I think it has to do with that drive spinning down, and when it spins back up I get the prettyball. Pretty sh1tty.

pdot
Senior User
Aug 28, 2002, 10:24 AM

Originally posted by xi_hyperon:
I think it has to do with that drive spinning down, and when it spins back up I get the prettyball. Pretty sh1tty.
Go to Energy Saver in System Prefs. Under the Sleep tab, make sure "Put the hard disk to sleep whenever possible" is not active. I have 3 hard disks (5 partitions) and yup, it gets real annoying with it on.
Current: XPC SB81P, 3GHz P4, 1GB RAM; Compaq Presario V2410US, Turion 64 ML-30, 512MB RAM
Previous: Sawtooth G4/400 448MB RAM
ATI Radeon 8500 64MB - flashed variant
OS X 10.3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399 37510
Future: 13" Widescreen Powerbook, Core Duo Intel

lookmark
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2002, 10:27 AM

I would wait for the 10.2.1 update before using FTP in Finder. It's very buggy.

Jaguar has been as stable for me as 10.1 -- so far.

CarpetFluff
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 28, 2002, 10:30 AM

I've had two freezes so far, one while burning a CD in the finder, same old story I can switch applications but nothing responds, I can't remember what caused the other freeze. It wouldn't be so bad if the machine would then start up right away but sometimes I have to sit there looking at the Apple logo and the twirly thing for as much as 20 minutes.

No wonder they took the smiley face away!
If it rained soup I'd have a fork in my hand!

hyperizer
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2002, 10:51 AM

Originally posted by pdot:
Go to Energy Saver in System Prefs. Under the Sleep tab, make sure "Put the hard disk to sleep whenever possible" is not active. I have 3 hard disks (5 partitions) and yup, it gets real annoying with it on.
I did this and my second hard drive still would go to sleep. Turning off Energy Saver altogether did the trick.

I would also recommend running DiskWarrior and PlusOptimizer after installing 10.2 (even on a clean install). I did this yesterday and it cleared up many of the delays I was experiencing.

memento
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2002, 11:02 AM

I was having freezes frequently on 2 machines - turning off all sleep functions in energy saver fixed it.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

sirlexelot
Forum Regular
Aug 28, 2002, 11:03 AM

I've had to force restart my iBook about 4 or 5 times since I installed Jag. It's absolutely ridiculous, because prior to jag OSX was uncrashable. Now it crashes almost daily. And when I say crash, I mean complete freeze. It feels like I'm running OS9. The worst part is there's no consistency - circumstances are different every time it locks up. I did do an upgrade install though, so I'm thinking about completely overhauling the entire iBook this coming weekend and doing a 100% fresh install. We'll see if it helps!
SirLexelot
10gig iPod, iPod Shuffle
Dual G4 867mhz Tower

Rampico
Aug 28, 2002, 11:31 AM

Frequent freezes. I can ping from another computer, but I can't ssh in to kill off anything.

Mine has mostly happened when I'm trying to quit OW (4.1.1 sp 1 and 2). Latest: crash catcher launched, but OW wouldn't quit. Froze the system.

I've had to force restart (dual 500, 1G RAM) numerous times.

Let's hope piracy is right (which he usually is), and we get an update in the next couple weeks.
My first computer: Apple ][e, 128k, dual floppies, 80 column text, and a mouse!

drjoe
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2002, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by Rampico:
Frequent freezes. I can ping from another computer, but I can't ssh in to kill off anything.

Mine has mostly happened when I'm trying to quit OW (4.1.1 sp 1 and 2). Latest: crash catcher launched, but OW wouldn't quit. Froze the system.

I've had to force restart (dual 500, 1G RAM) numerous times.

Let's hope piracy is right (which he usually is), and we get an update in the next couple weeks.
Yep, here too. Twice while running OW 4.1, once is opening trash, and once, I can't remember. This is definitely one step backwards. Had hangs [spinning beachball] in earlier versions and kernel panics [messing around] but NEVER a hard freeze.

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 28, 2002, 04:32 PM

I've seen a few "lock-up"s as well, so far they haven't happen ever since I discontinued use of both Distributed.net and the screensaver. I'm going to do more testing to see what was causing it, but I'm also seeing a terminal program quit out regurally with "bus error". It's the same version I had running fine for weeks on end under 10.1.5, so who knows what is wrong there.

So far, Jaguar hasn't been stable on my G4 cube, and I did a clean install to a new hard drive.

El Pre$idente
Banned
Aug 28, 2002, 04:34 PM

Where does OSX hang from?

Group51
Senior User
Aug 28, 2002, 04:45 PM

I got frequent system pauses when playing a large .wav file in the finder and once when doing a heavy iChat session (Macnn).

apart from that - no.

Lamont
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2002, 11:09 PM

My iMac (G3 400mHz graphite) is acting odd since updating to 10.2. Sometimes when I boot up, nothing comes on the screen. I hear the disc spinning up, but no picture. I can still shut it down by pressing the power button, then the return button, so the system seems to be loaded. Also, if it is left inactive for some period of time, it will crash. If it goes to sleep, it won't wake up. Even with energy saver off, sometimes it will become unresponsive. The cursor still moves, but no apps are responsive.

Lamont
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2002, 11:17 PM

Also, it always hangs when trying to use the "Screen Effects" pane of the system preferences.

I never had any of these (see my earlier post) with 10.1.5.

bluehz
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 29, 2002, 08:26 AM

Freq hangs (req restart) when accessing System Prefs - makes no diff which pref.pane. All pref.panes are approved for 10.2 also.

ScreenEffects seems most prominent cause, but like I said - makes no difference which one really.

Forum Links
Forum Rules